dcsimg

Milwaukee M18 Cordless 18 Gauge Single Cut Shears – REVIEW

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  zarabrink 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

Hello everyone,

This is my review and personal experience with the Milwaukee M18 Single Cut Metal Shears.
    I have been using this tool since 2015 while I was working in Australia as a metal roofer, metal wall cladding, guttering, etc.

It was launched at the 2014 New Product Symposium. I can ensure you they are lightning fast, you can cut through metal after all(they have kinda offset blades design), they are a lot faster and much safer than hand tools.
    The “TRUE SHEARING”/cutting action is consistent and smooth, If you’re already invested in Milwaukee’s M18 RedLithium batteries, this is a really easy choice for sheet metal applications.

In fact most other metal shears, the head can be rotated to provide better cutting angles and access. What’s different here is the method of holding the head in the desired position; instead of using an allen key, you can press on a “tab” and rotate the head 360 degrees without the use of tools. There are index points every 30 degrees so the head can be locked into any one of 12 positions.

This tool is a sigh of relief for professionals that frequently cut through sheet metal. Hand tools, while effective, seem rather stone age in an era where we are pushing the limits of cordless boundaries. Other corded and cordless options are available, but are still awkward ergonomically. Milwaukee’s design keeps your wrist in line with the tool, leading to less soreness. A 360º degree rotating head means that you can still find an efficient working position from just about any angle.

Milwaukee’s cordless shears are available in 3 different models; 18-gauge single cuts shears for curved cuts, 18-gauge double cut shears for straight cuts, and 14-gauge double cut shears for straight cuts in heavier sheet metal. All are equipped with small clips that allow them to be hung from a belt or pocket.

According to what I read years ago, cordless shears were the number 1 most requested tool from Milwaukee by Mechanical and HVAC professional in North America.

A guy from Milwaukee told me once, rather than quickly putting a tool on the market that mirrored competitive units, they took their time to deliver true innovation in the category. Milwaukee pretty much came with a “ revolutionary in-line wrist design”, users will be able to push through cuts from behind the tool for better control during use, and with the new innovative tool-free 360º rotating head, users will be able to easily adjust their tool to cut in tight spaces from any orientation.

I never had any problem with it, I tried it with all metal roofing profiles available, even over ribs, mesh, flat sheets as well, painted and etc, I mean, its up to anything even though it has a brushed motor, it would be the only thing I can see being improved in the future.

In terms of metal shears I tested all of them, and being honest there is just one tool which is dead even, the Malco Turbo Shears attachment for corrugated metal, it does have those same type of offset blades.

So, I believe thats it guys.
    Any doubt let me know!

Specs:

Voltage: 18V
    Warranty: 5 Year Limited Warranty
    Battery: Lithium-Ion
    Charger: 18V charger
    Length: 18.5″
    Weight: 5.8 lbs
    Minimum Cut Diameter: 3″
    Capacity in Steel: 18ga
    Capacity in Stainless Steel: 20ga
    Tool Warranty: 5 Years
    Battery Warranty: 3 Year

Cheers,
    Ben.

Great review! I have never tried using a set of power shears. Must be better than dealing with person-powered ones

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

Great review! I have never tried using a set of power shears. Must be better than dealing with person-powered ones

Thanks man, First time I put my hands on it, my first impression was like… really? Seems odd, after first cut, its my FAVOURITE tool ever.
    So handy and fast, I strongly recommend this!

That is very cool. They look like they would even be better than the nibbler type I used to use in body shops. The air powered ones where you lose a strip of metal with each cut. Those little strips get underfoot everywhere if you don’t stay on top of cleaning them up.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

That is very cool. They look like they would even be better than the nibbler type I used to use in body shops. The air powered ones where you lose a strip of metal with each cut. Those little strips get underfoot everywhere if you don’t stay on top of cleaning them up.

Yeah Jim, cordless nibblers are good but this tool is better!
    I know some guys which left the air tools away cause cordless ones are much more convenient even 24/7 inside the workshop.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

That’s a great review. I’ve taken on quite a few jobs in the past where a set of these would have come in handy.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Great review of a very handy tool. It’s not a tool I have ever considered buying. Maybe someday?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Very nice you review you created here Ben.
    You can definitely put those tools to great use in your line of work.
    It would be nice if Bosch can send you their new 18V metal shear and/or nibbler for reviewing.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Awesome review thanks for sharing

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Nice review. I seldom work with metal and really not good at it when I do.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice review on the shears, Thank you for sharing. Did not know Milwaukee had this tool. Really like how the handle protects from getting cuts on the hand while cutting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

That’s a great review. I’ve taken on quite a few jobs in the past where a set of these would have come in handy.

I got myself in the same situation, after suffer quite a bit I discovered this gem!
    Thanks

Great review of a very handy tool. It’s not a tool I have ever considered buying. Maybe someday?

Pretty much, never say never haha.
    Thanks

Very nice you review you created here Ben.
    You can definitely put those tools to great use in your line of work.
    It would be nice if Bosch can send you their new 18V metal shear and/or nibbler for reviewing.

Thanks Alex, that would be a DREAM COME TRUE, the majority always review woodworking tools, but sheet metal stuff are quite rare.
    I did take a look into new Bosch 18v Nibbler and Shears…looks great tho

Nice review on the hears, Thank you for sharing. Did not know Milwaukee had this tool. Really like how the handle protects from getting cuts on the hand while cutting.

They got some time to think and they developed a ergonomic, fast and SAFE tool here. Its my #1 tool.
    Thanks

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Thanks Alex, that would be a DREAM COME TRUE, the majority always review woodworking tools, but sheet metal stuff are quite rare.

It sure would be nice to see a review from you as soon as they become available. Bosch should definitely keep an eye out for you 😛

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

It sure would be nice to see a review from you as soon as they become available. Bosch should definitely keep an eye out for you 😛

Lets wait for availability though.
    I would need just few days with those tools and then have a full review for you all.
    Bosch doesn’t even know I do exist lol.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Lets wait for availability though.
    I would need just few days with those tools and then have a full review for you all.
    Bosch doesn’t even know I do exist lol.

The only problem for now, when and if they come to NA 😛
    I do believe they are available in Germany, but I haven’t seen or heard anything about them yet

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, Ben, great review. I don’t know why folks aren’t using these around here. Maybe they just are not aware.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@bbernardesjr87 wow great review,
    Definitely wish these were available years ago when I was in sheet metal,
    Great that you don’t need any tool to rotate the head, I’m sure hvac and other trades love this shear
    What’s the runtime on that thing
    Obviously depending on the battery ah,
    How did it do on the painted surface of roofs, did you have to do any paint touch ups.
    Great review Ben

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

@bbernardesjr87 wow great review,
    Definitely wish these were available years ago when I was in sheet metal,
    Great that you don’t need any tool to rotate the head, I’m sure hvac and other trades love this shear
    What’s the runtime on that thing
    Obviously depending on the battery ah,
    How did it do on the painted surface of roofs, did you have to do any paint touch ups.
    Great review Ben

Hey Brian, thanks man!
    Normally it comes with 4.0Ah batteries in a kit, however I got a good runtime with those size batteries, for a killer runtime just get the 6.0Ah cause the 9.0Ah is way too overkill and HEAVY. In addition to that, you will never get a situation that I have to cut metal from Chigado till LA.
    No scratches, no marks, and leaving a “sealed” edge, with no rust at all.
    You may notice depending on what type of material you are cutting, that you might get some marks if you lift the off cut too high.
    It goes great in stainless, aluminium, galvanized, copper… etc.
    Frankly, its just a matter of time, in a couple hours you are going to feel this tool as an extension of your arm.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

No scratches, no marks, and leaving a “sealed” edge, with no rust at all.
    You may notice depending on what type of material you are cutting, that you might get some marks if you lift the off cut too high.

Nice to see it does a clean cut as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wauw this is great Ben! Thank you for sharing 🙂

http://www.wollongongroofingcompany.com/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.425 seconds