dcsimg

Repair tricks

Tagged: 

This topic contains 59 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 4 hours, 3 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m not a plumber – but I do a fair amount of small repairs and replacements and I just found what I think is the best drip catcher ever – a metal paint tray! I’ve used so many different buckets/ bins/ trays/ shoes etc but these are so perfect, it left me wondering how many of you have a special or non standard method of keeping water off the floor when you’re working under a sink? I love the paint tray because it’s got a decent amount of volume it can hold, but it’s low profile let’s it slip under even really low p-traps.

Charlie

Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Paint trays work pretty good, I’ve used a large zip lock bag before, these are good because you can crack the p trap inside the bag to avoid any spraying/splashing

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@kswiss I like the idea of cracking the p-trap inside the bag, but how do you do that and support the bag at the same time? With my coordination, I think I’d end up letting go on accident just as it was about as full as it could be!

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Paint trays work pretty good, I’ve used a large zip lock bag before, these are good because you can crack the p trap inside the bag to avoid any spraying/splashing

Now that’s a real good idea Kyle. Thank you for sharing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Both great ideas, Guys.

I usually just fold up old towels to soak up the water.

If your soldering copper, I use a piece of old 6″ round duct flattened behind the pipe so I don’t burn anything.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I think I’d end up letting go on accident just as it was about as full as it could be!

There’s never really that much water that comes out when you crack a p trap, unless you have something that’s pretty backed up. In that case, keep the shop vac and some rags close by lol.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@kswiss I work with a daycare a lot, and the thing that gets me is when the line behind their big ol garbade disposal clogs (usually about 20′ down the pipe) and then the water backs up all the way up to the sink again. When I open the p trap on that bad boy I get about a gallon of water, so it was real nice having some capacity sitting low under the trap – plus it’s in an awkward space and the water coming out doesn’t drop straight down all the time – so the added surface area of the paint tray really helped catch everything.

@58chev I’ve done a lot of towels too, but I’ve ended up sitting in the overflow puddle enough times that I like to have something that just holds the water for me and keep towels as back up/ clean up!

Charlie

Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Great idea guys, I usually use an old baking pan that I took from home years ago, it’s very similar to the painter tray

I have a 5 gallon bucket that I cut down to 6″ for doing trap and valve replacement work . When not in use it holds plumbing fittings .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Depending on the situation and how much spillage is expected, either a short bucket or an old Frisbee underneath.

It’s a lot easier when the trap has one of those bottom release plugs though. Every time I replace one or do a new one, I gladly pay the extra for those.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@doobie I have yet to have the fortune of getting a p trap with a drain on it, lol! That does sound nice. But with my luck, it’s probably be plugged anyway.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

@doobie I have yet to have the fortune of getting a p trap with a drain on it, lol! That does sound nice. But with my luck, it’s probably be plugged anyway.

They’re quite common here. It’s just a three quarter inch gasketted plug right at the bottom. Especially handy for when someone drops a ring or a popsicle stick down the drain. Quick and easy recovery and removal. They cost almost the same as the non-drain plug P-trap types too.

Kevin.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

They’re quite common here. It’s just a quarter inch gasketted plug right at the bottom. Especially handy for when someone drops a ring or a popsicle stick down the drain. Quick and easy recovery and removal. They cost almost the same as the non-drain plug P-trap types too.

How many p traps you have under there.

Anonymous

Great idea, Thanks for the tip

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@doobie I like the idea – next time I’m replacing I’ll have to see if those are available!

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

They’re quite common here. It’s just a quarter inch gasketted plug right at the bottom. Especially handy for when someone drops a ring or a popsicle stick down the drain. Quick and easy recovery and removal. They cost almost the same as the non-drain plug P-trap types too.

How many p traps you have under there.

Three. For me it was the way I went although my plumber buddy said I could have done it different, but it was also because different things were added or changed/fixed at different times all by yours truly. There’s a sink, a garberator, and a dishwasher being drained.

EDIT TO CORRECT PREVIOUS POST.

It’s just a three quarter inch gasketted plug right at the bottom.

I had previously missed the work ‘three’ in the sentence above.

In fact, the access at the bottom may be as much as an inch in diameter. Sorry if some were confused by this error. The dept manager has been sacked. 😯

Kevin.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Here I am, going at it the other day – swapped out three more faucets for the metering type for all the little kids. I swear, we’ll probably make up the cost of the upgrade in the first month just from water savings!

Attachments:

Charlie

Instagram

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

doobie I have yet to have the fortune of getting a p trap with a drain on it, lol! That does sound nice. But with my luck, it’s probably be plugged anyway.

They’re quite common here. It’s just a three quarter inch gasketted plug right at the bottom. Especially handy for when someone drops a ring or a popsicle stick down the drain. Quick and easy recovery and removal. They cost almost the same as the non-drain plug P-trap types too.

All my P-Traps also have plugs.
    @cmeyer25,
    Check your local big box stores or plumbing specialty stores.
    My experience is most times two of three big box stores will be sold out and half the traps will be missing the plug in the other store.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Here I am, going at it the other day – swapped out three more faucets for the metering type for all the little kids. I swear, we’ll probably make up the cost of the upgrade in the first month just from water savings!

I’ve never seen this before, what is a metering type of faucet?

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Lol that must be a kids sink, I was trying to figure out why it was so close to the floor

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.842 seconds