dcsimg

Review; Bosch CSM180 Metal Cutting Circular Saw

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I do a lot of metal work and after years of using what I’ll refer to now as the old fashion methods of cutting by using an abrasive chop saw, recip saw, jigsaw, hack saw and a torch/plasma cutter. Although these methods still have their specific uses, I decided to give one of these new fashioned metal cutting circular saws a try. Then when I came across this cordless one I thought that’s even better, Any cordless tool is a great idea but only if it performs like a corded one.

When I first took it out of the box I was surprised at how small it is, It looks and feels like a little toy. Since this is my first time using a dry metal cutting circ saw I guess I really didn’t know what to expect but was a bit skeptical already, So I put on the blade it came with and slid in the nearest battery which happened to be a little 2.0 for a test run. I viced up a short length of 1″ angle 1/4″ wall mild steel and made my first cut, I hardly felt any resistance and couldn’t believe it actually went through it so quickly. Nothing like what ya feel with an abrasive wheel.

Next was a 1″x 1/2″ mild steel, A 1-3/8″ pipe with 3/16″ wall and a 2″ square tubing with 1/4″ wall used for hitch material. All went surprisingly smooth with only the drop-off (right side) having a tiny burr just at the very end of the cut, I’m sure that’s due to it falling off. The left side was as clean as could be, It didn’t quite reach all the way through the 2″ square tubing even though it’s rated 2″ at 90*. Maybe I didn’t have it square on the little piece I was cutting, But I think I did..

The last test was with Shiny Aluminum Diamond Plate (Tread plate or Tread Bright to some of yous), I use a lot of this material ranging from .063″ to 3/16″ and regular aluminum plate up to 1/4″ thick. This test was done with .125″, I’ve always used a jigsaw to cut this stuff in the past when I don’t have access to a shear. The cut was clean, Stayed cool and sooo easy. The blade/chip guard covers completely to the footplate with a clear viewing area at the front, And there is a really nice built-in LED light up front too. I did get hit with a few chips while cutting the big 2″ square tubing but most of it went down on the floor, Of course eye protection is a must with any saw.

Overall;
    I like this saw and the idea of a metal cutting circular saw, It’s so much better then an abrasive cut-off wheel or the other methods. The added features on this one are nice too, Has a built-in hanger and on board hex wrench to change the blade. Also has soft start and quick stop. The steel footplate will also receive an edge guide…. It’s light, easy to handle and accurate.

This ‘little toy’ proved itself to me that it’s a no-nonsense metal eatin’ get the job done saw, The only thing I don’t like about it is the blade positioned on the right side. But I don’t like that with any circular saw, Makes it feel left handed to me. But I’ll learn to live with that.

@Dabbs, wow, great review, judging by the pictures looks like it does really good,
    I wasn’t really looking for this type of saw, but after reading your input and highly regarded opinion, it’s definitely going on my wish list.

After the 2.0 ah battery, did you have to swap out to the 4.0 or did it get through all your tests with the 2.0 ah

The other thing I like is seems like all the cut pieces stay pretty cool to the touch, and not really burred.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@dabbs The saw looks like an updated version of the CCS180 cordless saw for wood – do you know if the housing is any different or is it just a metal cutting blade?

Thanks for the review!

Charlie

Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dabbs, wow, great review, judging by the pictures looks like it does really good,
    I wasn’t really looking for this type of saw, but after reading your input and highly regarded opinion, it’s definitely going on my wish list.

After the 2.0 ah battery, did you have to swap out to the 4.0 or did it get through all your tests with the 2.0 ah

The other thing I like is seems like all the cut pieces stay pretty cool to the touch, and not really burred.

Thanks Brian, The 2.0 did make it through all the cuts but was down to one bar. It had three bars when I started but it’s been on a drill for a couple months without use, Don’t know if that means anything with it’s charge or not.

Yeah the material can be handled immediately, I like that too. And no need to worry about filing off sharp burrs, I’m sold on this method of cutting metal when I can……

When welding angle together I usually notch out the ends for flush connections and maximum mating surfaces for more weld, Can’t do that with a circ saw so the recip, jiggy and hack saws still have their places

Anonymous
    Inactive

The saw looks like an updated version of the CCS180 cordless saw for wood – do you know if the housing is any different or is it just a metal cutting blade?

Thanks for the review!

No no it’s entirely different, Even the motor housing is smaller. And the blade is on the opposite side, I even sat this saw into the custom fit inlay I have for the CCS180 and it’s not even close.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@dabbs what about the material make up of the saw? Is it all metal housing? All the metal cut off saws I’ve used are completely metal to deal with the hot embers flying everywhere, but I was curious if this saw isn’t made like that since nothing is all that hot. And I’m just assuming it’s not running on a standard wood blade.

Charlie

Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dabbs what about the material make up of the saw? Is it all metal housing? All the metal cut off saws I’ve used are completely metal to deal with the hot embers flying everywhere, but I was curious if this saw isn’t made like that since nothing is all that hot. And I’m just assuming it’s not running on a standard wood blade.

The makeup is the same plastic material, no metal housing or anything. Seems like the CCS180 has a cast aluminum footplate as to where this one is stamped steel, I’m sure the blade is different too. They do look kind of alike with the carbide tips but I think they are ground differently plus this one is a real thin kerf

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks for the review Dabbs. Sounds like a great little saw. Like you I do wish the blade was on the left side of the saw. But that’s not a deal breaker.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

@dabbs so you cant do any angle cut with this only square cuts ? I like this saw i didnt buy it yet but its on my list since i need to cut metal time to time and will be easy to cut even wire mesh.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Excellent review, thanks.

I was looking at this saw a while back when I was getting ready to dive into the commercial construction world and dealing with metal studs on a regular basis.

I don’t have a great deal of use for one atm, but if I find myself needing one I’m glad to hear it performs.

Thanks @dabbs for taking your time to post a review for us . Seems like a great addition for any shop with small metal projects .

Always willing to learn .

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

very nice review dabbs. thanks for taking the time and adding a bunch of pictures.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Very nice review, I was surprised you cut through ½” steel. How was the shroud? Could you feel any hot bits getting by it?

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Very nice review, I was surprised you cut through ½” steel. How was the shroud? Could you feel any hot bits getting by it?

If I recall from a while back I remember hearing people speak highly of the shroud.

Thanks for the great review Dabbs. Like Boschmanbrian, your review told me a lot I didn’t know about this saw and it is going on my wish list too. I didn’t realize it could do so much.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If I recall from a while back I remember hearing people speak highly of the shroud.

I have one of these saws of a different color and I love the way it works.
    Is this the new Bosch metal cutting saw brushless?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Overall;
    I like this saw and the idea of a metal cutting circular saw, It’s so much better then an abrasive cut-off wheel or the other methods. The added features on this one are nice too, Has a built-in hanger and on board hex wrench to change the blade. Also has soft start and quick stop. The steel footplate will also receive an edge guide…. It’s light, easy to handle and accurate.

Boyd Very nice review. Looks like if anyone is in the market for a metal cutting circular saw the Bosch CSM180 should be on their list.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Overall;

Great review, Dabbs.
    I too use all the other methods to cut metal as that is what I primarily work with.
    This looks like it would be a great addition to anybody arsenal who cuts their fair share of metal.
    ThanX for taking the time to post up the review.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I like how clean it cuts, looks like a winner to me.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Great review. I would like to see how this stacks up to a couple other brands. I have never seen any comparisons

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.466 seconds