dcsimg

Replacing sink trap

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TopNotch 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Recently I noticed water on the floor in my 1/2 bathroom. My question is can I replace the sink trap and the nut that is pictured or do I need to replace the plumbing in the wall too?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Recently I noticed water on the floor in my 1/2 bathroom. My question is can I replace the sink trap and the nut that is pictured or do I need to replace the plumbing in the wall too?

Yes that nut should just spin right off. Plumbing behind the wall should be fine. Looks like it’s been leaking for some time.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

If it has been leaking for awhile it just started to leave clues on the floor lol. Should I replace it with metal or go PVC?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

If it has been leaking for awhile it just started to leave clues on the floor lol. Should I replace it with metal or go PVC?

You can see from all the junk on the pipe it’s been leaking for awhile. You can use ether. I normally use PVC on my sink installs.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Ok. Thanks Ron.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Those chrome traps are notorious for leaking. I’d switch it out for pvc or ABS

Clev08
    Pro

We always use pvc whenever we install or replace sinks. You avoid the corrosion that can happen with metal.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Did you change the trap? The trap doesn’t look as bad as the trap arm.

Usually those nipples rot out and you have the challenge of cleaning it out of the threads. My plumber has a larger tap for that occasion. I don’t and when faced with the situation I tephlon the crap out of a PVC adapter.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I will be changing it soon. Looks I will be using PVC.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I will be changing it soon. Looks I will be using PVC.

It really is an easy job, take old off, clena it al up, then install the new one and check for leaks.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

What’s the best way to clean off all the corrosion on the metal pipe?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I use a little wire brush and dig the blade of a untility knife through the grooves.

I still think the trap is the least of the problem.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Get a little bucket or paint pan and put under the trap because it will be full of water. I would definatly use pvc .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

What’s the best way to clean off all the corrosion on the metal pipe?

Throw it away…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I’m sure your talking about the pipe in the wall. I would just use a wire brush and brush it off.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

This reminds of the traps at my Grandparents place. I pretty sure they never had any problems with them.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Wasn’t uncommon for brass traps to rot out the galvanized nipple coming out of the waste line.

I hope you don’t have to deal with that trap arm………

Another hiccup I have run into is the sink drain location. Some of the older wall mounted sinks had tight bend/ close quarters traps that won’t fit s modern plastic bend without killing the nipple altogether and running an adapter right to the wall.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.662 seconds