dcsimg

Reconditioned Tools

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Do you guys ever buy reconditioned tools? Assuming all things equal (warranty, scratch free, all accessories, no strings attached regarding repairs) would you buy the reconditioned model to save $__ or not?

John S

woodman_412

I never have and probably never will. I don’t find that they are usually significantly cheaper so I would rather just get a brand new tool and pay a little more. Have you ever bought one John?

Dan

danpattison.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I have, none have had signs of taking a beating, they all looked like new. Never had a problem with them. Also bought some “returns” that that were heavily discounted that only needed minor work

rznhale
    Pro

We bought a 18V Compact Lithium-ion Impact Driver (off of ebay “Make Offer”) We paid $22.00, that was over a year ago, and it works like a champ.
    We tend to look on ebay & craigslist, you can find some great buys

I haven’t bought a power tool reconditioned, but have done shopped in the “returns/lightly damaged” sections of stores before… It is hard to beat instantly saving $20 just because somebody else opened the box before I did! I also noticed that amazon recently added a seller on some of the items (depending on if they have it in stock) called “amazon warehouse” or something along those lines… and they give you an additional 5-10% off a brand new item (basically) that has been returned… definitely a no brainer when I do not worry it will end up being a dud.

John S

But there are certain deals at reconditioned tool resellers (CPO outlet, for example) that seem really hard to pass… If the difference is only $10-20, I would go new. But if it gets to be $50-75, it is tempting. I just don’t want to get burned with a dud…

John S

redwood
    Pro

I’ve bought lots of reconditioned tools over the years. For the most part no more problems then new tools.

Warranties are not always the same as new.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I have bought reconditioned, never any issues and have always gotten a good deal.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

It depends on the item and the price. I may not buy a reconditioned nail gun, but may buy a simple drill if the price was right. The brand name will carry some weight in the decision too. Bosch reconditioned vs ryobi for instance.

redwood
    Pro

I bought Festool reconditioned, it was the only way I could afford them.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I would consider looking into a cheaper brand tool new, rather than a quality tool-reconditioned. Thoughts?

redwood
    Pro

If you mean cheaper in quality, no. New or not, the cheaper quality tool will always be cheaper in quality.

I’ve bought Bosch, Makita and DeWalt reconditioned tools. All were probably better then a no name new tool.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Nail gun is one of the items I would be most hesitant to buy reconditioned… but maybe that is wrong?

John S

redwood
    Pro

I was thinking the same thing John. Misfiring nail guns is a scary thought.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I see what you are saying Mark, but sometimes the price difference is tempting.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

dan`s right,, when i was starting out i considered buying reconditioned tools but when i saw the cost differenece between a brand new mitre saw and a reconditioned one was only about 10% and a very poor warretny i opted not to. your better off buying new because you dont know what the previous owner used it for. tools are never the same after being repaired once

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I haven,t and probably won,t .

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I don’t think I would buy a recon tool online, I like to see what I’m buying…. appearance is a good indicator of if the tool was abused. Every Summer there’s always a few “tool sales” in my area. These guys show up with tractor-trailer loads of tools and set up in parking lots or conference rooms of larger hotels. They have a lot of no name tools, but also have lots of recon tools. I picked up a DeWalt 12″ miter saw (slider) for just over 1/2 price of new. It looked like new and came with full warrenty

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I do buy recon. sometimes and they have always been good but I prefer to wait for sales.
    I don’t like that ‘unknown’ factor.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Here’s an interesting tidbit… not all recon tools were abused or “broken” and repaired. Some places have a return policy “for any reason”. People will buy a tool because they need it for a one time use and return it. That tool can’t be sold as new, but will be returned to factory, tested and sold as recon.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.490 seconds