dcsimg

Retrofiting T 12 Bulbs with LED tubes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

For the remodel we are working on we are looking at retrofitting the old T12 fluorescent fixtures with LED tubes. It seems fairly simple, bypass the ballast, swap out the sockets and install the new tubes. Do any of you sparky’s out there have experience with this?

Great topic. I am quite interested in the answer too.

That’s a good question for @Sparky603 and @TonyG

Always willing to learn .

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I do and from my experience there are a few different options. There are bulbs that by pass the ballast and you wire up a driver and there are others that self driven

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I haven’t done LED’s but I did bunch of T8 to T12. It is really simple. I just pulled everything out and put in the new ballast and new sockets (turned out faster than reusing the old ones). After awhile I could do one in 15 minutes. I could have done it faster with an assistant to hand me things. I had to make 4 round trips on the ladder per fixture.

I would remove the ballast instead of just bypassing So somebody down the road doesn’t get comfused.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

This is one of the types that I have experience with that they have my local supply house. With this set up you by pass the ballast, or can completely remove it and wire in a driver and connect strips to the troffer.

http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/lightcommunity/trends/led/evokit/evokit.wpd

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Thanks for the information guys! That kit is real clean looking. We are leaning towards the bulb replacement method. I will let you know what we decide.

@TongG, thanks for the link on the Phillips replacement kit. I have fluorescent tubes in my garage shop. 4 footers in pairs. Would this give me as much or hopefully more light than they provide?

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I would have to look at the lumen output but shooting from the hip yes. Usually on retro fit kits LED’s are as bright or in some cases brighter depending on the watts you are using now. another thing to consider is the color or k rating of the lamps you are using now vs the LED

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Another option that I was thinking about today if you want to remove the ballast and hard wire it to change the tombstones out to T8 there are a lot more options for self driven retro fit t8’s

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thank you for info TonyG. Much appreciated.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I’ve seen some videos on the LED retrofits. Looks relatively simple and I like the fact there are no ballasts anymore. Waiting til the prices go down though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So what is the cost to retrofit to LED? I’ve got numerous double 4 footers in my shop, Not sure what they are exactly as far as T8-T12 or watts?? But they have the single pin terminal and the bulbs are like $10-12ish each, As of yesterday one is out so it’s time to replace it

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

depending on the bulb, it seems to run between 15$ per bulb up to 25 per bulb. the LED will use 1/2 of the electricity or less.

T – 12’s seem to need to bypass the ballast and replace one of the bulb holder ends and wire 120 V direct.

T – 8’s it appears are a plug and play with a direct replacement leaving the ballast in place.

If you have the older single pin terminals, you will probably need to replace the bulb holders as well, but they only appear to cost about $1.50 per end or less.

I am meeting with the energy auditor Monday to go over the replacements and get approval for the rebates.

Bummer I did a quick check of my local HD and they don’t have T-12’s I need to research this more before I jump in. I hope I can get some soon. My family likes to leave lights on all the time when they are not in the room. I should put on a proximity sensor switch so the light goes off when no one is occupying the room.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

We recently had all of our kitchen T12 fixtures retrofitted with T8. But, I’m replacing all of the fixtures with LED. I found that it’s less work, lower cost and nicer look to just remove the old fixture and replace it rather than retrofit.

Pat

We recently had all of our kitchen T12 fixtures retrofitted with T8. But, I’m replacing all of the fixtures with LED. I found that it’s less work, lower cost and nicer look to just remove the old fixture and replace it rather than retrofit.

Does the T8’s work as well as the T12’s? Maybe, I can get by with the T8 bulbs which are available locally.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I haven’t done LED’s but I did bunch of T8 to T12. It is really simple. I just pulled everything out and put in the new ballast and new sockets (turned out faster than reusing the old ones). After awhile I could do one in 15 minutes. I could have done it faster with an assistant to hand me things. I had to make 4 round trips on the ladder per fixture.

I would remove the ballast instead of just bypassing So somebody down the road doesn’t get comfused.

That is what I did a year or so ago in a couple of our buildings. It was really nice having someone hand me everything. But yeah it didn’t take long at all to replace them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

T – 12’s seem to need to bypass the ballast and replace one of the bulb holder ends and wire 120 V direct.

T – 8’s it appears are a plug and play with a direct replacement leaving the ballast in place.

Good to know info. Thank you for posting Kurt.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

For a T8 to LED in a fluorescent fixture, you should only have to swap out the bulbs. I found you can do that for about 15 bucks a bulb. You can’t buy a let fixture for that.

The T12 to t8 a fixture replacement may be the easiest however.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.549 seconds