dcsimg

Repairing rotten wood- product recommendation

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Hi all,

I just came from a home that is in need of some siding get work and window repair. Replacing the windows is likely not going to happen, so I’m looking into epoxy based wood repair systems.

The rot isn’t severe, but there are quite a few spots around the house. Does anyone have experience with this type of thing?

Here is an example of what I would be working with. This particular window needs a sill replacement as well…won’t be repairing good that!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have used the Minwax wood repair epoxy’s a few times in the past. It you can get down to solid wood, they hold extremely well. We just overfill the space and then shape it with a chisel, Knife or file. The epoxy will last longer than the wood it is bonded to.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

We have used the Minwax wood repair epoxy’s a few times in the past. It you can get down to solid wood, they hold extremely well. We just overfill the space and then shape it with a chisel, Knife or file. The epoxy will last longer than the wood it is bonded to.

This is good info to know. I never knew this.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That sill looks like it needs replaced instead of repairing it. It would probably be easier to replace than repair also.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I’ve seen a lot of advertisements for Abatron epoxy, looks like a good product.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That sill looks like it needs replaced instead of repairing it. It would probably be easier to replace than repair also.

Here is an example of what I would be working with. This particular window needs a sill replacement as well…won’t be repairing good that!

Yep, that’s the plan…

The reason for the repair over replacement is that a few pieces are integral to the window and would require the whole window to be replaced. Most of the issues are woodpecker related aside from a few dry rotten sills. The woodpecker/bore bee stuff will be repaired if practical and the rest will be replaced.

Jon P.
    Instagram

I have cut out the rotten wood down to good wood, then applied Bondo. Once it begins to harden, it slices nicely with a chisel to shape, but once hardened all the way is hard to shape. The Bondo lasts for longer than the wood under it and can be painted easily.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Abtron woodepox is awesome stuff. Comes in 2 gallons. Part a and b. You mix it up by hand, use gloves, and can use it in replacement of wood. It’s even structural after it hardens. It carves and Sands very easily

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’ve used the J-B Weld Wood restore liquid hardener first. Dig out as much of the rotted wood as possible and apply the hardener. It soaks in and hardens the wood, may take 2 applications. Follow up with J-B Weld Wood Restore 2-part premium epoxy filler.

Clev08
    Pro

Any of the epoxy products should work. just make sure, as stated above, that you get down to solid wood. Nothing is worse than having a repair fall off or split away.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’m thinking the same thing. The time spent getting to good wood, filling and shaping is not much less time than a tear out and replace?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

That is beyond repair. That wood is not even good for fire.
    Cut the rotten part with an oscillating tool and replace it.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Abtron woodepox is awesome stuff. Comes in 2 gallons. Part a and b. You mix it up by hand, use gloves, and can use it in replacement of wood. It’s even structural after it hardens. It carves and Sands very easily

Thanks Austin. If I land that job, I’ll be going with the Abatron products as they seem to universally liked.

That is beyond repair. That wood is not even good for fire.
    Cut the rotten part with an oscillating tool and replace it.

@Sorpa
    . I’m well aware…the sill is crap in this picture, but there are other areas that could be repaired.

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

A little spackle and paint and it will paint right in.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never heard of Abtron products but from what I am reading it may be a solution in some cases.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Never heard of Abtron products but from what I am reading it may be a solution in some cases.

Thats what I’m hoping for. This window is more indicative of the type of repair I want to use it for. The other image also included a really rotten sill that would be replaced.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have repaired worse with the abtron, just takes a little time but it can be done.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This window is more indicative of the type of repair

That looks like a good candidate for repair rather than replace. If Abtron can repair that and be stronger than the original wood sound good to me.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I would be more inclined to replace it rather than try to repair it.

redwood
    Pro

I’ve used the Miniwax product that Kurt mentioned quite a bit. It’s good stuff, but know that it will sag before it sets up on vertical surfaces.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.292 seconds