dcsimg

Renovation of 24 Sussex Dr

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’ll do it for 14.9 Million.

As mentioned heritage property is it’s own beast. I worked with a guy that bought a heritage property and now he wishes he did not.

I almost bought one 15 yrs ago and am very glad that I did not.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I don’t think it’s something they should make a reality tv show out of, but then again maybe it’ll add enough transparency so money is actually used towards renovation.

From what the news reported it still has knob and tube wiring and most of the windows wouldn’t even close tight. It’s pretty much a dump inside and wouldn’t pass any of the modern code.

As much as I do love heritage homes, and maintaining the character of a national property and landmark, I am afraid of what will happen and what it will cost if this goes the classic RFP route. I would love to see it done well, but at what cost, we shall see.

W

Will

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

One of the former Prime Minister’s wife actually wrote a book about the history of the place, according to her there really isn’t any “heritage” left in there, all the interior was from the last renovation during the 50’s.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sounds like it needs to catch on fire???

yellaD
    Pro

Sounds like it needs to catch on fire???

If only we could be so lucky. That would be the easiest way to demolish it without having public push-back (because it’s a heritage building) and build it for the next 150 yrs before they do another reno. lol.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

What 24 Sussex looked like in 1949 before the first major reno..

After the last major reno 1950/51.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Anyone but Mike Holmes , He is really full of himself .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

What 24 Sussex looked like in 1949 before the first major reno..

After the last major reno 1950/51.

Looks ridiculously large. Perhaps the PM should insist that it’s demoed and rebuilt on a practical scale?

Is this property only a residence or does it serve as an office as well?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Looks ridiculously large. Perhaps the PM should insist that it’s demoed and rebuilt on a practical scale?

Mostly a residence, stately functions are performed at Governor General’s place at Rideau Hall.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Mostly a residence, stately functions are performed at Governor General’s place at Rideau Hall.

IMO, that’s even more of a reason to demo the place. Exactly why does it need to undergo such an expensive reno? It’s not my money, but the Canadian tax payers probably wouldn’t appreciate it…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

IMO, that’s even more of a reason to demo the place. Exactly why does it need to undergo such an expensive reno? It’s not my money, but the Canadian tax payers probably wouldn’t appreciate it…

It’s a old historical stone building. We have some of those over here too. They look like they were built by the same Europeans as the ones here.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I don’t think they will be destroyed. Too much historical significance. Quite a bit of craftsmanship in these old buildings, but I think updates to them have been patchwork at best. Treating symptoms and not curing the disease so to speak. Of course it will be expensive, but every country has buildings that harken to their heritage. Probably better things to spend money on, but a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Yeah what’s probably going to happen is after much bemoaning and committee study, it’ll be renovated halfassed and let future resident worry about it in another 30 years.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

lol we don’t have many historical buildings its probably why they would rather keep it than destroyed it.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

The noon show on CBC radio here, interviewed Brian Baumlur. He did mention the 50’s reno took away most of the nice features. I missed part of the interview. The the host asked people to call in with there opinions. About half said rip it down.

Some people were upset that they let it go that far. Was a good show to listen to. It maybe on the CBC Regina website.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’d love to see Brian Baumler in there, Mike Holmes would make me not want to watch and he would probably overdo everything to the point of doubling the budget. I think with the exposure of the red tape that would go along with it along with having to mask all of the security aspects that the RCMP would want hidden it would make for a difficult show to make in there.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I wonder how sound the exterior/frame is though, assuming it’s good, at this point the best option is probably to gut the house and complete redo the interior.

It may not be a historical building but still have some symbolism associated. Plus the style of architecture will look good 100 years from now, whereas any contemporary or modern design they replace it with will just be weird 50 years down the road.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I think they should be saving these old buildings and not knocking them down .

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The noon show on CBC radio here, interviewed Brian Baumlur. He did mention the 50’s reno took away most of the nice features. I missed part of the interview. The the host asked people to call in with there opinions. About half said rip it down.

Some people were upset that they let it go that far. Was a good show to listen to. It maybe on the CBC Regina website.

I couldn’t find that show but I did hear some of an Ontario Today phone-in where several callers were suggesting a reality show to highlight the work. Most of the callers were in favour of the proposed reno in spite of the cost.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.556 seconds