dcsimg

Refinishing Hardwoods floors

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

The house I just bought has hardwood floors. I am looking at refinishing them before we move in. They don’t look to bad. Just your normal wear marks. I will know more when we take ownership.
    My plan was to redo them myself. After doing some research and watching videos on youtube. I am just wondering what would be the best way to refinish the floors.
    We might look at hiring it done. As we like to move in the house as soon as we can.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

The house I just bought has hardwood floors. I am looking at refinishing them before we move in. They don’t look to bad. Just your normal wear marks. I will know more when we take ownership.

My plan was to redo them myself. After doing some research and watching videos on youtube. I am just wondering what would be the best way to refinish the floors.

We might look at hiring it done. As we like to move in the house as soon as we can.

I’ve done a few refinishing of hardwood floors , it’s definitely better now than in the past , lots of good products to either do a thorough job of removing by sanding machines , or if it’s not too bad , you can rent those machines that basically just scuff up the surface and then redo it ,
    It’s just critical that no dust movement when you start applying the finish

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I’ve done a few refinishing of hardwood floors , it’s definitely better now than in the past , lots of good products to either do a thorough job of removing by sanding machines , or if it’s not too bad , you can rent those machines that basically just scuff up the surface and then redo it ,

It’s just critical that no dust movement when you start applying the finish

I have looked into rental prices of Sanders. It would be nice if we could give the floors a good scuff and add new finish. We might lucky that is all we need.
    I was in touch with refinishers today. They won’t give a ball park quote over the phone. Now I got see if I get in to look at the floors for quote. They did say it could take up to week to do the floors.

Greg

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

A lot depends on the floor finish. If it is one of the newer aluminum oxide finishes, they are a bear to get through. I talked to one floor sanding sub I use, who said it is just better to replace them if that is the case. it costs almost as much to sand them as to buy new.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

A lot depends on the floor finish. If it is one of the newer aluminum oxide finishes, they are a bear to get through. I talked to one floor sanding sub I use, who said it is just better to replace them if that is the case. it costs almost as much to sand them as to buy new.

Yes I am sure depends on the finish. I am take guess and say this finish is not newer kind.
    . I attached a couple pictures from the Realtor.

Greg

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

You have to check whether the sanding it’s worthy.
    If it was done a few times maybe there is not enough meat left.

Doobie

Those look the same as in our house. Red oak. Good for two sandings at best.

Unless you are trying to maintain the heritage look of the home, just go for replacing them with something new that will often have a finish that will long outlast anything you can buy to seal those old ones.

Unless you are trying to maintain the heritage look of the home, just go for replacing them with something new that will often have a finish that will long outlast anything you can buy to seal those old ones.

Personally I would change the floors myself , it’s not the style we like , but it’s definitely depends on budget and style , and like you said , if you are trying to keep the look of the home

I’m leaning towards the new look of wider floor boards but it’s definitely personal choice ,
    Remember that the boss has the final say lol

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Good point!

I would think these floor haven’t seen 2 sandings. This too is the same type of floor that was in my Grandparents place. There floor was only done once when was install in 1962.
    I do like like the older look of the floors. I don’t we really want replace the floors for number reasons. It might be something we look at.

Personally I would change the floors myself , it’s not the style we like , but it’s definitely depends on budget and style , and like you said , if you are trying to keep the look of the home

I’m leaning towards the new look of wider floor boards but it’s definitely personal choice ,
    Remember that the boss has the final say lol

Sometimes budget has alot to do with it. I do like the floor boards also.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have been giving it alot thought about refinishing the floors. We bought the house because of the hardwood floors. As we like the look. Yes it older look. But we are ok with that. I was looking for advice and suggestions on how to refinish the floors if I tried to do it myself.

I did try to get a quote to see what it would cost to have professional do the floors. He needs to see the floors to give a quote. I can respect this. I am thinking I might just wait to see what they look like when the places is empty and go from there.

Greg

I have been giving it alot thought about refinishing the floors. We bought the house because of the hardwood floors. As we like the look. Yes it older look. But we are ok with that. I was looking for advice and suggestions on how to refinish the floors if I tried to do it myself.

I did try to get a quote to see what it would cost to have professional do the floors. He needs to see the floors to give a quote. I can respect this. I am thinking I might just wait to see what they look like when the places is empty and go from there.

Sometimes that’s the best option , this way you see the entire floors , no furniture or beds covering them

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Sometimes that’s the best option , this way you see the entire floors , no furniture or beds covering them

I agree it is the best option.

Greg

Clev08
    Pro

@GTokley the floors look like they have similar wear to our hardwood floors which have not been refinished. One thing to make sure of is that the flooring is 3/4 inch thick, my parents had 1/4 inch oak flooring in their upstairs and had to be very carefull when sanding them not to be too aggressive.
    If you are going to attempt to sand them yourself I would recommend renting a large belt sander that is flat on the bottom. My dad rented a drum sander and had a heck of a time getting the floor flat as any inconsistency in speed will result in uneven sanding. He rented a large 20” by 14” random orbit sander to try and flatten the floor but it left enough swirl marks that we resanded their living room after the stain showed a lot of inconsistencies.
    As far as finishing the floors my dad used Bona Traffic HD with a hardener. We got it from a flooring supply house in Omaha but you might be able to find it online. You apply it with a 12” T bar with another guy using a pad to cut in the perimeter ( their are good instructional videos on YouTube). The finish had held up really well, but you need to keep your house at a fairly consistent temperature and humidity level to keep the floor from moving.
    After helping my parents refinish their hardwood floors and seeing how difficult it is to get a flawless end result my wife and I are going to hire someone else to refinish ours next year. So, is it possible to do the job yourself and save money? Yes, but most likely if you hire professionals you will get a better result and it will get done a lot quicker in my experience.
    Hope my 2 cents helps! Good luck with your decision.

Doobie

Hope my 2 cents helps!

I think that was great info. 👍

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

my parents had 1/4 inch oak flooring

You’re sure is not a typo?
    Never seen or heard of 1/4″ thick floors.
    Hmm, maybe the chinesium laminated ones. But even those were bordering 3/8″.

Hope my 2 cents helps!

I think that was great info. 👍

Very good info , the pros who do refinishing daily are definitely faster , and know some good techniques

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@GTokley the floors look like they have similar wear to our hardwood floors which have not been refinished. One thing to make sure of is that the flooring is 3/4 inch thick, my parents had 1/4 inch oak flooring in their upstairs and had to be very carefull when sanding them not to be too aggressive.

If you are going to attempt to sand them yourself I would recommend renting a large belt sander that is flat on the bottom. My dad rented a drum sander and had a heck of a time getting the floor flat as any inconsistency in speed will result in uneven sanding. He rented a large 20” by 14” random orbit sander to try and flatten the floor but it left enough swirl marks that we resanded their living room after the stain showed a lot of inconsistencies.

As far as finishing the floors my dad used Bona Traffic HD with a hardener. We got it from a flooring supply house in Omaha but you might be able to find it online. You apply it with a 12” T bar with another guy using a pad to cut in the perimeter ( their are good instructional videos on YouTube). The finish had held up really well, but you need to keep your house at a fairly consistent temperature and humidity level to keep the floor from moving.

After helping my parents refinish their hardwood floors and seeing how difficult it is to get a flawless end result my wife and I are going to hire someone else to refinish ours next year. So, is it possible to do the job yourself and save money? Yes, but most likely if you hire professionals you will get a better result and it will get done a lot quicker in my experience.

Hope my 2 cents helps! Good luck with your decision.

Thank you for this information. I have researching online and watching YouTube videos.

Greg

Doobie

My red oak floors are 5/8ths thick. Yours will probably be too Greg.

my parents had 1/4 inch oak flooring

You’re sure is not a typo?

Never seen or heard of 1/4″ thick floors.

Hmm, maybe the chinesium laminated ones. But even those were bordering 3/8″.

Might be slightly thicker than 1/4 inch , if so , most probably engineered hardwood , they use that type in condos around here , it’s almost like floating floors , they are glued together at the tongue and groove ,

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I’ve never glued tongue and groove floating floors.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.567 seconds