dcsimg

Repurposed/reused – recent project

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Paulc
    Pro

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this type of thing, or even if it is welcomed at all – just let me know if not.

One thing that really seems to hold my interest is light fixtures, for some reason. I just like them. We’ve got custom over-sink lighting in the kitchen, solar LED chandelier on our back porch cover and now this guy, which will eventually be a reading light in my as of yet non-existent basement office (almost at the point of moving to the basement, but putting in a washroom down there first). I’ve got some more custom lighting in mind, whether from scratch (copper and old wood lath sconces, etc.) or restored vintage items or repurposed other items. The vintage and industrial aesthetics appeal to me.

I just finished this guy off a couple nights ago. While it may not present itself as such, it has parts and components in it from 2 flea markets, 2 online electrical suppliers, and four local businesses (from the reproduction vintage electrical cord to the seemingly very hard to find brass socket knob).

I had to refit the fixture itself with a different style new socket, which also entailed drilling the bell just above the shade to accept the socket knob (lamp component was formerly a desk lamp, I imagine at least, with a cord switch).

One issue that presented itself while completing was drilling the brass cap of the extinguisher. Small pilot hole on the drill press was fine, but moving to the larger bits it was catching up in the metal, I couldn’t hold onto it. I eventually devised a way to clamp it down, but I’d be interested in seeing what others are using for a drill press vice. My current vice was my grandfathers, and it isn’t the greatest quality. The sliding jaw always tilts up slightly when tightening, leaving whatever you are drilling not flat. Tightening things down on the vice itself helps, but then it is very hard to screw the jaw in and out. Probably just due to not being a high quality item, was made with low tolerences/fit/finish.

Does anyone else do anything like this on the side, for hobby or sale?

Attachments:

Very unique, it looks great. Amazing some of the hobbies and work some members here do. Looking forward to seeing some of your other work / projects.

Thanks for sharing.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is a cool idea and very creative ! I could easily see a niche market for this kind of thing .

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I like the light. The extinguisher was a nice find. I believe they are pretty collectible.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Totally neat. Very nice reading lamp you built there. Extremely unique. Thank you for sharing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We have come across a couple of those old brass fire extinguishers in the past and had them cleaned up by a metal polishing shop. As they sit now they are just for show. You have hit on a great idea here that we may copy. It makes the old extinguisher much more useful. Good job and thanks for sharing.

@Paulc

For your clamping problem, you could possibly try something like these, which you could put up against your drill press vise jaws.

When you close the vise, the V-block will conform to the cylinder better than the flat vise jaw, and give you a more secure hold on your workpiece. One on each side of your vise would be ideal.

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/jig-centre-it.html

Hope this helps. Great idea and nice finished product!

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this type of thing, or even if it is welcomed at all – just let me know if not.

One thing that really seems to hold my interest is light fixtures, for some reason. I just like them. We’ve got custom over-sink lighting in the kitchen, solar LED chandelier on our back porch cover and now this guy, which will eventually be a reading light in my as of yet non-existent basement office (almost at the point of moving to the basement, but putting in a washroom down there first). I’ve got some more custom lighting in mind, whether from scratch (copper and old wood lath sconces, etc.) or restored vintage items or repurposed other items. The vintage and industrial aesthetics appeal to me.

I just finished this guy off a couple nights ago. While it may not present itself as such, it has parts and components in it from 2 flea markets, 2 online electrical suppliers, and four local businesses (from the reproduction vintage electrical cord to the seemingly very hard to find brass socket knob).

I had to refit the fixture itself with a different style new socket, which also entailed drilling the bell just above the shade to accept the socket knob (lamp component was formerly a desk lamp, I imagine at least, with a cord switch).

One issue that presented itself while completing was drilling the brass cap of the extinguisher. Small pilot hole on the drill press was fine, but moving to the larger bits it was catching up in the metal, I couldn’t hold onto it. I eventually devised a way to clamp it down, but I’d be interested in seeing what others are using for a drill press vice. My current vice was my grandfathers, and it isn’t the greatest quality. The sliding jaw always tilts up slightly when tightening, leaving whatever you are drilling not flat. Tightening things down on the vice itself helps, but then it is very hard to screw the jaw in and out. Probably just due to not being a high quality item, was made with low tolerences/fit/finish.

Does anyone else do anything like this on the side, for hobby or sale?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Making lamps from the old extinguishers was popular at one time. I imagine because, as they were being phased out, they were plentiful.
    I like the desk lamp you repurposed. Here’s mine, set up for lamp shade.

Attachments:
    Doobie

Nice job. Is it the body of the extinguisher all brass as well? Did you consider polishing it? Seen some copper ones polished and they sparkle nice!

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Nice job. Is it the body of the extinguisher all brass as well? Did you consider polishing it? Seen some copper ones polished and they sparkle nice!

From the one’s I’ve seen, the tanks are copper, the badge is brass and the top handle is cast

I second the polished look. I’m a fan of polished metal and I think it would look great polished with the wording repainted.

Not sure about how much care copper needs after polishing though. Maybe some research on this would be good if you decide to go the polished route.

Doobie

Not sure about how much care copper needs after polishing though. Maybe some research on this would be good if you decide to go the polished route.

I think as long as they are inside, nothing needs to be done. I don’t believe they will green inside over time.

I think as long as they are inside, nothing needs to be done. I don’t believe they will green inside over time.

Yup, I think if it’s inside and you don’t handle it it would stay nice.

I thought copper turning green was due to water/moisture and the dark brown was due to handling. Not sure though.

I have copper exterior door knobs and they turn ugly without constant upkeep. Had the bright idea of polishing them. Looked nice for a little while but they turned back to the dirty brown eventually. Maybe if I kept it up it would have been nice but I didn’t.

Doobie

I have copper exterior door knobs and they turn ugly without constant upkeep. Had the bright idea of polishing them. Looked nice for a little while but they turned back to the dirty brown eventually. Maybe if I kept it up it would have been nice but I didn’t.

I wonder if there’s something you can spray on them to prevent that?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thats pretty cool, I really like that.

grr boy do I EVER regret getting copper pots for my kitchen, the amount of polishing is insane.

I’m not exactly sure what they use but I’ve seen clear coated polished copper stuff. But it does change the look of the piece.

Actually, because of this discussion, I just thought I might revisit trying to finish my copper door knobs. This time I’m thinking of going a brushed finish. Maybe some Scotch-bright pads would leave a nice finish.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nyalic from Eastwood products is made especially for that. Others have used clear gloss from Rustoleum and Krylon with good results.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Thats pretty cool, I really like that.

grr boy do I EVER regret getting copper pots for my kitchen, the amount of polishing is insane.

I have some hand-me-down copper bottom pots that are 50 years old and they look fine imo.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Very cool!

I like the look with the patina

--Steve

Paulc
    Pro

Thanks for the comments all!

This particular model has a copper riveted body with a brass painted badge soldered on. The cap was also brass I discovered when I drilled it.

I didn’t consider polishing this one, that wasn’t the aesthetic that I was going for – wanted to keep it looking a bit industrial based on my tastes. They do polish up really nice though if one is so inclined to go that route.

In my own area when you see these at flea markets now they aren’t the cheapest – generally I find they are overpriced – they were produced in the thousands and then the market flooded when they were deemed unsafe. Who knows how many were destroyed, unfortunately. In bigger markets you can get them for more reasonable prices, $20, $30. I got this one at Aberfoyle Flea market, which is Canada’s oldest open-air market (and really big).

I do have an old ship’s spotlight on my list to repurpose and when I get to that I am going to give it a good shine (it is all brass).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.313 seconds