dcsimg

Renovation of 24 Sussex Dr

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

What does everyone think of the concept of reality TV hosts leading on this renovation?

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/10/31/mike-holmes-offers-to-renovate-24-sussex-as-renovation-experts-weigh-in.html

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

If they were to keep the drama out of the show, it might be interesting to see.
    I have not watched a Holmes show in a number of years.

Brian at least has a sense of humour and is not arrogant like Mike.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

I think it’s a dumb idea. It’ll never happen.

What’s next then….TOH renos the White House?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Ya, I think it’s crazy… unless they do it for a HUGE discount. It’s my tax dollars going to fix the old place. (which is a dump if I recall)

hhhmmm MAYBE it is a good thing. They could subsidize it with the ad revenue. And get Justin in there helping. We could see if he can put in a hard days work or two that’s not kissing babies or sitting at a desk.

either way it needs to get fixed up

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

yellaD
    Pro

If we take out the “who’s paying for this?” factor, I think it’s a good idea because it gets our Parliament Building exposure and therefore it needs to look crisp and clean. If they hosts hire local guys and teach them a little would be even better. Hopefully they don’t put LED lights accenting the monuments/statues and we’re good!

Doobie

If we take out the “who’s paying for this?” factor, I think it’s a good idea because it gets our Parliament Building exposure and therefore it needs to look crisp and clean. If they hosts hire local guys and teach them a little would be even better. Hopefully they don’t put LED lights accenting the monuments/statues and we’re good!

How does it highlight the parliament buildings. It’s a stand alone house miles away from there and they rarely ever film anything there. It’s not like the White House in the states. Front and center and a stage in its own right.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Holmes huh? Is he qualified?

I’ve always liked Brian Baumler a lot more personally.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

Holmes huh? Is he qualified?

I’ve always liked Brian Baumler a lot more personally.

They’re both guys that do good stuff, but Mike would likely go overboard with our tax dollars on it.

I somehow doubt they’re qualified for this kind of massive job. A fifteen million dollar plus job is no ordinary reno job.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Ya, I think it’s crazy… unless they do it for a HUGE discount. It’s my tax dollars going to fix the old place. (which is a dump if I recall)

hhhmmm MAYBE it is a good thing. They could subsidize it with the ad revenue. And get Justin in there helping. We could see if he can put in a hard days work or two that’s not kissing babies or sitting at a desk.

either way it needs to get fixed up

I agree it would be.nice to see it done at a huge discount to taxpayers since it will be televised entertainment.

A Working Pro since 2004

yellaD
    Pro

I mean that it reaches a bigger audience, or someone new to the country, to know where or what 24 Sussex is. I’ve actually taken a trip to Ottawa just to see it (instead of in books) so I think it would good for someone else also. The building(s) is nothing special compared to other gov’t buildings around the world but still a worthwhile experience. IMO it’s better than the stupid CN Tower we have, but whatever gets tourists here and money flowing is OK.

If 24 Sussex was being bid on by private contractors, don’t you think it is sketchier? I know lots of companies who gouge the gov’t contract bids. The way I understand it, the office has a budget that if it doesn’t get spent, they won’t get an increase in the following year’s budget. So therefore they want to spend it (unwisely) and will pay over market value for work done. So, IMO we the taxpayers are gonna pay for it, to whom is the only option and I don’t think a private co. will be as charitable with the community in return as with the “stars”. It’s better for their “brand” to appear like givers rather than takers, Holmes (as much as he rubs the worng way)has done lots of charity builds around Toronto (e.g. High Park kids playground).

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

For $15 mil couldn’t they build a new residence cheaper? better? nicer? seems like a lot of house for a guy that only makes $200K a year (i think) 🙂

Brad T

Doobie

For $15 mil couldn’t they build a new residence cheaper? better? nicer? seems like a lot of house for a guy that only makes $200K a year (i think) :-)

That’s what I thought as well. There must be reasons why that is not viable. Maybe they have built all sorts of things that they don’t talk about there that are super costly. Like maybe an underground bomb/attack shelter and command center and escape tunnels that run far into the ground. Who knows.

I’m sure the opposition will be using their time in question period to go after all this at some point. It’ll no doubt turn into a political circus at some point.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Is 24 Sussex a slum??

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Yup. The last prime minister wouldn’t even live in it, it’s a dump.

Maybe somebody should put a BTP crew together to fix it up 😉

Brad T

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Is 24 Sussex a slum??

Yeah, it’s been neglected for about 50 years or so. It’s the Prime Minister’s official residence but it needs $10 – 15 million in renovations to bring it up to date as a functional home.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

It has needed work for over 40 years.

It is registered as a Heritage Building.

Two factors that make the needed renovations more expensive. I would imagine that once you start tearing into it, there will be a lot more work needed than meets the eye. THAT is where the contractors make the money, not on the job bid itself so much, but all the extras and changes that have to be made after work has started.

It would be an interesting documentary, but there are some special considerations due to the Heritage designation that a lot of contractors will not be familiar with. Some work will have to be done a certain way and some stuff will have to be preserved/restored instead of replaced. It’s not like you just go in and gut the place and put up new dry wall and trim after upgrading the electric, plumbing, structure, etc. Details that are too far gone to be saved will have to be re-created to blend in with the old. That means you are starting to work with artisans who are not cheap, IF you can find them, AND they are not booked for the next few years.

It’s not going to get any cheaper by putting it off. It is becoming (has become) unsafe (asbestos abatement, lead paint, faulty wiring, etc.). They may as well just get to it.

Or they could tear it down a put a mobile home on the property 🙂

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

And being deemed a “Heritage Home” they can’t just tear it down

It would be funny, if they hired the next to cheapest bid. Only to have the contractor walk away with all the money and not do any work..

Maybe that’s why they want a celeb to do the work?? 😮

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I’ll do it for 14.9 Million.

As mentioned heritage property is it’s own beast. I worked with a guy that bought a heritage property and now he wishes he did not.

Yup. The last prime minister wouldn’t even live in it, it’s a dump.

Maybe somebody should put a BTP crew together to fix it up 😉

Harper lived in 24, thats why they had to wait for him to leave to start talk. Trudeau is the one who doesnt want his kids in that hole.

I dont blame him. Probably be cheaper to salvage a few notable pieces for a museum, raze it, and build something with 21st century materials (and maybe integrate some salvaged materials)

Or, treat it as a heritage site, and move the PM’s residence to a new site. Lots of crown land in that area, shouldnt be too hard to carve out a new estate for a crown building.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The main advantage of celeb “contractors” would be the transparency of the work. There may be cost savings from suppliers discounting materials in return for visibility of their products and the public would have more of a sense of ownership of the property by being able to watch some of the work being done.

I’ll do it for 14.9 Million.

As mentioned heritage property is it’s own beast. I worked with a guy that bought a heritage property and now he wishes he did not.

Documentation of the special treatment required for heritage properties could educate guys like your buddy and help them avoid some of the pitfalls of these buildings.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.563 seconds