dcsimg

Retrofiting T 12 Bulbs with LED tubes

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

This is an older thread, but I ordered some LED tubes to replace my older fluorescent fixtures in the shop from Amazon.ca, and I went with re-wire options (taking out the ballast & starter) in order to maximize the efficiency etc. I am wondering what others’ experiences are.

WYZM UL DLC Listed 4-Pack of 20 Watt T8 T12 4ft 48″ LED Tube Light, 45 Watt Fluorescent Replacement,Dual-End Powered, Works without ballast,110v~240V Voltage,4500k Sunlight White,Frost Cover,No UV NO IR (4500k sunlight white)

Will

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This is an older thread, but I ordered some LED tubes to replace my older fluorescent fixtures in the shop from Amazon.ca, and I went with re-wire options (taking out the ballast & starter) in order to maximize the efficiency etc. I am wondering what others’ experiences are.

I did not have any luck rewiring my fixtures. Finally gave up and figured it was just easier and cheaper (figuring my time for the rewire) to just get new LED fixtures. The new LED fixtures I was getting were from Sams at $39 each. A 2 pack replacement bulb set was like $30-35.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Works without ballast,110v~240V Voltage,4500k Sunlight White,Frost Cover,No UV NO IR (4500k sunlight white)

For my liking 4500K would not be bright enough for the shop, I have 6500K T8’s right now and would not replace them with anything of lesser brightness.

I did not have any luck rewiring my fixtures. Finally gave up and figured it was just easier and cheaper (figuring my time for the rewire) to just get new LED fixtures. The new LED fixtures I was getting were from Sams at $39 each. A 2 pack replacement bulb set was like $30-35.

I wish LED pricing would drop in Canada, a fixture at Costco is $50 or replacement bulbs are $25. The bulbs are suppose to be a direct swap, no mention on the package of removing the ballast.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I wish LED pricing would drop in Canada, a fixture at Costco is $50 or replacement bulbs are $25. The bulbs are suppose to be a direct swap, no mention on the package of removing the ballast.

Not sure about prices for online orders to Canada, but my experience has been that there are online retailers like 1000bulbs that have a wide variety of LED tube bulbs in a range of prices. I was pricing out a job for someone and found T8 direct replacement (no re-wire required) for $10 USD each.

I wish I had found this thread when I first joined. There is really not enough information contained in this thread in its current state to answer even the original question.

For example, it was asked about a T12 to T8 conversion. The T designation simply means it is a TUBE shaped bulb. Type T bulbs come in a variety of sizes and sockets. Most aquarium lights require a T bulb. Some use an E27 (standard) socket, some an E17 (intermediate), and others an E12 (candelabra). The number beside the T designates the diameter of the bulb as measured in 1/8th inch increments. Thus a T12 bulb is 1-1/2 inches in diameter and a T8 is 1 inch in diameter. A T5 would be only 5/8 inch diameter.

With that out of the way, fluorescent bulbs are designated by a combination of letter/number combos. For example, F96T12 (F75T12) are 96 inch bulbs that are 1-1/2 inch diameter. F40T12 (F34T12) are 48 inch bulbs with 1-1/2 inch diameter. The ends are not the same on the 48 inch bulbs as the ones on the 96 inch. However, the ends of a F32T8 and F40T12 are. If converting from a bi-pin bulb (F40T12, F34T12) to a LED tube bulb, one would not typically need to replace the socket ends (tombstones) unless the existing tombstones were shunted and the bulb requires non-shunted.

There are multiple direct replacement and direct wire options.

Please check out the following article which really explains things better than I can:

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/print/volume-11/issue-6/features/led-tubes/how-do-plug-and-play-t8s-stack-up-against-ballast-bypass-led-lamps.html

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

I successfully rewired the 2 fixtures I had for my test, and I am very pleased with the results so far.

Will

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.367 seconds