dcsimg

REVIEW: BOSCH 12" Dual-Bevel Slide Miter Saw with Upfront Controls; Model 5312

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Product Page:
    http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=5312

Thanks to @Aaron, Bosch, and BTP for this great saw!

Overview
    This review is for the Bosch 12” Dual-Bevel Slide Miter Saw with upfront controls. This saw features controls located on the front of the saw, a sliding mechanism, side material supports, large fence, and 15Amp 3800 RPM motor.

Features
    When I received this saw it was in quite a large box and was not really light weight. Others have commented on BTP in general about quality being heavy and I think that rings true for this saw from Bosch. The saw was carefully protected in large Styrofoam packing material and was really needed because this thing got really banged up in shipping; I can’t complain though, this box was huge and heavy. Bosch packed it well and it came without a scratch on it. Along with the saw came a few other items: a wrench, one piece for the cord wrap, adjustable material support arm, dust bag and attachment port, and the manual. The saw came pretty much assembled and only required a few accessories to be attached before use.

Speaking of accessories, the support arm attachment was the typical type where you screw and unscrew the thing to move it around and tighten, etc. There is another model of this saw, the 5412 I think; it comes with a quick release side arm support bar instead. That particular model also has a handle that adjusts positions but this model, the 5312 has a standard handle which sits in one position; I’m referring to the handle which activates the motor, not the carrying handles. There are however, two handles to carry the unit, one in the front and one in the rear to make it easier to move this monster around. The handle that you use to start the motor and blade have safety controls on the left and right side of the handle so you can easily use it left or right handed and in a horizontal format.

Looking over the saw, I noticed a few key features that I want to discuss here. The saw blade that came with the saw was a standard 60 tooth blade. It has a sliding mechanism which allows you to cut materials up to 12” wide. A dust bag and dust port adapter were included and the bag really looked as basic as you could get; it didn’t even say Bosch on it or anything. I didn’t expect much from that bag. One of the main features of this saw are the up front controls. What are those? you say… well, they’re great! So the controls on the front of the saw are on the arm in front of the blade. They allow you to control both the miter adjustments and the bevel adjustments. This means you don’t have to reach around back of the saw to adjust the bevel. It’s actually very quick to make adjustments with these controls. Regarding the miter adjustments, there are detents on the cast iron base for common measurements like the 0 degree position, 31.6, 22.5, and 45 of course. Otherwise, you press the lever on the same handle to move it around to make fine adjustments between those common ones. The layout of these numbers on the base are large, clear, and easy to read. They really do look nice. You can adjust the miter position up to 50degrees to the left and up to 60 degrees to the right. With these same controls, you can adjust the bevel with the turn of a lever and knob to move to the left or right bevel with another set of large, clear, and easy to read numbers on the back of the saw; common measurements included again: 0 degrees, 22.5, 31.6, and 45. Another thing to note are the large, sliding, and removeable fences. They looked to be about 4” tall and about 6-8” wide. When removed, there is still a one inch fence on both sides. Another cool thing about this saw are the side material supports on the base of the saw. On each side of the saw, material supports can be pulled out which give you about 8” more working space on each side of the saw for long materials. When fully extended they don’t feel cheap and flimsy like they could flex or break off easily, they feel pretty sturdy. On the rear of the saw you’ll find a cord wrap next to the sliding arms for wrapping the power cord around when transporting. One thing I noticed was the cast iron base of this saw. It is somewhat on the heavier side, but this saw extends in a few directions pretty far and the saw sits on its own very stable; due mostly in part to the cast iron base and balance of the other components.

Cutting
    I setup the saw to cut a few test pieces of wood utilizing the bevel and miter controls to see how well they worked. Everything worked very smooth and was easy to use. The sliding mechanism was smooth and could be locked in position to use it in a “chop saw” fashion without sliding. Changing the miter angle and bevel adjustments were very simple and smooth as well. With the 60tooth out of the box saw blade, the cuts left the wood pretty smooth. Once I made the first cut I noticed something. With the dust bag attached, this saw threw dust everywhere. There was dust covering every square inch of the saw from the handle to the base, and inside the bag of course. I thought maybe a vac attachment might help so I tried that. I think it cut down a little, but not too much. This saw loves to throw saw dust everywhere. Maybe that’s typical of miter saws, but I thought it to be a bit excessive.

Feedback
    Overall, I really like this saw. I didn’t think the noise level was too bad and the sound of the motor was reasonable and the electric brake kicked in when finished. Up front controls make this saw super easy to use and make fine adjustments. I really like that this saw has side material supports and that they seem very stable. I am very pleased with this saw and would recommend it to anyone! Thanks for reading everyone!

Attachments:
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Trying to attach more pictures…

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Great review Nick, I am sure I’ll eventually end up with a Bosch slider just for the up front controls. Those seconds add up quick and I’d love to stop reaching around behind for the bevel. Thanks for writing up a review.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

More Pictures…

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Last set of pictures. Enjoy!

Great review. Does the motor have soft-start? Maybe I missed it. I played around with one in the store and I do like the up-front controls.

Orange County, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh man yer killing me Nick, That really does look like the saw for me. Great review and Thanks for the pics

Dust collection aside, that sounds like a beast of a miter saw! The upfront controls do seem like a pretty ingenious feature that would be hard to be without once you got used to them

Glad to hear the styrofoam protected the saw in shipment – sounds like it got thrown around a bit, but I would bet it is not the UPS guy’s favorite one to move around haha 🙂

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thanx @NYX, I love the write up. I do love that saw, but I have to say, I really want a Axial Glide. I’ll keep beating up the HF one I got for now.

Great review! Once you have up front controls you will wonder why it didn’t get thought of earlier. I have heard of guys adding a rubber dust boot behind the blade to help with dust collection.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I think Jason was talking about something like that with his Axial Glide? A Kapex boot perhaps?

I think Jason was talking about something like that with his Axial Glide? A Kapex boot perhaps?

Yeah I think your right. That sounds familiar. That boot is a snap on piece.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Great review. Does the motor have soft-start? Maybe I missed it. I played around with one in the store and I do like the up-front controls.

I didnt notice or read anything about it – i’ll look into this.

Glad to hear the styrofoam protected the saw in shipment – sounds like it got thrown around a bit, but I would bet it is not the UPS guy’s favorite one to move around haha 🙂

If i was home when it was delivered i would certainly have offered a hand.

I have heard of guys adding a rubber dust boot behind the blade to help with dust collection.

I’m going to look this up because i am curious what this entails. thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That sounds likeca great saw. I was looking forward to reading your review. Great review anb good luck with the saw.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Great review Nyx. All the pics are a big plus. Sounds like a really nice saw.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Here’s Jason’s review of the axial glide http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/bosch-12-dual-bevel-axial-glide-miter-saw-with-upfront-controls-gcm12sd-review/

Too bad the AG was not on the list when i was ready to redeem, but its been a while and we’ve been asking for it for a while with no success so i figured its not coming anytime soon. Looks like a great saw, and most of the key features on this AG saw is also on the 5312 which i will enjoy!

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’m going to look this up because i am curious what this entails. thanks

Unconfirmed rumors say the Festool Kapex boot (part can be bought separately) will fit in the axial glide,might be worth a shot. There’s also a new elastic type boot out there – I don’t remember who makes it, but it moves with the slide action so I bet it works decent if you can find one.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Sounds like your enjoying the saw, other than the mess.

As I approach my goal, I am becoming nervous to thin my herd. Maybe I’ll just have to change my goal to this, just so I don’t have to send an piggies to slaughter. I really could use one of these saws.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Good thorough review Nyx. Thanks. I owned a 10″ Bosch SCMS and it threw dust too. I wish Bosch would address that. The Kapex does a much better job on the dust. Are there any other blades you are considering? I found that Forrest makes some great blades.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.374 seconds