dcsimg

Recycling jobsite waste

This topic contains 41 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 5 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

How many of you guys recycle? We are required by law to recycle all our waste. Not only that we are required to hire the city recommended dump service. If we decide to haul our own debris, we have to leave a 750.00 deposit and give them a written report explaining the “best practice” method of disposal, that we used.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We recycle cardboard and metals as much as possible. Other than that everything goes to the landfill.

redwood
    Pro

We haul most of our waste and recycle at the landfill. Some cities require a deposit, others do not.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Most of my wood scraps get taken home and used for fires, any metal I take into the the scrap yard when I get a big enough pile, pretty much everything else goes in the dumpster.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

It is amazing to me how much packaging material winds up going to the landfill. I don’t have an answer for it as items need to be protected on their way to the jobsite.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

The best thing we can do is donate to Habitat for Humanity Re-Store or Salvation Army it really is unbelievable how much stuff they will take and reuse.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

All our waste gos to the waste drop off station, then sorted and a lot goes to the H-power plant and some to the land fill.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Only PITA we have is there is only one place to dump pressure treated in 50 miles. I think its law in Cali that the dump has to be pressure treated approved.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

We go and get stuff from people to reuse. All metal we recycle, normally get a several thousand dollars per yr off of metal. Any wood product we burn otherwise it goes into the dumpster.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I end up burning the majority of the waste that comes from the site. Old wood, paper, ect. The rest goes into my dump trailer and then when its full, I take it and dump it. I love to watch pallets burn.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I would probably go to prison if I got caught burning trash here!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We can not burn anything here or we go to jail.
    When we do a remodel we can call reuse Hawaii and they will come pick up the reusable stuff and sell it at their warehouse store.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Yeah – laws are strict in California. Fortunately I use mostly hardwood and green recycling picks it up every week, including saw dust.

Orange County, CA

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

It’s a double edge sword, I can go to prison for burning trash but fires burn balconies and I get a ton of calls afterwards.

contrctr
    Pro
    roanoke, VA

We try to recycle certain things here but there are just nit any places to get rid of most building materials leftovers. We recycle all metals. Just took a partial load last week with copper pipe and wire and some steel and cast iron tub. Got over seven hundred for the load. Also take cardboard to recycle centers when have big amounts on site.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Serviceable items go to the re-use-it store.. the rest we have a c&d landfill that still buries it.

--Steve

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Around here there’s a ton of waste. Some guys I’ve seen toss perfectly good stuff into the jobsite dumpster. It seems like every job has either a ton of leftover, or you’re crawling around other sites nearby at the direction of the project manager to try to find that last bit of material that was missing when trying to finish up a job. It’s never close one way or the other. That’s the new construction way around here anyway.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

The best recycling I can do………is to plan, so that we eliminate waste.
    We created a contest for ourselves to see if we could build a deck and haul off the waste in a 5 gallon bucket (Sawdust included). That was fun and saved us money
    ” Coming and Going”

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I let my guys scrap metal. I dispose of plastics and cardboard. Rest goes into a roll off container for the trash

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Try to do as much as possible but sometimes it ain’t easy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.586 seconds