dcsimg

BTP REVIEW: Centipede Sawhorse (2′ X 4′ Model)

This topic contains 26 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kevin Doobie 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

As a result of a recent thread on the Centipede Sawhorse and Centipede XL, I went out and bought what seems to be the only Centipede Sawhorse currently available in Canada. That thread is here:

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/centipede-sawhorse/

So I finally got around to pulling out the 2X4 smaller model Centipede sawhorse I bought over a week ago and was trying out a few different things with it before I was interrupted this afternoon by thunder storms. Think I got enough play time with it to give it a proper judgement, so here goes…

First, opening it up is a no-brainer. It opens easily and gladly. Closing it on the other hand is a little bit of work in a sense as you basically end up leaning it on one corner of its legs and wiggling it to collapse. Not difficult for the smaller model, but I’m figuring it may represent an element of frustration for the much larger 4X8 XL model.

In it’s carry bag, it came with two plastic hold downs that frankly I think are of little use, and four brackets to hold 2X4 boards across the top, which I did use and were OK. They can readily be positioned on any of the 6 uprights of this smaller Centipede sawhorse. There was also some instructions that came with it which I will read when cows can fly.

Once open I put it on a level surface (a temporary pool deck) and put a sheet of 15mm Baltic Birch ply on it and proceeded to stand on it. It wobbles a bit by an inch or two side to side, but it held my 240lb weight without a problem and at no time did I feel I was going to fall or it would collapse on me. Note, I did not try doing The Twist or The Time Warp on it though. Just a gentle back and forth. The uprights are strong, but it’s the flimsy cross braces that I just know if you wham into this thing the wrong way with the wrong force, they’re gonna turn to bent and troublesome usage.

Then I went and set it up on the grass which is on a slight slope (dip of my backyard grades about 5 inches every 15 feet or so) and used another old plastic sawhorse to place three 5/8ths PT ply boards on it and then stood on that. The movement on the end of the Centipede would now be more pronounced when standing on it. Maybe 3-4 inches of sway on it. This could be worse possibly IMO if I was using two Centipede Workhorses versus my perfectly solid sawhorses I was actually using to hold up the other end.

Basically, this unit IMO is good for a collapsible instant table to rest stuff on it. I would not use it for a work platform, nor would I use it for cutting with my track saw either. I do NOT see this for real jobsite use, but for a homeowner who has a vigilant attitude to taking care of their work site/area, this is an easy to set up little table to hold your ‘crap’. Even somewhat heavy crap. I believe it could actually be dangerous using certain working machinery on it. With its wobble factor, imagine you are cutting something and somebody bumps into it. A possible dangerous fiasco or one that could ruin your work.

I could see this being handy for doing painting tasks like boards/sheets/trim with a spray gun, but I question how well it would work with other painting methods because it basically will wobble maybe just enough to be a nuisance for certain paint jobs.

Not even sure I’m going to keep this one or get another one even. Ideally, one should probably have two of these smaller Centipede Sawhorses which more or less works out to what one would be paying for the larger 4′ X 8′ Centipede XL model. At $70 CDA for just one Centipede Sawhorse, it’s overpriced imo. Should be in the $40 to $50 range.

I can see this maybe useful for an instant table for on the go picnic or camping or for temporary use around the house, but not in a crowded venue unless it is set up against a wall. I don’t think it would be wise to put drinks on it.

Some suggestions have been made that it would be good at yard sales or for display purposes at flea markets. I see limited use for that as I would not put anything fragile or prone to tipping on it. It’s a bit too much of a bobble-head basically for a lot of things.

I have no idea how the larger 4X8 XL is in comparison insofar as the wobble factor, but as I said earlier, collapsing an XL may be a two man job or a struggle for one person to do.

The Centipede website is here for those looking for more info or to search for where they can buy them…

http://centipedetool.com/centipede-portable-work-system/

Frankly, unless I can come up with a real good reason for keeping it that I haven’t thought of yet, I have other things already that can do what this does and mine is likely going back to the store for a refund.

Kevin.

Profile photo of Jie
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Thanks for the review, the tubes do look quite small for any sort of steady platform. If they used heavier duty stuff like those you see on commercial folding tents it’ll probably be a lot better.

For $70 though, seems you’ll be better off buying the folding plastic picnic table from Costco.

Thanks for posting the review. A little disappointing that you do not think it would work for a track saw cutting base or for any work table. Appreciate the info.

Orange County, CA

Profile photo of Ryan
    RyanF
    Pro

Kevin,

I’m curious why you wouldnt use it with your track saw? Is it safety concerns?

I don’t know, if you’re 240 pounds, I don’t consider an 1″ or so to be much wobble if you’re standing on it. That actually seems pretty solid to me.

Thanks for that review you took some time and the right up was great. Needless to say I will not be looking into buying one anytime soon.

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thanks for the review, I guess I won’t buy it for house work related projects.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Kevin,

I’m curious why you wouldnt use it with your track saw? Is it safety concerns?

I don’t know, if you’re 240 pounds, I don’t consider an 1″ or so to be much wobble if you’re standing on it. That actually seems pretty solid to me.

Safety primarily. When I’m cutting, whether it be with a track saw or some other power tool, you don’t want to be on what I would describe as a bed of jello. Imagine a piece disengaging after a cut and where it could go to and jamb against causing a kickback of sorts. I wouldn’t be confortable with this thing as it wobbles no matter what weight you’ve got on it in normal usage. I wanted to stand on it to see if it either had a feeling of buckling or to see if weight loads could solidify it basically.

I would never free hand use a router on this. That’s for sure.

This stuff is junk imo, but again, the larger XL may be better in some respects, but I doubt it’s going to be dramatically different overall.

Kevin.

thanks for the review Kevin. Do you think building a little workstation for a miter saw or table saw ( I believe they do this on their website ) using the centipede would help with stability?

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

thanks for the review Kevin. Do you think building a little workstation for a miter saw or table saw ( I believe they do this on their website ) using the centipede would help with stability?

Not sure what you have in mind, but would you use a table with wobbly legs? That’s what this thing is. And with one good shove in the wrong direction, those legs would bend out of shape and the whole rig can easily become useless.

Kevin.

Profile photo of Bill
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Kevin Thank you for the review. Appreciate the time spent evaluating the product. I think for my needs it may work out.

Profile photo of Garry
    gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Good review, and it seems to be pretty much exactly what i pictured it being, i don’t care for wobbly tables either!

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I just came back from the Home Hardware where I bought it for a full refund.

Spoke to the very helpful manager there who assisted me with getting a hold of one and told him of my thoughts on it. He said he would just be returning it to their distribution centre rather than try to sell it.

Curiously, there was a lady in line at the returns desk who was very interested in it, but balked when she was informed of the price.

Kevin.

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I wonder how well the centipede is selling the states, if there are any little mods that would somehow make it stiffer.

Well, I was really hoping to hear good things about this, but it sounds like it is not worth its price. Thanks for sharing the scoop!

John S

Profile photo of Jie
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I just came back from the Home Hardware where I bought it for a full refund.

Spoke to the very helpful manager there who assisted me with getting a hold of one and told him of my thoughts on it. He said he would just be returning it to their distribution centre rather than try to sell it.

Curiously, there was a lady in line at the returns desk who was very interested in it, but balked when she was informed of the price.

I never took Home Hardware for a real tool/hardware store. There’s only a tiny one around here and it’s more of a decor store. Maybe it’s different elsewhere.

Profile photo of Art
    amulder
    Pro
    London, ON

Ditto the rest… thanks for the review, Kevin.
    I think you made the right choice in returning it.

For $70 though, seems you’ll be better off buying the folding plastic picnic table from Costco.

I was thinking of those folding rubbermaid tables…

www.wordsnwood.com

Profile photo of Jie
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Close enough, from the sound of it it’s probably more sturdy than the sawhorse.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I never took Home Hardware for a real tool/hardware store. There’s only a tiny one around here and it’s more of a decor store. Maybe it’s different elsewhere.

Mine in town is actually originally a hardware store from the 60’s that joined the HH group a few decades ago. They’re actually pretty good and a lot of people in town really like them and recommend them to others without hesitation. That’s how I came to using them when I moved here 15 years ago.

Basically, not all smallish HH stores are the same imo. There are some gems out there and mine is thankfully one of them. I don’t use them as often as I should though, it is easier to go to HD even though they are further away from me.

Kevin.

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks for the work& review on the tubie table Doobie.. I’m glad you did the leg work so now I no need to wonder about it..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Thanks for the work& review on the tubie table Doobie.. I’m glad you did the leg work so now I no need to wonder about it..

I initially thought when the other thread came up that the unit was a POS. But looking at their video and thinking about different applications for me got me intrigued enough to check it out. At least I know now, that it is pretty useless for me, and I hope also that it helps others to not waste their time on this gimmicky toy.

Kevin.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.306 seconds