dcsimg

Removing carpet glue from concrete floors??

This topic contains 31 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  MRenes 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The previous owner glued out door carpet on a set of concrete steps. They have the deep ridges on them for slip. We still haven’t gotten all the glue out of the grooves. Royal PITA

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

I’ve heard dry ice works great.

I HAVEN”T TRIED IT THOUGH..

anybody ???

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’ve heard dry ice works great.

I HAVEN”T TRIED IT THOUGH..

anybody ???

Never heard of that, it would be great if it works. I would probably go for the angle grinder and a concrete / diamond cup polisher on it but that’s a lot messier.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I vote for the buffer machine.

Agree

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I vote for the buffer machine.

Agree

Sounds like this is the easiest option.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Rent a floor buffer wit the carbide scraper base. It will be less than a hundret bucks and you can cover over a hundred SF in an hour. You will be at if forever with an OMT. Even coarse sandpaper will plug up real fast. A buffer will cut a 12 to 18 inch circle depending on the size of the disk. No better way.

Sandpaper seems like a good idea for the first couple of minutes or so. The carbide scraper is the best option.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

This is a cheaper option, that I’ve used once. A long handled floor scraper. You can sharpen the edge a little since you’re on concrete and that’ll help it go a little faster. It’s a little rough on the back, but if you’re strapped for cash – I’d go this route.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000224PU/ref=asc_df_B0000224PU5285752/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0000224PU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167133658256&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3890215091801316684&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033356&hvtargid=pla-316284993835

Charlie

Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

the easiest and fastest way to remove any glue or mortar from a concrete floor would be to use a floor grinding tool like the PHX12

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z-X9SpkWER0?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ gesture=”media” allow=”encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Screen name + Item discussing= Same name=SPAM

@phx12 Advertising is not allowed here

@chadm

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

This is good info as I may run into the same thing in my basement when I pull up the carpet that is sticking to the floor. Not sure if it’s glued down in sports or what.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

We’ve been renting lots of different floor grinders to remove glue etc and then stain the floors. This is the machine that we have liked the best and now about to purchase our own.

pg 280 husqvarna floor grinder.

It is pretty small, it is works great.

Doobie
    Pro

We’ve been renting lots of different floor grinders to remove glue etc and then stain the floors. This is the machine that we have liked the best and now about to purchase our own.

Have you seen this one Matt @mrenes in this thread by @overanalyze (Andrew) ?

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/overanalyzes-basement-finally/page/41/#post-652409

It looked truly impressive to me. No idea what they cost to buy. One thing one always has to look at with this kind of equipment is the consumables costs. Make sure you do that part of your pre-purchase homework.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

Have you seen this one Matt @mrenes in this thread by @overanalyze (Andrew) ?

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/overanalyzes-basement-finally/page/41/#post-652409

It looked truly impressive to me. No idea what they cost to buy. One thing one always has to look at with this kind of equipment is the consumables costs. Make sure you do that part of your pre-purchase homework.

Thanks @doobie. Yeah we have looked at those costs. We’ve already paid in rental fees to pay for 1.5x the cost of purchasing. They really are not too expensive to purchase if you get the smaller ones.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.591 seconds