dcsimg

Recommend an appliance brand?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I hear the Binford 3600 series is a good dryer.

I’m partial to the Binford 6100 myself…more power!

Every time I hear or see the name “Binford” I think of Tim The Tool Man Taylor from Home Improvement. Before that TV show, I had never heard of Binford.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

We got a new Fridge a couple months ago after 21 years. The new one is also a Frigedaire, due mostly to price and the fact that the old one held up so well.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Whichever brand you end up going with, one thing I can say is that I’d recommend doing a little homework to see which brands/models are easiest to get parts for online (ereplacementparts.com or other sites). Inevitably, something will go wrong or break, and you don’t want to be left without an avenue for buying parts easily after the warranty is up. If you start with a product that’s well represented part wise, there’s a better chance it’ll still be available when something goes wrong.

Doobie

Just try to stay away from fancy electronics in appliances. Speaking over the years to appliance repair guys I hear the same thing. The simpler and less electronics there is, the cheaper and longer lasting they are.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ve asked the appliance people where I work and they say Bosch dishwasher is top of the line. LG washer/dryers are good.

If I could I would splurge for a commercial dishwasher. That will use a bit more juice and water but be worth every penny.

My first apartment, we got one from a bankruptcy. BIG mistake.

The soap is hyper aggressive. Removed the glaze from some cheaper dishes

The right rack has to be used, so you have to store a small stack of external racks.

The cycle is only about 3 minutes, but it never fully drains. It is intended to be used often. Even three guys and visiting girlfriends could not run it enough that it didn’t start to stink after a week or so. Cleaning was possible, but needed to happen constantly since we didn’t run it enough

Maybe the one I had was an exceptionally bad one, but I think the need to be run several times a day (with a couple of days off here and there) is still constant. Some models even need to be fully flushed and drained at the end of every shift

What I want is a DW so quiet I dont even know its on. The newest Bosch dishwashers are actually quieter than the sound of a quiet room. That means they essentially are black holes of sound, and you won’t be able to hear it running over the sound of the fridge and the other ambient sounds.

i never considered because it was meant to be run constantly that it wouldn’t drain properly. weird. I’ll have to look into this more. I basically want a more powerful washer then what I have. I have a bloomberg at home, which is okay.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The simpler and less electronics there is, the cheaper and longer lasting they are.

That is for sure. The more complicated the item, the more that can go wrong.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

My dishwasher has just started leaking, I may look into a Bosch as a replacement. definitely have to do a bit of shopping around this weekend.

jufers3
    Pro

The problem comes with me is whenever I try to find and buy best home appliances for my home, I usually go and check review. Even after positive reviews of several products I often get wrong product. I don’t know why it happens but I one thing I learned is always try to buy some good reputated brand products, but they cost, and I am not talking about brand which is dominating the market instead go with brands which is quite popular but cheaper one. So, this happens with me lot of time I usually buy expensive and poor quality products.

The problem comes with me is whenever I try to find and buy best home appliances for my home, I usually go and check review. Even after positive reviews of several products I often get wrong product. I don’t know why it happens but I one thing I learned is always try to buy some good reputated brand products, but they cost, and I am not talking about brand which is dominating the market instead go with brands which is quite popular but cheaper one. So, this happens with me lot of time I usually buy expensive and poor quality products.

Not just appliances, but almost everything:

Avoid the budget line for any brand – doubly so if the model exists as a low-priced “exclusive” at a given store

Unless you have money to spare, avoid the flagship line of any brand. They might be better, but it’s often deminishing returns. Think of it as “50$ better for an extra 200$”

Generally, the middle third by price is the sweet spot

Then, when comparing similarly priced models, choose the one with the fewest “bells and whistles” since you are probably paying for “features” over “quality”

And keep in mind whether a couple of hundred bucks might be going to perceived brand quality rather than actual product quality

Doobie

Look to country of origin of either original design, manufacture, and/or assembly.

Most Euro or USA/Japan are typically best on all fronts, but it’s not to say that a company in China is not making good components for an assembled unit somehwere else on the globe.

Myself, I don’t trust China assembled stuff, but that’s not a 100% outright fact that a brand cannot be overseas doing biz with a Chinese company that makes excellent end units. They’re just too few and far between for the most part for me unless you really know and can trust the brand. For me, that’s almost zero!

But home appliances are a mess in my mind. First, the more gizmos for the same price as another brand, is not always, but a good indicator they would be problematic down the road. Samsung is bad for this on appliances, and also confirmed to me by appliance repair guys who have told me that their stuff is always being repaired or needing new motherboards that cost typically half of what the unit they are repairing costs to begin with. Meanwhile, I love my Samsung phones and tablets.

Those old stories/commercials of the lonely Maytag repair guy were excellent for the advertising agency that created them insofar as CLIO awards. Maytags are another known clunky brand. That Maytag guy in the commercials was stationed on Mars. Go figure eh?

I accept that nowadays I hope to get 10 years off most appliances. Set up properly, and not use abused they should last me hopefully longer. Exceptions on this are maybe as I mentioned anything coming out of Germany or certain Euro, USA or Japan made things especially where you can go for 20 years or longer.

Most people don’t know that the largest dishwasher manufacturing plant in the world is a Bosch plant in North Carolina, or so I read some years ago. Go figure eh! But all the super expensive $3K plus Bosch dishwashers still are made in Germany.

No, I have no German affiliation or personal heritage/origins myself other than an astute multi-national user of different brands from differnet countries and what I’ve read and discerned in my own perspective. My ‘turnip truck’ falling off of recognizing what is what on this subject happened to me over many decades.

I could talk to ad nauseum on this subject, but I won’t.

After decades of buying appliances and electronics and tools , I came to a conclusion , obviously for the environment and landfill , I’d rather have items that last a very long time , but unfortunately that doesn’t seem to exist anymore , so I’ll go with average cost for most household appliances , usually get around 9 to 15 years of use obviously depends on what you are using it for and how much you are using it ,

Small example ,
    My wife always liked those cool looking automatic drip coffee makers , she would usually spend easily 100 bucks for a unit , and lucky if we could get 3 to 5 months of use out of them , well we have been buying the B&D ones on sale for around 30 bucks lol they easily last for years , we usually change them after 4 to 5 years just because they just looked bad and cost peanuts to replace.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

We need to buy a washer and dryer for the new place. Not looking for anything fancy. In fact, the less “features” the better for us. All that is required is that we can put a king size comforter in the wash. A big machine in other words. Most likely a Whirlpool or whatever they sell at Home Depot.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

We need to buy a washer and dryer for the new place. Not looking for anything fancy. In fact, the less “features” the better for us. All that is required is that we can put a king size comforter in the wash. A big machine in other words. Most likely a Whirlpool or whatever they sell at Home Depot.

We bought an LG washer that is a top loader than can handle our super padded mattress fitted cover.

The cover is like 2-3 inches of padding for a king mattress. The washer handles it no prob. It is not a bare bones model. We used to have this cover along with others brought on our part to a laundromat and sit there and wash it ourselves for $20 CAD.

I wanted a bare bones simpleton non-motherboard electronically controlled type of unit with just a mechanical dial. Apparently, they just no longer exist. Sigh!

Yeah , I’ll be doing the same when our 10 year old top loader maytag finally bites the dust , I like the fact that it’s a 5 cubic feet or something like that it’s around 5 whatever they called it. Easily fits comforters and so on ,
    We won’t be spending crazy money for washing machines any longer , just not worth it

Good luck with that looking forward to seeing what you guys decide on.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

My sister has LG, she got the same for her daughters. She likes them. Availible at HD.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I think Home Depot sells alot of different brands. We bought a LG washer & dryer 10 years ago. They both have been good. We had 2 issues with washer. Both times it was issue with door lock. The first time repair tech replace the motherboard and year later same problem happened. This time a different repair tech replace the door lock. Both times it was covered under warranty. It has now been 7 years no problems.
    We will be looking for a new stove, dishwasher and fridge for the new place. We have yet to start looking.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

I think Home Depot sells alot of different brands. We bought a LG washer & dryer 10 years ago. They both have been good. We had 2 issues with washer. Both times it was issue with door lock. The first time repair tech replace the motherboard and year later same problem happened. This time a different repair tech replace the door lock. Both times it was covered under warranty. It has now been 7 years no problems.

We will be looking for a new stove, dishwasher and fridge for the new place. We have yet to start looking.

We bought an LG stove , very impressed with it so far , the fridge is LG also it has a ice maker , it’s been 4 years now and it’s been okay , just a few plastic pieces broke , not impressed with that , I looked on line , yikes a side panel that has rollers attached to it for the vegetable/fruit drawer broke , problem is the stem for the roller broke , so I would have to replace the side panel 13? Dollars 🤯 still haven’t gotten around to it

As for the dishwasher , it’s a kitchen aid , love it so far , stainless inside and out , it was around 900 very quiet

Plenty of decent brands out there , lots of different options.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

We bought an LG stove , very impressed with it so far , the fridge is LG also it has a ice maker , it’s been 4 years now and it’s been okay , just a few plastic pieces broke , not impressed with that , I looked on line , yikes a side panel that has rollers attached to it for the vegetable/fruit drawer broke , problem is the stem for the roller broke , so I would have to replace the side panel 13? Dollars 🤯 still haven’t gotten around to it

As for the dishwasher , it’s a kitchen aid , love it so far , stainless inside and out , it was around 900 very quiet

Plenty of decent brands out there , lots of different options.

Yeah there is alot of different brands. I bought White WestingHouse stove 16 years ago. It was pretty much bare bones stove. I think it was $375. I believe it was the cheapest stove they had. It has been a good stove. I just replaced the lower element in the oven. Really happy with purchase.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

We bought a new Samsung stove at Liquidation place on Sunday and today we bought a new Samsung dishwasher and GE fridge at Home Depot. We are happy with our purchases.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

We bought a new Samsung stove

Big name brand now. Congrats on the purchase. If Samsung, what did Sam sing?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.619 seconds