dcsimg

Repairing stamped concrete before resealing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Hi,
    Replaced an asphalt driveway with stamped concrete a while ago. I’ll skip the drama getting to this point – it’s a year overdue to be resealed but the surface has started to deteriorate. Any suggestions for repairs before I apply the sealer?
    Thanks.

Hi,

Replaced an asphalt driveway with stamped concrete a while ago. I’ll skip the drama getting to this point – it’s a year overdue to be resealed but the surface has started to deteriorate. Any suggestions for repairs before I apply the sealer?

Thanks.

Yikes. I’m definitely not an expert in concrete , how long ago was it done , do you still have some sort of warranty on the finish ,
    If not , I’m thinking something like an epoxy filling , but I’m not sure about that.
    To bad about that , looks like a beautiful driveway aside from that problem , is it pretty much all over the driveway

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

No warranty at this point. This is already the 2nd go so I don’t trust the company’s workmanship anyway. About 8 years old, really deteriorating the last two years despite the fact I haven’t had a vehicle during that time. Worst near the street where these photos were taken. Other driveways around the neighborhood have held up fine – I really drew the short straw on this project!

No warranty at this point. This is already the 2nd go so I don’t trust the company’s workmanship anyway. About 8 years old, really deteriorating the last two years despite the fact I haven’t had a vehicle during that time. Worst near the street where these photos were taken. Other driveways around the neighborhood have held up fine – I really drew the short straw on this project!

Wow , when you mentioned other driveways , do you mean by that same contractor , or someone else , if it’s someone else , you might want to ask them their opinion , it’s almost like they didn’t use the proper cement or something 🤷‍♂️ good luck with that.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

After the first install failed in a year, someone from LaFarge was on site for the 2nd time, and tested the mix. It was fine. I think they did a poor job of finishing it.
    The other driveways nearby were done by other companies. I’ll check with a couple of them.
    Good luck with it would be a nice reversal of fortune 🙂

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

milling and resurface? Not sure it will hold up to vehicular traffic though.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

it’s almost like they didn’t use the proper cement or something 🤷‍♂️ good luck with that.

I think I would go with something. He said concrete tested good from Lafarge. I am no concrete expert. I did work in concrete for couple years. It sure looks like the way it was finished. The concrete could have set up to fast.

You could look at filling the deeper spots in the driveway and maybe try resurfacing the driveway.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

dk_99
    Pro

I’m definitely not an expert in concrete, but are you locating in a cold climate and by any chance and used salt for de-icing? I have seen driveways with this similar deterioration

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

After doing more research I’m quite certain that it was improperly finished. There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to fix while maintaining the stamped concrete pattern. I may need to have it redone if I want it to look good.
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

After doing more research I’m quite certain that it was improperly finished. There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to fix while maintaining the stamped concrete pattern. I may need to have it redone if I want it to look good.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Your probably right your concrete was improperly finished. That is too bad there is no way in maintaining the stamped look after repairing the concrete.
    Have you decided what you are going do?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

I think resurfacing will do the job.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Power wash well to remove anything loose and resurface is the only advice I would have. You need to get everything that is loose off before doing anything additional.

I would say it is poor workmanship that caused it possibly overworking the surface or to much water added tot he mix.

Was it poured late in the year? If so I have seen similar problems from using poor mix designs and failure to seal the concrete before it gets cold. Late season pours are very critical to be sealed right after the concrete is poured. We also use a 4500# or 5000# mix instead of a 4000# mix so it gains strength faster. This offsets the needed cure times and gets the strength of the concrete up before the cold can affect it. These late season pours are also more susceptible to road salt, as they cure with more open pores. This is why the sealers are essential.

Since you say it is the works by the street, that makes me think it is a road salt issue. I always recommend not using deicing chemicals on drives in the first year but have seen road salt that just dripped from vehicles do damage to a drive. The damage is very similar to what you are showing where it just peels the surface off of the slab.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.501 seconds