dcsimg

Retrofitting original tool boxes as inserts into stackable boxes?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Has anyone tried taking a tool’s existing hard case, taking just the bottom then trimming it to fit snug into a stackable box like L-Boxx or TSTAK or PACKOUT, pretty much using it as an insert?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No, but if I had a place to work I’d build something like this to go inside.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That’s a lot of work!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I was thinking of something similar the other day with the new Bosch rotary hammer I purchased. Unfortunately it die not come with a L-Boxx case as bosch has discontinued the tools in cases. I was trying to think of a way to mount clips to the top and bottom of the case so I could incorporate it into a L-Boxx stack. I think I may try something with cam locks to make it clip to the top of another boxx.

I have made clips the allow a box to clip to a shelf or wall but the bottom of the box attachment is what would be difficult. The way the case is made, it would not be much good to cut up and insert int an L-Boxx.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Yes I was looking at the cases I have and also came to the conclusion that would not be a good fit, and it will look too “red neck” LOL.

So here is another option. I kind of want to have a case where I can fit a compact driver and have fixed parts containers that won’t spill into each other when I carry it like a suit case.

Here is the 9 compartment parts organizer.

These containers fits into a plastic tray (which I removed from the case) that looks like this.

The back side of the tray look like this.

I would like to cut this tray up so that the red area is removed. It has just enough room to fit my impact and a spare battery.

How would you cut the piece out? The plastic is about 1/8″-1/16″ thick.

A Dremel would do it but it will most likely melt it into an ugly messy edge. Too thick for scissors.

Doobie
    Pro

I would think an OMT would work to cut that.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I would think an OMT would work to cut that.

Control may be an issue with an OMT.

Most likely an mechanical “sawing” will do a combination of sawing, chewing and melting.

I might try a heat knife first and see what happens.

Doobie
    Pro

Do you have a band saw or a scroll saw? That might work also.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

How would you cut the piece out? The plastic is about 1/8″-1/16″ thick.

I’d use a coping saw, you control the rate of cut and the vibration.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s a lot of work!

If you look on you tube you’ll see a lot of different ones,, and you can customize for your needs. Oh and it looks very anti-RedNeck lol.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Do you have a band saw or a scroll saw? That might work also.

I have a band saw but not a stationary one. I have an idea I will try this weekend.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That’s a lot of work!

If you look on you tube you’ll see a lot of different ones,, and you can customize for your needs. Oh and it looks very anti-RedNeck lol.

I might do that but may be with a round bucket. These stackable boxes don’t really solve the vertical tool storage problem. Well not entirely anyways.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Believe it or not, I end up using a chop saw and cut straight lines. Took less than a minute and I had to sand down the edges a little.

The left side fitted back into the box so I am able to keep more than half of the organizer bins.

and on the right side still room for the drill and two 18V batteries.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Believe it or not, I end up using a chop saw and cut straight lines. Took less than a minute and I had to sand down the edges a little.

The left side fitted back into the box so I am able to keep more than half of the organizer bins.

and on the right side still room for the drill and two 18V batteries.

That looks like it turned out okay, will make for a nice set up.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That looks like it turned out okay, will make for a nice set up

I hope so. Initially I had them arranged differently. I had all the bits and fasteners in one box, my drill and impact in a second box, chargers and batteries in a third box. That became tiresome very quickly having to carry all boxes in and out just because I need something in each.

Now I have a hammer drill box, an impact driver box, an OMT box, and in each box are the respective accessories, bits, fasteners for that tool plus two batteries. That makes it easier, but I have to retrofit each box differently.

Kamster
    Pro

How hard was it to pop the bottom section out? Did you just pry it out with a screwdriver?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

How hard was it to pop the bottom section out? Did you just pry it out with a screwdriver?

Very easy, there are four very small “stops” in the front, a gentle pry with a flat head in two spots and a little wiggle it comes off.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.375 seconds