dcsimg

Retrofiting T 12 Bulbs with LED tubes

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Does the T8’s work as well as the T12’s? Maybe, I can get by with the T8 bulbs which are available locally.

The T8 gave good lighting. The lighting depends on the fluorescent tube ratings, not the pin size. T12 is just a wider pin set than T8. I prefer to get the 32 watt 2950 lumens cool white fluorescent tubes. They give good clean lighting to the kitchens here.

But I still prefer to swap out the 4′ 2-bulb fixtures for nice round LED fixtures. They look great in our kitchens.

Pat

Does the T8’s work as well as the T12’s? Maybe, I can get by with the T8 bulbs which are available locally.

The T8 gave good lighting. The lighting depends on the fluorescent tube ratings, not the pin size. T12 is just a wider pin set than T8. I prefer to get the 32 watt 2950 lumens cool white fluorescent tubes. They give good clean lighting to the kitchens here.

But I still prefer to swap out the 4′ 2-bulb fixtures for nice round LED fixtures. They look great in our kitchens.

Thanks Pat. I would have to change the tombstones anyway so wouldn’t be a problem in the fixture. I’ll check out the local HD and Lowes to see what they have and how much the prices are.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

You may have to change the ballast as well as the tombstones when going from t-8 to t-12

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

You may have to change the ballast as well as the tombstones when going from t-8 to t-12

Is there a way to determine this aside from just trying t-8 bulbs? I’ve had success just swapping the bulbs, but I have no idea if they will last as long as they should.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Is there a way to determine this aside from just trying t-8 bulbs? I’ve had success just swapping the bulbs, but I have no idea if they will last as long as they should.

Sometimes you can look at the ballast and it will say what it will work with. Other is googling the ballast or if you post a picture of it I can send it to my sales rep and he can get me the info. Lol that usually what I do is have him do the leg work for me.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Typically you have to change out the ballast if you’re going from T12 to T8.

I’ve changed out ballasts numerous times here. But, my issue is I don’t like using old fixtures. In my opinion, if the fixture is worth it, go ahead and retrofit it. But, my experience is that fluorescent fixtures used on the interior are typically cheap, cheap, cheap and not worth retrofitting. Besides, LED will last a lot longer and give better lighting.

Pat

I thought the LED conversion gets rid of the ballasts and is wired directly to the tombstone?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have found some 2 bulb 4ft LED lights at HD $50 each which is practically the price for 2 bulbs. So I will be replacing my shop lights little by little.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have found some 2 bulb 4ft LED lights at HD $50 each which is practically the price for 2 bulbs. So I will be replacing my shop lights little by little.

I have seen those lights at HD. Thought the same thing Bill. I think that makes the most sense.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I thought the LED conversion gets rid of the ballasts and is wired directly to the tombstone?

In acT12 conversion, you remove the ballast and wire directly. They have T8 replacements where you just swap out the bulbs and continue to use the ballast.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

In both the types that I have done. You do remove the ballast. The difference though is in some types you have to wire in a driver for the LED in others the driver is built in to the retro fit bulb so you wire directly to the tombstones.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

This is great information for when my bulbs go out. Thanks everyone that hs provided information.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We are meeting with a retro fit coordinator from the utilities on Monday. We should be able to find out a lot more after that.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sometimes you can look at the ballast and it will say what it will work with. Other is googling the ballast or if you post a picture of it I can send it to my sales rep and he can get me the info. Lol that usually what I do is have him do the leg work for me.

I guess I’ve been lucky then. All of my fixtures had T-12 bulbs originally, but I’ve been replacing them with T-8 bulbs without issue. I’ve got some U-bend bulbs to replace, but I’ll check the ballasts on those before buying T-8s as those are about $10 per bulb.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have seen those lights at HD. Thought the same thing Bill. I think that makes the most sense.

I bought one to check out and plugged in and it gave out comparable light to the 40W shop lights. The LED light is whiter if that makes any sense.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

The LED light is whiter if that makes any sense.

Makes total sense. LED’s have color ratings too, you can get them white, yellow etc. I have different color ratings in my house depending on where I put the light bulbs. As bulbs blow, I have been replacing them with LED’s.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

LEDs do have color ratings? I didn’t know that. I have been looking for LEDs that look more like the old incandescent bulbs. The white light seems too harsh for in the house.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Yup, they aren’t that hard to find. The one over our small table is more yellowish, and the one over our sink is white. I like the white in area’s where there are things to do, and yellow where it is more relaxed.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Yes LED has a color K rating also. the lower color K is more yellowish 2700 the higher you go the whiter it gets.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yes LED has a color K rating also. the lower color K is more yellowish 2700 the higher you go the whiter it gets.

Tony that helps, Thank you

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.604 seconds