dcsimg

Review: Blaklader US Pro Softshell Jacket

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

A new item to the Blaklader family of products is the Softshell jacket. Light yet tough, stylish yet functional, this jacket was impressive from the moment I put it on. You’ll want to take a look at this jacket, it does not disappoint.
    Let’s run down the list of features. The softshell jacket resembles that of a NorthFace or Columbia fleece jacket. 100% polyester, the inside is a soft layer with two other layers on top. It’s breathable and flexible\stretches. The outside layer is waterproof and windproof. This layer was the most interesting to me and I wanted to put it to test which I will touch on later. It has a built in hood that is not detachable and includes drawstrings so you can tighten up the grip of the hood. The cuffs of each arm include Velcro straps so you can tighten up the sleeves if you’d like. There are three pockets; all of which have zippers, one on each side in the front and one at chest height for a phone or something small. The chest pocket I noticed was a soft inside material – fleece lined and the side pockets were a mesh type fabric. One thing I will say is that for me, being right handed, I prefer the chest pocket to be on the left side of the jacket but that is just my personal preference. The pocket on this jacket is on the right side which can be awkward to put things into but you get used to it. Regarding the size, I think this jacket runs small, I recommend you go at least one size larger. For example, if you are normally a large go with the XL, if you are a small, go with the medium. The sleeves seem extra-long in general and I feel that is a good thing – I don’t like short sleeves on my jackets and when you reach for something you don’t feel like the sleeves are riding up immediately. In addition to that sizing feature, the rear of the jacket runs longer or is extended in other words, so when you’re bending over the jacket offers you a little more coverage and you don’t immediately feel a draft or that you are exposing yourself. I will say that as soon as I put this jacket on it fit like a glove and the size was perfect, it was very comfortable.
    More on that outside layer. So… this jacket IS water proof and wind proof – right? I found myself in the middle of a heavy rain storm standing outside with the jacket on and it repelled every droplet of rain. The thing to note here is that some jackets resist water instead of claiming to be water “proof”. This jacket respells the water and does not soak into the fabric – which means two important things – Simply put, you don’t get wet and your jacket doesn’t get wet. You stay dry, and your jacket doesn’t absorb the moisture and become a soaked and heavy mess. Think of a dry hooded sweat shirt vs. a soaked sweatshirt out of the washer – its heavy! The jacket stays dry on the inside and is as light as if it were dry on the outside as well, if that makes sense. One other thing, the outside layer is easy to clean, just wipe with a damp cloth to clean it up and any marks or messes come right off – at least in my experience they did. I did not try to wash the jacket yet although the instructions state to “machine wash with like colors”.
    How about that windproof thing? Well, have you ever been standing outside when it’s really windy and you can just feel the air coming right through your clothes or jacket? – Not with this one. In all the times I was outside while it was really windy – I did not feel the wind coming through the jacket at all. Of course you might feel some air coming down through the neck area or maybe up through the bottom but the bottom has draw strings as well and you can tighten that up a little.
    Overall I have to say that this jacket was impressive. In cold weather it did pretty well for a light jacket that you might wear when it’s not cold enough for your heavy winter jacket – but you could certainly layer under this one. In warm weather you don’t sweat like you would with a normal softshell fleece jacket from a competitor; it breathes quite well. This is mainly going to be for your spring\fall weather but that will vary per region. One thing I forgot to mention is that the print on the front and side of the jacket is reflective so you can be easily spotted if that is of concern to you in certain situations. This jacket has become my go to jacket right now above all other jackets I have. I am very pleased with it and have been recommending it to those around me. It comes in two color schemes; Black with silver print\zippers(#9992) or Grey with Red print\zippers(#9756). This jacket sells for around $109 USD or could be had through the BeThePro rewards program at 60,000 points. It’s worth every penny or point that is! As always, thanks again to BeThePro and Blaklader!

URL: https://www.blaklader.com/en/product/49392517-us-pro-softshell-jacket#16646

Pictures to follow…

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Thanks for the review jon, I have had that jacket on my list and may have to pull the trigger.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Some pictures of the Black & Grey Jacket, and some pictures while wet.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX for the review Nick. We have a slightly different on up here in the Canadian market.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m Jon…he’s Nick!

Welcome back @Nyx! Thanks for the great review….I’ll definitely be adding this jacket to my wish list!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@Nyx welcome back, great review, I would definitely get one of these jackets, but unfortunately I will have to order it through some other source,

Thanks for the very detailed review.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

No problem guys, if you all have any questions about the jacket feel free to reach out.

Thanks again @blaklader

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Thanks much for that review – especially the sizing information.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

monman1
    Pro

Thanks nyx for the great review!

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

Doobie

Thanks for the review Nick. Shame we can’t get that one here in Canada.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice review, I might need to get one for that cold day we get.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Good review Nyx. You said the jacket runs small. Is it cut like the Bosch jacket? Narrow shoulders?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thanks for the review, it looks great, i wish it was available in Canada.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow Nyx nice find on the jacket. Really looks nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Good review Nyx. You said the jacket runs small. Is it cut like the Bosch jacket? Narrow shoulders?

I found that too. Had to go one size up when I went with mine and roll the sleeve cuffs inside which fortunately they stay put.

I found that too. Had to go one size up when I went with mine and roll the sleeve cuffs inside which fortunately they stay put.

Funny, I found the jacket was actually pretty close for sizing,
    But I know Kyle was also mentioning that the fleece was on the smaller side, good to know.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Nice review, sounds like its just as good as the heavier blaklader jacket I have.

Doobie

Funny, I found the jacket was actually pretty close for sizing,
    But I know Kyle was also mentioning that the fleece was on the smaller side, good to know.

It wasn’t just the shoulders that were a tad tight. Under the armpits didn’t fit quite the way they should also. Arm and body length were fine. I must note though, I would be characterized as someone who has broad shoulders.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nyx nice to you back and posting again.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Awesome review, thanks. this is the jacket that I really wanted to get.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.330 seconds