dcsimg

Review of Bosch OS50VC ½ Sheet Sander

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 330 total)
  • Author

The hook and loop pad would be nice but part of the attraction of this sander to me was the ability to use locally stocked paper. We keep a prety good stock of Festool paper for our 125s but I didn’t want to have to order different paper.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

The hook and loop pad would be nice but part of the attraction of this sander to me was the ability to use locally stocked paper. We keep a prety good stock of Festool paper for our 125s but I didn’t want to have to order different paper.

If you use the H&L pad, does that negate the ability to use other paper? On my FT I can use either/or. Just curious. I like H&L just for the convenience and it is worth the added cost to me.

Orange County, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve tried reading back through a lot of the posts here, and I think what I’ve figured out is that the half sheet sander is not the one to get for rapid material removal – right? It’s more of a higher end finishing sander. So what I’m looking for is likely the 1250DEVS I think? Or does Bosch have a belt sander I haven’t found yet? Or something else? Love the info on this model and would appreciate any pointers on where to go for what I’m looking for. Thanks!

Charlie

Instagram

This is not going to be an aggressive sander per se. Lower grit would work, but it will be slower than a RO type sander or belt sander.

Orange County, CA

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

@cmeyer25
    the 1250DEVS can be used in the aggressive mode and regular mode. It will remove quite some material. the OS50VC is more finish work

Bosch had a belt sander once but it has been discontinued since a few years. you can still find some on ebay or maybe craigslist.

the ROS65VC (random orbit sander with vibration control, works with 5″ and/or 6″ pads) is great for stock removal and finish work. I definitely like the vibration control on that unit.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Thanks @madman_us and @mrtooljunkie, have either of you used both the ros65vc and the 1250DEVS? I would like to get one or the other and I’m looking for quick material removal, but, from what I’ve heard, the ROS has much better anti vibration technology and it also would work with all the 5″ hook and look I already have on hand. But that it’s also not nearly as aggressive as the 1250…any thoughts?

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

I would like to get one or the other and I’m looking for quick material removal, but, from what I’ve heard, the ROS has much better anti vibration technology and it also would work with all the 5″ hook and look I already have on hand. But that it’s also not nearly as aggressive as the 1250…any thoughts?

That about sums it up.

I do not have experience with the Bosch sanders, but the equivalent Festool versions and you are correct. The 1250 is a dual mode and capable of fast stock removal and smooth finishes like the Rotex and the 5 inch RO sander is not as aggressive, but more for fine sanding and less vibration. Both have their purpose.

Orange County, CA

Doobie

I do not have experience with the Bosch sanders, but the equivalent Festool versions and you are correct. The 1250 is a dual mode and capable of fast stock removal and smooth finishes like the Rotex and the 5 inch RO sander is not as aggressive, but more for fine sanding and less vibration. Both have their purpose.

The Rotex 150 EQ is brutish. The Bosch equivalent is there too although I have no comparosinal, but all online compares have said such.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Im.been using the os50vc to sand some drywall works okry easy to maneuver . Collects 80% of the dust maybe even more if you go slow hooked up to the bosch vac090s vacuum here is the video.but i realize when hooked up to the vacuum feels like it loses power like slows down i dont know is it the vacuum or the sander or the outlet i was using no idea but im gonna try it home later

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thanks @madman_us and @mrtooljunkie, have either of you used both the ros65vc and the 1250DEVS? I would like to get one or the other and I’m looking for quick material removal, but, from what I’ve heard, the ROS has much better anti vibration technology and it also would work with all the 5″ hook and look I already have on hand. But that it’s also not nearly as aggressive as the 1250…any thoughts?

I don’t have the ros65 but i do have the half sheet sander and the antivibration on that is amazing. Now the 1250devs has never heard of anti vibration and just goes amazing material removal but it shakes you up like a james bond martini.

Doobie

Just got a second email from Atlas replying to my query as to what grits are available of 10 meter Abranet rolls as follows…..

Hi Kevin,

We can get these in 80, 100, 120, 180, 240, 320, 400 and 600 grit.

Regards,
    Aaron

Aaron Jacques

Atlas Machinery
    871 Islington Avenue
    Toronto, ON M8Z 4N9
    416 252 8527

Think I’d be looking to get 80, 120, 180, 240.

Just confirmed an order I placed for some Abranet rolls from Atlas along with an L-Boxx 3 for my sander and the imported insert for it. The L-Boxx won’t be in for a week or so.

Looking forward to getting this and trying it out.

Doobie

Just got a second email from Atlas replying to my query as to what grits are available of 10 meter Abranet rolls as follows…..

Hi Kevin,

We can get these in 80, 100, 120, 180, 240, 320, 400 and 600 grit.

Regards,
    Aaron

Aaron Jacques

Atlas Machinery
    871 Islington Avenue
    Toronto, ON M8Z 4N9
    416 252 8527

Think I’d be looking to get 80, 120, 180, 240.

Just confirmed an order I placed for some Abranet rolls from Atlas along with an L-Boxx 3 for my sander and the imported insert for it. The L-Boxx won’t be in for a week or so.

Looking forward to getting this and trying it out.

I’ve just discovered I’m gonna be running into a bit of an issue in regards to using the half sheet sander with the imported hook and look Bosch sanding pad and the Abranet sanding rolls I just ordered. Here’s the mini dilemma I’d like a better solution on.

A little background first. I just discovered via looking at using my Festool Pro 5 inch sander for the first time with my stock of Abranet sanding disks I already have on hand for my Mirka Deros that the hook and loop on my Festool sander is different than the ones on my Mirka sander. Basically, the Festool hook and loops are a lot shorter and are only suitable for fuzzy backed papers to adhere to. Fortunately, I have some 5in Mirka interface pads that came in promo packs of Mirka Abranet discs I received from Mirka witch can be used to interface the Abranet onto my new Festool Pro 5 sander. Good thing both of these were 5in sanders, so problem solved for the new Festool sander. Without the interface pad and its longer loops, the Abranet does not get enough grip and comes flying off per many comments I’ve now just confirmed via reading about such on the internet mostly found on the FOG.

But then it got me to thinking of whether the same type of short bristled hook and loop pad is inherent in the imported Bosch hook and loop pad I got for my Bosch half sheet sander. Sure enough that SOB ‘Murphy’ and his rules reigns again! CRAP! It’s the same type and I’ve got all these Abranet rolls coming at me I ordered from Atlas in the next week or so once the L-Boxx 3 I also ordered comes in that is on back-order.

So now I go look on the Mirka site for whether they make a half sheet sized interface pad. Of course. they do not, or at least from what I can find on their website right now pending calling them Monday morning and finding out for sure although seeing how extensive of interface pads I do see on their website, it is unlikely that they do have one for the half sheet sander size. I’ll confirm that this week after I speak to them.

I do believe that I can still use the Abranet on my Bosch half sheet sander with the imported half sheet sander hook and loop as it offers some grip to keep the Abranet sheets on and unlike the round turning 5in sander is less likely to ‘fly off’ in use, but I suspect it would also involve fastening the Abranet sheets to the sanders clasping system just like I would if I was using regular paper backed sandpaper. This would add more time to changing grits and it also eats up more of my Abranet rolls in having to cut them longer off the rolls in order to fasten them in the traditional manner to the sander. I think this is my worst case scenario, but ideally, I would like to have a 4 1/2″ by 9″ interface pad for it. But looking around on the internet, I don’t see this existing so far. Am I the first one to try to implement this? I can’t be.

Pending an easy solution from Mirka once I call them Monday (which I doubt), does anybody know where I can even simply buy interface sheets that I can custom cut to size what I need?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@doobie have you tried putting the abranet on straight with out the interface pad? how well does it work and does it do any damage that you suspect?

Doobie

@doobie have you tried putting the abranet on straight with out the interface pad?

I can’t yet on the half sheet sander as I don’t have the rolls yet as I mentioned in my post.

On the 5in sander, the sheets just come flying off after a while without the interface pad per others have said on the FOG as I also mentioned in my post.

Aaron, stop speed reading.

how well does it work and does it do any damage that you suspect?

I did just go and try that on my Festool Pro 5, and while it stays on for the one or so minute I tried it, I stopped using it as I could see it was in the process of clogging the surface of the short stranded loop and pad. I really don’t want to use it without an interface pad, as interface pads are a cheap consumable, whereas the actual base pad costs a lot more to change out.

You may be stuck with regular paper for the 1/2 sheet sander. I look to that sander to be my last grit to sand with or at most 2 grits so the amount of changing is not that big of an inconvenience. I do prefer cloth backed paper for that sander versus paper backed.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

You may be stuck with regular paper for the 1/2 sheet sander. I look to that sander to be my last grit to sand with or at most 2 grits so the amount of changing is not that big of an inconvenience. I do prefer cloth backed paper for that sander versus paper backed.

The cloth backed sure lasts longer. It’s my preference too.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

So now I go look on the Mirka site for whether they make a half sheet sized interface pad. Of course. they do not, or at least from what I can find on their website right now pending calling them Monday morning

Well, I just spoke to Mirka Canada and while they do have a half sheet sander sized padded interface, it has been discontinued. They are sending me out a box of 5 of them for free that they still have in stock. The reason they are discontinuing it is because it is too padded and people wanted a thinner interface which they currently do not make. I will await receiving this to report more on this. There’s some pics below of the Mirka interfaces that were forwarded to me from Mirka.

With that avenue somewhat exhausted, I then called Atlas in Toronto that is still holding my Abranet rolls order and asked them if they knew of a half sheet sized interface. Jeremy in websales is gonna ask their resident expert in this area Shimone at their Queen St store if they can offer any solutions or sources for my dilemma. I should hear back from Jeremy in a day or two. Fingers crossed.

I also called Festool USA on the slim hope that they had an interface pad for their half sheet sander that I could use on my Bosch sander. I spoke to an expert in their applications dept and was told they do not. This makes sense as why would they make an interface pad so that you could use a competing sanding medium product. But I thought I would try anyways.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

So now I go look on the Mirka site for whether they make a half sheet sized interface pad. Of course. they do not, or at least from what I can find on their website right now pending calling them Monday morning

Well, I just spoke to Mirka Canada and while they do have a half sheet sander sized padded interface, it has been discontinued. They are sending me out a box of 5 of them for free that they still have in stock. The reason they are discontinuing it is because it is too padded and people wanted a thinner interface which they currently do not make. I will await receiving this to report more on this. There’s some pics below of the Mirka interfaces that were forwarded to me from Mirka.

With that avenue somewhat exhausted, I then called Atlas in Toronto that is still holding my Abranet rolls order and asked them if they knew of a half sheet sized interface. Jeremy in websales is gonna ask their resident expert in this area Shimone at their Queen St store if they can offer any solutions or sources for my dilemma. I should hear back from Jeremy in a day or two. Fingers crossed.

I also called Festool USA on the slim hope that they had an interface pad for their half sheet sander that I could use on my Bosch sander. I spoke to an expert in their applications dept and was told they do not. This makes sense as why would they make an interface pad so that you could use a competing sanding medium product. But I thought I would try anyways.

lol you caught me speed reading. However can i possibly buy one of the interface pads from you ? I’ll have to talk to atlas and pick up some abranet rolls for my half sheet sander.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have access to the festool half sheet sander, actually working on a bosch and festool sander shoot out that should be live this weekend, but I can check and see of it is interchangeable at all. I know the festool pad is made so that their hook and loop paper can stick to it, so I would imagine that it would be the same kind of pad as the 5″ one that you said wouldn’t work. I would imagine that even if it does work festool wouldn’t tell you that it does. They want you to buy their sander.

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 330 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.319 seconds