dcsimg

Review: Bosch IDH182 18V EC Brushless Socket Ready Impact Driver

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=idh182-02

I received the Socket Ready Impact Driver – IDH182 back on September 10th from BTP. It is nearly everything I expected it to be. This is the first impact driver I’ve owned, but I have used them quite a bit over the last few years(Hitachi’s and Dewalt’s mostly.)

Pro’s
    I’m most impressed with the ability of the highest power/speed setting’s ability to break loose the lug nuts one my car. When I first got it, I went up to Tractor Supply(the cheapest place I know of to buy bulk bolts) and picked up a variety of sizes of grade 2 nuts & bolts in order that I could test the bolt snapping abilities of the different power levels. I put a nut in the vise, tightly, ran a bolt down into the nut and then put the impact to it hard. I didn’t manage to snap a bolt because instead, the nut would actually round off and spin in the vise under the tremendous hammer impacts. I tried again last night and was able to snap 1/4″ bolts on both the medium and high settings. I couldn’t break a 5/16″ bolt on medium setting and all I had was grade 2 nuts and they spun in the vise jaws on the high setting so no accurate results there.

For metal roofing, I keep it on the middle setting and it drives to roof screws just about exactly right. I do find the medium speed does have some trouble getting the self-drilling screws to drill through the metal without skating and scratching the paint. That issue is easily solved by pre-drilling the sheets or otherwise creating a starter hole for the tip of the screw(my preferred method is a nail, since it only creates a small hole and the screw finished creating the hole in the metal, resulting in the tightest, smallest hole possible around the screw.)

For general screwing applications, I keep the power setting at either medium or high. Controlling screw depth isn’t any more difficult as these speeds are the same speeds as most other impact drivers and its as simple as releasing the trigger. As I note below, the low setting is very slow and isnt’ something I’d recommend unless your in soft materials where the fastener may strip the hole.

I’d also like to note this tool really likes the 4.0A/hr batteries(it comes with 2 of them). I’ve got a couple small batteries(either 1.5A/hr or 1.8A/hr) and the tool seems rather weak with them.

Con’s
    The only real issue I’ve had with it has to do with the speed/power levels. The low speed/power setting is good for driving small fasteners without stripping BUT the speed it does so at is mind numbingly slow. I believe this is due to the different speeds/power settings having to share the same hammer mechanism and is a compromise that must be made in order to have the wide range of power/speed bands the tool possesses. The medium setting WILL strip hinge screw holes putting up doors.

Conclusion
    I think the IDH182 is an excellent tool for light/medium duty use as an impact wrench and is also excellent for driving longer screw/screws that your not worried about stripping the hole. I don’t consider it an ideal tool if you have a lot of small/light duty screwing to do where your concerned about stripping the screw hole, especially considering the alternative impact drivers that can do the job much faster. I think that if you had this impact driver and either a 12v or light-duty 18v impact, you could accomplish 99.9% of tasks ordinarily run into on a construction site involving threaded fasteners.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

Thanks for taking time out to create this review Dustin.

What are your thoughts about the IDH-182-02 and it’s ability to serve as a hex and 1/2 impact driver? Are there any shortcomings?

Bert

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Thanks for taking time out to create this review Dustin.

What are your thoughts about the IDH-182-02 and it’s ability to serve as a hex and 1/2 impact driver? Are there any shortcomings?

As a 1/2″ impact driver it meets light to medium duty tasks. As a a 1/4″ hex, I find it good for course thread drywall/deck screws but I find it to be either exessively slow or overpowered for standard wood screws.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Thanks for the review, I have the Socket Ready Impact also and cannot say enough good things about it. As you say, it is not a replacement for a full sized 1/2″ corded or cordless impact however. I think the best part of the design is not having to search for a 1/4 hex to 1/2″ square adapter and not having the adapter allows you to get into tighter spots as well.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Do any of the models of socket impacts let you set the pounds of tension or is that still the manual way. I need some Crosby Clamps tight to 25 pounds tension.

A Working Pro since 2004

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Good review Dustin. I have givin a lot of thought to getting one. I think I will place it a little higher on my list now. Thanks.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Do any of the models of socket impacts let you set the pounds of tension or is that still the manual way. I need some Crosby Clamps tight to 25 pounds tension.

In/Lb or Ft/Lb? You might be able to use torque sticks with any impact to propperly tighten the crosby’s.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for the answer @Dustincoc you seem to know about a lot of stuff. I did a search and found what your were talking about. Yes they would work on the socket impact. I’m thinking of trying something like this out. Kewl!

For anyone else thats curious

Torque Sticks
    “Torque sticks are used with an impact wrench and are flexible. This limits the amount of torque that can be applied and prevents overtightening because they will bend once a certain torque has been reached. Their appeal lies in the fact that they are much faster than other means of applying and measuring torque, and they are also easy to use”.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/facts_8001366_torque-sticks-accurate.html

A Working Pro since 2004

Thanks for typing out this review @dustincoc! Have you found any other 18v impact driver that does a good job reducing its power to be able to handle small fasteners with more speed?

John S

Dustin, nice review. Like how you used it in a variety of situations as well as stating pro’s and con’s. And the fact that it is your opinion, no other input

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for typing out this review @utopia78! Have you found any other 18v impact driver that does a good job reducing its power to be able to handle small fasteners with more speed?

@supimeister Think you may an oopsies on the person you were tagging

A Working Pro since 2004

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Thanks for typing out this review @utopia78! Have you found any other 18v impact driver that does a good job reducing its power to be able to handle small fasteners with more speed?

@Supimeister

I have a three speed Makita that does just that. It reduces speed and torque for less demanding fasteners. I find that I use it on the middle setting most of the time as the highest seting is so fast I tend to overdrive mid sized screws. Anything over 2 1/2 inches and I’ll use the fastest setting.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=XDT01Z

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Thanks for taking the time to publish the review Dustin. It was a nice job. Good insight on the tool with how it works at various tasks. I have one also courtesy of BTP. I like how if fits in my hand and its light weight. Also good to learn about torque sticks.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@Dustincoc fantastic review. I really like mine for lugnuts. Keep it by the lift. Have yet to use it on any suspension stuff but I’m sure it could handle all but the toughest of rusted fasteners.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I have one and the 18 v brushless drill also.

The battery life is impressive, but they do like the 4 amp batteries best.

Nice weight to it and the LEDs are a major plus.

For smaller fastners I grab the drill and dial back the clutch.

I am also impressed with the 12V impact and drill.

People keep using them on site and comment on them all the time.

I would recommend them highly. The L-Boxx is really nice also.

So I’m going to get some 1/2″!impact sockets for this. I was looking at Tekton or Dewalt but ice never used the impact sockets before and own a set of Yeltons I use for lawn equipment maintenance. I only will use these for light duty work, namely some decking and yard structures at my house. Anybody have any luck with other sockets or any other manufacturers I can look at? Thanks

For what you propose, I would look at Craftsman also. I have not had a problem with their sockets.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thank you for your insight on the Impact. It is a great tool and I use mine all of the time. One of the hardest thigns for me to learn was trigger control. Once I got that down with the variable speed, it adds so much more flexability to the tool.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Somehow I missed this review , great job !

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So I’m going to get some 1/2″!impact sockets for this. I was looking at Tekton or Dewalt but ice never used the impact sockets before and own a set of Yeltons I use for lawn equipment maintenance. I only will use these for light duty work, namely some decking and yard structures at my house. Anybody have any luck with other sockets or any other manufacturers I can look at? Thanks

Kobalts aren’t bad and they are made by Snap-On. They run $55 for the 1/2″ impact SAE Deep and $59 for the 1/2″ impact Metric Deep sets. That’s about as cheap as you will find with decent fit quality. Plus Kobalt has Sockets for life, register them and if you ever lose it they replace it shipping not included. Not to mention a lifetime warranty.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.659 seconds