dcsimg

Removing carpet glue from concrete floors??

This topic contains 31 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  MRenes 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Andre_C
    Pro
    Miramichi, New-Brunswick

Has anyone had to remove carpet glue from a basement concrete floor? What did you do or what product did you use? I would like to find a method that uses no chemicals or something with the least chemicals in it. I am currently using a small scraper, but at this rate it will take me forever. Thanks.

Try a scraper blade in an OMT tool or perhaps a rotary type sander with coarse grit and slow speed?

Orange County, CA

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Rent a floor buffer wit the carbide scraper base. It will be less than a hundret bucks and you can cover over a hundred SF in an hour. You will be at if forever with an OMT. Even coarse sandpaper will plug up real fast. A buffer will cut a 12 to 18 inch circle depending on the size of the disk. No better way.

kzcarp
    Pro

Unless it’s really old brittle glue residue that can be scraped off with a hand carbide scraper, this one in a floor surfacing machine. It’s the Cat’s Meow.
    http://www.aaarentall.com/site.php?pageID=55&iteminfo=1&productID=38

kevin

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This is the type of scraper disk we use

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I removed the carpet from my home and installed wood planks. I was able to get the adhesive up easily with my OMT. Just zipped right through it. Then, any residue comes up with Zep’s Fast 505.

Pat

Andre_C
    Pro
    Miramichi, New-Brunswick

Thanks for all your replies. I think I’ll start with the low tech and use my OMT. I hope the blade is up to the job because I have quite a few sq ft to remove. Perhaps I’ll use some boiling water to soften up the hard as nails glue.

Thanks again.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Thanks for all your replies. I think I’ll start with the low tech and use my OMT. I hope the blade is up to the job because I have quite a few sq ft to remove. Perhaps I’ll use some boiling water to soften up the hard as nails glue.
    Thanks again.

Let us know how it goes, I’ve used rental machines in the past but I’m usually dealing with a decently big square footage.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I vote for the buffer machine.

If it is a large area then I would go with a buffer machine or something – it would take forever with an OMT. If it is a smaller area, then I would try the OMT and see how it worked. Maybe some Goo Gone or something would also help.

Orange County, CA

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Have you considered something like this?

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-2842/Mops-Squeegees-and-Carts/8-Heavy-Duty-Floor-Scraper?pricode=WU338&gadtype=pla&id=34610147242&gclid=CNzLhK2ew7wCFc5DMgod1hoAMA&gclsrc=aw.ds

When I worked for a plastering company we used to use these all the time to clean up the floor after we were done..Worked great

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

redwood
    Pro

When I was remodeling restaurants, we had to do that a lot. I would never use a OMT, unless it was a very small area. I’d probably use a 6″ hand scraper before that. I would use one of the mechanical scrapers such as Kevin and Kurt recommended. Your knees will thank you.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Andre_C
    Pro
    Miramichi, New-Brunswick

Well, I had to give it a try with the OMT. Mark and Matt, you were right, the area is too big for the OMT. The glue is old and dried up and there is some parts of the backing of the lino that stayed stuck to the floor. It makes it hard to remove. I guess my next step is to find the scraper like the one Jim suggested. The flooring store should carry something like this?
    More to follow on the progress when I find that tool.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Andre, how big or an area are we talking. I have used those handheld scrapers on small areas, but if your area is vert big, you will wear a hole in your hand before you get it cleaned up. Go with the floor buffer and carbide scrapers. You will thank yourself later.

We cleaned up an area that was 40 x 80 in 3 to 4 hours. It is fast and easy

Andre_C
    Pro
    Miramichi, New-Brunswick

The main area I will deal with at first is small areas all over the basement. it’s many 2-3 sq ft blocks and many strips a couple of ft by 5-6 in wide.
    There also appears to be a coating that was added after the floor was poured, simply by the fact that the floor is red and looks like it was sealed in with something.

I definitely will get the floor buffer for the 10X12 carpet that is still glued to the floor, but that’s for another project.

Anonymous

I had to remove old tile and the glue residue off of an old concrete floor once. What a horrible job that was, After spending some time with a 3″ putty knife and a hammer LOL. I rented a scraper kinda like Jim posted only it was pneumatic, It worked great.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Sorry to hear that the OMT didn’t work for you. My hand was getting cramped from using a scraper and the OMT did the job for me. I suppose it depends on the situation…
    Glad you got it off 🙂

Pat

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Whenever I have done this in the past I use a pneumatic scraper on a pole. If you get the blade sharp enough it can really do the job for you.

Rent a floor buffer wit the carbide scraper base. It will be less than a hundret bucks and you can cover over a hundred SF in an hour. You will be at if forever with an OMT. Even coarse sandpaper will plug up real fast. A buffer will cut a 12 to 18 inch circle depending on the size of the disk. No better way.

For sure the best answer .

Always willing to learn .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow never knew that. Thanks

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.508 seconds