dcsimg

Review Bosch Model 1619EVS Router in a Table

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I was fortunate enough to receive a Bosch 1619EVS router as a redemption from BeThepro.com. I chose this model to mount below a Freud table I had purchased a couple of months ago to replace an old table and router combination that has seen better days. The Freud table was just a table and corresponding precision fence; no lift was included. The stand is based on a Norm Abrams design and is mounted on a shop built cart which was available. Not a perfect setup, but it does the trick so far. My goal was to create a functional, easy to manage router station without resorting to an expensive lift. The 1619EVS is the key to the success of this project.
    The 1619EVS comes with an extension for the fine adjustment knob, a dust collection shroud, both 1/4” and ½” collets, collet wrench and a template guide adapter. It is a big machine; 15A and over 13 lb.

The router is mounted to the table according to the Bosch instructions and centred using a ¼” pilot shaft and an insert bushing. Instructions are clear and easy to follow. It’s a close fit in the table but no problems. All of the adjustments, levers, locks, control knobs etc. are accessible at the front of the tool in the enclosure. The speed control is operated easily below the tool. The plunge spring defeat feature is simple to use and makes a huge difference setting the router up for a cut.
    I locked the trigger in the on position and added an outside paddle switch to control power to the tool.
    Lifting the router to cutting position is easily done by releasing the coarse adjustment lock, lifting the router to a rough setting and resetting the lock. Fine adjustment is done with the fine adjustment knob with its extension (supplied accessory) and offers enough precision for any task. That’s all there is to it!

Bit changes require the router to be lowered in this table for proper access to the collet. The spindle lock really helps to make bit changes easier.

Once the router was mounted and checked out, I needed a task to do to see just how well the router performed. I had to replace a damaged door from a kitchen pantry so I milled up some oak to build the replacement. Set the router for the stiles and ran them through. I did that using two passes. The 1619EVS hardly slowed. The electronic variable speed control ensures that the speed set is maintained through the cut and not affected by load.

Next the rails were trimmed to length and profiled. Setup for this cut was very simple. Lower the router, change bits, raise to a rough setting, fine tune, test cut and final adjustment. The rails were cut using a mitre guide and a backer strip to minimise blowout. Again, two passes were taken to complete the profile.

Dry assembly to confirm fit and the door was ready for adding the panel and final glue up

The final step after gluing and trimming the rails to length was to add an edge profile to match the other doors. A single pass did the job easily.

Summary:
    The 1619EVS is all that I was expecting. Powerful and versatile. It can go from hand held to table mount with very little effort. The plunge spring disable feature means that it can be table mounted without removing it from the plunge base or making any modification. I expect it can be mounted or removed from the table in well under 15 minutes including centring in the baseplate.
    Adjustments are simple and convenient; all controls are up front when table mounted. It holds settings securely.
    A couple of questions remain; will it overheat in its enclosure and will it continue to hold settings during an extended run? I am expecting that the dust collection makeup air will be sufficient to keep it cool and I see no reason for settings to drift. I have not yet worked with it enough to answer those questions with any authority.
    Overall, I am impressed with the power, the quiet operation, the smoothness of cut and the ease of handling.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Peter,
    Great write up.

I would suspect that the air movement of the DC will be sufficient to keep the router cool.
    As for keeping its settings, I have found as long as the “Micro Adj” is tight your settings should not change. At least that was my findings on the MRP23 Router.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Do you have any other Bosch routers? I have always wondered how the 1619 compares to the 1617 or MR23, especially in a table

So far, I havent been able to exceed what my 1617 can handle, so Im curious as to what benefit the 1619 brings

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Good review smallerstick. The 1619 sounds like a nice router.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Peter thank you for the write up. Very informative. Looks like its going to work like a champ. You put in a lot of efort into the set up and its going to pay off, Im jealous…….:)

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Great write up and review. Looks like you will get many years of service out of this set up. The cabinet is a nice one. Good to know that the instructions were clear.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Do you have any other Bosch routers? I have always wondered how the 1619 compares to the 1617 or MR23, especially in a table

So far, I havent been able to exceed what my 1617 can handle, so Im curious as to what benefit the 1619 brings

The power is nice to have for sure. I am looking forward to seeing just how easy it will be to demount from the table and use hand held. If it is half as easy as I think, that will be a huge bonus.

Thanks for the comments, guys, it is a really nice setup to use.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thanks again for taking the time to do another great review for us.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Peter, Thank you for the great review. I really need to get a router and a table. Looking at your pictures very nice job on the router table.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Another great review, thanks.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks guys and thanks Jim and BTP staff for giving us the opportunity to evaluate these great tools and share our experience.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Nice overview of the tool and its function. Sounds like a great router! Any reason you chose that specific model instead of the 1617 or the MR23?

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, Charlie. i chose the 1619 first because of the power and, second because I think it is the only plunge router easily adaptable to a table mount. The plunge spring defeat feature allows override of the plunge springs when table mounted.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Excellent review ss ! Would the offset collet wrenches help with bit changes ?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Excellent review ss ! Would the offset collet wrenches help with bit changes ?

Thanks @sprokitz No I don’t think so. There is a collar in the mounting plate that would prevent that. It can only be removed by removing the fence first. It’s much easier to drop the router in the table for bit changes and use the flat wrench. It really isn’t a big deal to change bits.

@smallerstick wow Peter , very nice write up and review , plus nice pictures , looks like its doing great , and once again great quality work on the router table build , thanks for sharing , always a pleasure following your work,

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

great review, i nearly got the 1619 myself but was persuaded to get the 1617 due to @montreal_medics suggestions.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Very nice review smallerstick. thanks for taking the time writing it.
    the router sure looks like a beast

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@smallerstick it seems like a beef cake of a router. And being able to get around the plunge mechanism makes it make sense for the table. Is it the high hp of the Bosch router family?

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick it seems like a beef cake of a router. And being able to get around the plunge mechanism makes it make sense for the table. Is it the high hp of the Bosch router family?

It is a beast for sure, and yes, the big daddy of the line.

The spring defeat and the HP are what drew me to this model.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.501 seconds