dcsimg

Repair tricks

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We have a lot of homes around here with 1” pvc main water lines. When I was with the water dept with the city the guys who knew what’s up would groan every time we unearthered one. I had the same experience when I knicked my in-laws’ main line and had to repair it last summer. It’s nerve wracking knowing it could splinter at any point with the wrong amount of vibration. But that flexible pipe (not Pex, whatever they use for the supply lines) seems a lot better. But I don’t know how it holds up over time.

Well the PVC is easy to repair. Here only the sprinkler systems are PVC and the main lines coming in are 1″ copper.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

We have a lot of homes around here with 1” pvc main water lines. When I was with the water dept with the city the guys who knew what’s up would groan every time we unearthered one. I had the same experience when I knicked my in-laws’ main line and had to repair it last summer. It’s nerve wracking knowing it could splinter at any point with the wrong amount of vibration. But that flexible pipe (not Pex, whatever they use for the supply lines) seems a lot better. But I don’t know how it holds up over time.

Well the PVC is easy to repair. Here only the sprinkler systems are PVC and the main lines coming in are 1″ copper.

Easy enoug when the break is right there where you’re already working – the guys I talked to told horror stories of chasing breaks further up the line and having to dig up old pipe trying to fix another break just to have it splinter somewhere else and have to chase it again and again around a homeowner’s property. Sounded like a nightmare. I was lucky enough to never face that, but that had to be because everyone put the fear of God into me about it, lol! 1” copper is the way to go for sure.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Funny, I avoid plastic of any kind for supply lines.

Same here. This was convinced to me in speaking to my plumber buddy years ago when I was first doing my own plumbing. Copper/metal will typically last the lifetime of the structure if done correctly according to him, PEX and whatnot will not.

Copper is the most widely used over here. Plastic is just for the very cheap builds.

I am surprised there hasn’t been some water break in my town with all this cold weather. There was water line broke last year by my neighbors driveway. But it took the town 3 days to fix. They first dug in about 50ft away from where the leak was found. They dug in my yard as there was water coming on a parking lot for apt building.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Just thought I’d share – anyone else find studs with a magnet? This IKEA kitchen magnet works so well – and it’s almost exactly 16” so it does double duty if I feel confident a house is actually laid out 16” OC.

I just don’t trust stud finders, even on drywalled homes (obvious for lath and plaster this trick doesn’t work either), but I’ve never been let down by this method – if I find a screw, almost guaranteed it’s into a stud.

Charlie

Instagram

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I use that method. I misplaced my stud finder and I use magnets.
    I have some very strong neodymium magnets that I used for a project years back and that’s what I use. The point is to find a screw and I start measuring 16″ after that.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Just thought I’d share – anyone else find studs with a magnet? This IKEA kitchen magnet works so well – and it’s almost exactly 16” so it does double duty if I feel confident a house is actually laid out 16” OC.

I just don’t trust stud finders, even on drywalled homes (obvious for lath and plaster this trick doesn’t work either), but I’ve never been let down by this method – if I find a screw, almost guaranteed it’s into a stud.

Good trick for sure. I have had good luck using a compass. The needle is usually sensitive enough to find the nails holding plaster lath to the studs.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

his IKEA kitchen magnet works so well – and it’s almost exactly 16” so it does double duty

Looks really handy. Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good idea , I have the Bosch stud finder , it’s been pretty good , not perfect but no method is

That’s a good trick Charlie
    When I can or if possible I’ll find the nearest outlet and also measure from that

Thanks for the tip.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

When I can or if possible I’ll find the nearest outlet and also measure from that

That’s the fastest way to get a starting point.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

That is a nice tip for sure. Thanks for sharing.

That is good tip too.

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The magnet never fails. Also a good one is a bit of piano wire wrapped around a bit of something for a handle and a straight bit sticking out to poke in the drywall to fine the center. The wire is so small you san’t see the holes.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Also a good one is a bit of piano wire wrapped around a bit of something for a handle and a straight bit sticking out to poke in the drywall

That would work really nice for sure.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

The magnet never fails. Also a good one is a bit of piano wire wrapped around a bit of something for a handle and a straight bit sticking out to poke in the drywall to fine the center. The wire is so small you san’t see the holes.

That is another nice tip. Where do you get piano wire? I guess a music shop!

Greg

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

In older homes with plaster/lath where stud spacing can be all over the place, I have always looked at the baseboards. You can usually find the filled nail set holes and they are always on the studs. Even with multiple layers of paint you have shoe, base and cap to locate nails.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

In older homes with plaster/lath where stud spacing can be all over the place, I have always looked at the baseboards. You can usually find the filled nail set holes and they are always on the studs. Even with multiple layers of paint you have shoe, base and cap to locate nails.

Absolutely right! I like that idea, thank you.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That is another nice tip. Where do you get piano wire? I guess a music shop!

I get it when I see old junk pianos sitting on the road side for pickup.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I get it when I see old junk pianos sitting on the road side for pickup.

Really!! I can’t say I have every seen a piano sitting along side the road.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A piano by the side of the road is just not something you see everyday LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I can’t recall ever seeing that.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I can’t recall ever seeing that.

Also a good one is a bit of piano wire wrapped around a bit of something for a handle and a straight bit sticking out to poke in the drywall to fine the center. The wire is so small you san’t see the holes.

I just remember my Dad had some piano wire years ago. I remember it hung on nail in the garage. I don’t remember where he got. Not sure if he has still got it.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.422 seconds