dcsimg

BTP Review: Comparing Bosch 4.0 Ah To Bosch CORE18V 6.3 Ah Batteries

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

With all the talk on here about these new Bosch CORE18V 6.3 Ah batteries I was curious of the difference between them and the 4.0ah I have, So after receiving two of them yesterday with the GBH18V-26K Rotary Hammer kit I decided to do some comparison tests of my own. I used a digital laser beam tachometer with 4 different tools, Although the tools I used are not really optimized to extract all of the Bosch CORE18V 6.3ah capabilities nor is this test very scientific or controlled. It’s just a no-load high speed top-end rpm test, Wish I could figure out a true way to test torque but I don’t have a dynamometer…

The first thing I noticed with the Core is it’s heavier than I expected, Fine for some tools but not sure I’d want to use it all day on a nice little compact socket ready impact or drill. You don’t really need it for those anyway, They’re more for the heavy power consuming tools like saws, grinders, the big 500 ft lb impact gun etc…

I was a little disappointed that it wouldn’t fit properly on my 18v circular saw, Although I was able to get it on far enough to make contact for this test. But the problem is the Core battery is slightly bigger and contacts the housing of the saw not allowing it to slide in all the way, Needs about a 1/4″ more to lock in properly……. However, I recently found out Bosch has a CCS180 18V circular saw upgrade for this saw to allow the CORE18V 6.3ah to be used on it. And it’s a free upgrade from any Bosch Authorized Service Center.

The tools I used for comparing;
    DDS182 Drill/Driver
    CRS180 Reciprocating Saw
    CCS180 Circular Saw
    CAG180 4 1/2″ Angle Grinder

One thing I found while testing with all these tools is they actually gain speed for the first minute or so with either battery, I’m talking up to 150 rpm. For a fair accurate test I didn’t record a reading till the tool topped out, I don’t think it’s anything to do with the batteries. I think it’s the tools, Probably takes a little time to get the bearings warmed up etc.

So you really can’t make a comparing opinion of these batteries after like driving one screw or cutting a couple inches in a board, it could make a big difference if both tools/batteries aren’t the same temperature warm or cold. It’s strange I know but another variable that has to be considered.

Ok here’s the results;

DDS182 Drill/Driver, This tool is rated up to 1,700 rpm…

4.0ah – 1686 rpm
    Core 6.3ah – 1694 rpm
    A difference of 8 rpm, Core wins

CRS180 Reciprocating Saw, This test was in ‘Strokes Per Minute’ (Pretty cool that my tachometer can do that huh?) Rated 2,700 spm…

4.0ah – 2580 spm
    Core 6.3ah – 2591 spm
    A difference of 11 spm, Core wins

CCS180 Circular Saw, This tool is rated 3,900 rpm….

4.0ah – 4030 rpm
    Core 6.3ah – 4090 rpm
    A difference of 60 rpm, Core wins.
    Both turned it faster than the rating

CAG180 4-1/2″ Angle Grinder, This tool is rated 10,000 rpm

4.0ah – 9427 rpm
    Core 6.3ah – 9446 rpm
    A difference of 19 rpm, Core wins
    Neither turned it to the rating

Keep in mind this was just a high speed top-end no-load test, Probably doesn’t really mean a whole lot about torque or run time. But I would guess the Core 6.3ah wins in those categories as well

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I will be interested in run time differences between a 4.0 standard and a 6.3 core. is the run time significantly greater than the percentage difference in the AH

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will be interested in run time differences between a 4.0 standard and a 6.3 core. is the run time significantly greater than the percentage difference in the AH

Me too and good question, I know the 4.0ah lasts quite a bit longer than the 2.0ah. So maybe this 6.3ah should last about that much again longer huh?

Thanks for testing that! I wish there was some way to max them out while measuring. Higher maximum discharge rate wont matter if the tool isn’t drawing from the high end

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thanks for testing them out, it is interesting to see the difference and how it handles no load. next test full bog down load.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Cool test. Thanks for that. I would bet under load you could really tell a difference

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Thanks for throwing a few real world results out for us. I was (and still am) curious as to if I’d see much difference in tools with it. Glad to see you had the circular and reciprocating saws on there, they are the ones I’m most interested in.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks for doing this Dabbs. I’m more than a little surprised with the results. The way everyone had talked the Core would just blow away the other battery’s. I don’t see this being the case. At least in this test.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

Thanks for taking the time to do these tests Boyd. Seems based on RPM alone, the Core is marginally better. Not a big enough difference to warrant getting one on that basis alone for me.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thanks for doing this Dabbs. I’m more than a little surprised with the results. The way everyone had talked the Core would just blow away the other battery’s. I don’t see this being the case. At least in this test.

Yeah that is what I figured as well. Guess I’ll just acquire the batteries as I buy the kits. Not a whole lot of difference.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yeah that is what I figured as well. Guess I’ll just acquire the batteries as I buy the kits. Not a whole lot of difference.

i had thought that as well, i thought it would’ve been a larger difference. sorta of like oh the reciprocating saw with the core has finished cutting this 2×8 while the original 4am is still starting to cut.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX for the tests Dabbs.
    It is good to see at least under no load that the Core upped the numbers a bit more than the regular battery.

Is there a reason you wouldn’t modify your circular saw so the Core can lock in? It appears that their would be an advantage to use the Core on the circ.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Some great information, thanks for the testing Boyd,
    Looking like we are getting to the CORE lol This battery lol

Will be interesting to see some more results in the runtime comparison
    But so far it does look like it gives them a bit more power.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

@boschmanbrian i see what you did there lol. the whole purpose of this batteries name is to create puns

ill mess around with th battery on the circ once i grond down the two tabs which prevent it from locking in

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

@boschmanbrian i see what you did there lol. the whole purpose of this batteries name is to create puns

ill mess around with th battery on the circ once i grond down the two tabs which prevent it from locking in

Dont do it!

As @bethepro mentioned in another thread, there is now a new handle that does not have this problem, and it is available free of charge to anyone with the older model. Just contact customer service and they will mail you one

I guess, you could grind it down while you wait, since its getting trashed anyways

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thanks for the comparison, it looks like the core is definitely better than a lot of people thought it would be. Hopefully the people that were in doubt will wake up and see the results now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Problem solved for the CCS180 to accept the Core battery, check it out. Think I’ll go ahead and get one https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/making-the-bosch-18v-circular-saw-the-best-it-can-be/page/5/#post-621922

Doobie

Problem solved for the CCS180 to accept the Core battery, check it out. Think I’ll go ahead and get one https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/making-the-bosch-18v-circular-saw-the-best-it-can-be/page/5/#post-621922

Yes there is a handle replacement that replaces the original CCS180 handle that accepts the CORE18V. There are several ways to get the free replacement handle upgrade:

1) You can call customer service at 1-877-BOSCH99 1-877-267-2499 Mon-Fri: 7:00-19:00 CST

2) You can use the E-Repair service to submit your request

3) You can send Bosch Customer Service an email through the Contact Form

Any one of these methods they will help you find a Bosch Service Center in your area to do the upgrade to your Bosch CCS180 18V circular saw. There is no cost for the upgrade, but you have to get it scheduled through the ways described above.

We hope this is helpful.

Now that is cool. Kudos to Bosch for doing that.

But does it require bringing the tool in to get it done, or can they just ship the retrofit handle and we do ourselves?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes there is a handle replacement that replaces the original CCS180 handle that accepts the CORE18V. There are several ways to get the free replacement handle upgrade:

1) You can call customer service at 1-877-BOSCH99 1-877-267-2499 Mon-Fri: 7:00-19:00 CST

Any one of these methods they will help you find a Bosch Service Center in your area to do the upgrade to your Bosch CCS180 18V circular saw. There is no cost for the upgrade, but you have to get it scheduled through the ways described above.

We hope this is helpful.

But does it require bringing the tool in to get it done, or can they just ship the retrofit handle and we do ourselves?

I’m fighting that very question right now with a Bosch customer service rep that no speaka Englis so good, Been on hold a few times while he checks but he always comes back calling it a ‘modification’ rather than a replacement handle and says the tool must be taken in to your local authorized service center.

I called mine and they’ve never even seen a Bosch 18v circular saw and know nothing about a new Bosch battery not fitting, I’m beginning to think there isn’t an actual replacement handle. Perhaps the service center will cut the tabs off like we can do, To be continued I’m not done with them yet…………

Doobie

We hope this is helpful.

I’m fighting that very question right now with a Bosch customer service rep that no speaka Englis so good, Been on hold a few times while he checks but he always comes back calling it a ‘modification’ rather than a replacement handle and says the tool must be taken in to your local authorized service center.

I called mine and they’ve never even seen a Bosch 18v circular saw and no nothing about a new Bosch battery not fitting, I’m beginning to think there isn’t an actual replacement handle. Perhaps the service center will cut the tabs off like we can do, To be continued I’m not done with them yet…………

I’d just try calling back and try another rep. Sometimes, that’s what you gotta do til you get the rep who knows what’s going on.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.519 seconds