dcsimg

Repurposed/reused – recent project

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Paulc
    Pro

I have copper exterior door knobs and they turn ugly without constant upkeep. Had the bright idea of polishing them. Looked nice for a little while but they turned back to the dirty brown eventually. Maybe if I kept it up it would have been nice but I didn’t.

I wonder if there’s something you can spray on them to prevent that?

Clear coating after polishing is definitely an option! Even if they are inside, fingerprints will start to cause marking in short order due to the oils from your skin. I guess you would polish it on the spot and then not touch it again 🙂

Lacquer works just fine.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this type of thing, or even if it is welcomed at all

Oh heck yea!!! Very good thread!

I like the look with the patina

I like it with the patina all over it too.

Paulc
    Pro

Good to know, thank you!

Hard to tell in the photo, but someone had written in sharpie on the top some quick notes on which fires to not use this extinguisher on. I was able to get off with a combination of methods but you can still see the letters, it is like the sharpie protected the copper from getting a patina. Hoping these will gradually fade, I mashed my fingers over the letters to get some finger oils all over them.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have copper exterior door knobs and they turn ugly without constant upkeep. Had the bright idea of polishing them. Looked nice for a little while but they turned back to the dirty brown eventually. Maybe if I kept it up it would have been nice but I didn’t.

I’m not exactly sure what they use but I’ve seen clear coated polished copper stuff. But it does change the look of the piece.

Actually, because of this discussion, I just thought I might revisit trying to finish my copper door knobs. This time I’m thinking of going a brushed finish. Maybe some Scotch-bright pads would leave a nice finish.

You might try an aerosol hair spray over the knobs. Apparently, it works very well.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

My Uncle makes lamps out of old hand pumps. He mounts the pump to a base and then takes the push rod out and replaces it with a brass conduit for the electrical wires and to mount the light fixture on. The size of the pump determines if it is a desk lamp or floor lamp.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

My Uncle makes lamps out of old hand pumps. He mounts the pump to a base and then takes the push rod out and replaces it with a brass conduit for the electrical wires and to mount the light fixture on. The size of the pump determines if it is a desk lamp or floor lamp.

That sounds like a cool lamp. I know several people who would be into that look…pictures?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I don’t have any specific pics of the lamps but I will go through my holiday pics and see if any are in the background so you can get some idea.

seanimo
    Pro

I had an antique spindle bed in the barn and one of the boards had rotted off so I cut them shorter to fit a pallet re mortised the old cast iron ends in and made a flower bed .

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this type of thing, or even if it is welcomed at all – just let me know if not.

One thing that really seems to hold my interest is light fixtures, for some reason. I just like them. We’ve got custom over-sink lighting in the kitchen, solar LED chandelier on our back porch cover and now this guy, which will eventually be a reading light in my as of yet non-existent basement office (almost at the point of moving to the basement, but putting in a washroom down there first). I’ve got some more custom lighting in mind, whether from scratch (copper and old wood lath sconces, etc.) or restored vintage items or repurposed other items. The vintage and industrial aesthetics appeal to me.

I just finished this guy off a couple nights ago. While it may not present itself as such, it has parts and components in it from 2 flea markets, 2 online electrical suppliers, and four local businesses (from the reproduction vintage electrical cord to the seemingly very hard to find brass socket knob).

I had to refit the fixture itself with a different style new socket, which also entailed drilling the bell just above the shade to accept the socket knob (lamp component was formerly a desk lamp, I imagine at least, with a cord switch).

One issue that presented itself while completing was drilling the brass cap of the extinguisher. Small pilot hole on the drill press was fine, but moving to the larger bits it was catching up in the metal, I couldn’t hold onto it. I eventually devised a way to clamp it down, but I’d be interested in seeing what others are using for a drill press vice. My current vice was my grandfathers, and it isn’t the greatest quality. The sliding jaw always tilts up slightly when tightening, leaving whatever you are drilling not flat. Tightening things down on the vice itself helps, but then it is very hard to screw the jaw in and out. Probably just due to not being a high quality item, was made with low tolerences/fit/finish.

Does anyone else do anything like this on the side, for hobby or sale?

Yes I ha e fun an always picking up stuff , to my wife displeasure . Here’s a table with a fire plug . TAble creates another problem with the dog world .

My name is Gerald Taylor of Taylor made granite furnishings LLC . .

Attachments:
    Paulc
    Pro

That’s awesome Gerald! Definitely a conversation piece. Thanks for sharing.

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

I just need a bigger place to store stuff than my 3/4 acre yard . Several years ago my dad was given these Collums an capitals . The height was originally 20 ‘ . Home was built in the 1890 . In incorporated them into my gate .

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

The fire extinguisher lamp is nice . The extinguisher looks very old with the heavily raised letters .

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

That’s nice also an keeps a bit of history .

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

Making lamps from the old extinguishers was popular at one time. I imagine because, as they were being phased out, they were plentiful.
    I like the desk lamp you repurposed. Here’s mine, set up for lamp shade.

Your table lamp is nice , I really like not just repurposing for the environment. , but for historic reasons . realizing the people from older era
    Had at times an limited resources an technology .
    But had skill sets we for the most part have lost .

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.253 seconds