dcsimg

Recommend an appliance brand?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

we have had good luck with Frigidair and Maytag. I would stay with one brand especially if you are looking at stainless, Everyone’s stainless is different.

I have had Bosch appliances in the past and love them, but I an not sure they would stay in your price range. If you could find them in your price range, you can not go wrong. One of the quietest dishwashers out there. In any case, I would go for the Stainless steel inside box for the dishwasher. with the stainless steel lining, they are extremely quiet. You will not be disappointed if you upgrade the dishwasher

Doobie

I have a Amana fridge that is about 9 yrs. old and it is rusting from the inside out. Any idea what’s causing this? It has worked perfect but its starting to look bad. I touch it up but keep getting more places appearing.

Are you near the sea?

Have you tried calling them and asking if they had a recall due to such? You may end up with a new fridge.

And IIRC, isn’t Amana the same manufacturer that makes those high end Sub Zero fridges.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I’m in Ohio and not by any sea. I didn’t call them. Just figure I bought a crap fridge. Its about 9 years old now , I don’t know how long you can expect one to last. Just don’t want to buy another one that rusts out.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Im a Sears Kenmore guy, I have gotten many years of good use with all of mine.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

New energy star ratings are killing compressors and motors. Electronic boards are failing. I think ten years is a stretch, everyone is telling us 5-8 on the good stuff and maybe ten on the REALLY expensive stuff. Crazy.

Yikes! I haven’t had to buy anything since I have been renting. Yikes yikes yikes.

Is there a difference in quality of service (and other things) between distributors for appliances? Any particular distributor that is a favorite?

John S

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

TO ALL.

stay away from GE stacking washer and dryer. P,O,S…

paid $1500 2 years ago. needs agitator seal and bearing $ 665.00

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Sears/kenmore has been good to us in the past as well. But it’s a crap shoot on whether you send the appliance back or if you see a repair man. I’ve had to do both.

I was really surprised by the energy star ratings comment from two independent but higher end appliances stores. Trying to cram more and more fridge/driers with less just makes things run hotter, longer and although more “efficiently” with shorter life.

If I didn’t have such a crappy experience with Bosch tool warranty I would be looking hard at Bosch Benchmark for our stoves, cooktop and microwave. That’s how easy it is to lose a $10K sale on a $600 vacuum.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

KenW
    Pro

I don’t know about brand, but I do know that Best Buy has open box deals that can make a budget more friendly. Sister got a $2500 fridge for $1400 if memory serves me. It was a store display with a scratch on the side. Even talked the manager down an extra $100 from the price.
    We’ve gotten dishwashers, stove and a microvent from Best Buy on open box. Everything has the factory warranty and is eligible for their extended warranty too.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If I didn’t have such a crappy experience with Bosch tool warranty I would be looking hard at Bosch Benchmark for our stoves, cooktop and microwave. That’s how easy it is to lose a $10K sale on a $600 vacuum.

That’s the sad truth when there are competitors offering quality products. Brand loyalty doesn’t go very far when you get burned like that.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Sears/kenmore has been good to us in the past as well. But it’s a crap shoot on whether you send the appliance back or if you see a repair man. I’ve had to do both.

I was really surprised by the energy star ratings comment from two independent but higher end appliances stores. Trying to cram more and more fridge/driers with less just makes things run hotter, longer and although more “efficiently” with shorter life.

I agree Brad , That is why I am never going to purchase another
    Amana appliance product as long as I live, just was a total turn off dealing with the customer service center. And they really did not give a you know what, so as far as I am concerned no help in service , no recommendation and no more of that product in my home.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve had good luck with kenmore and bosch appliances.

I keep seeing Bosch appliances online but I have never ever seen any of them in stores .I don’t even know if they are available here in Canada .

Bosch is sold over here. I see the new Bosch appliances in the new finished homes.

redwood
    Pro

Kenmore was the standard for years . Then Home Depot and lowes came pushin other brands really forceing growth in different makes and models in my opinion for the market besides Sears and local appliance store .

Kenmore was never it’s own product. Different manufacturers made their products for Kenmore.

Appliances are now like power tools, they are not made with longevity in mind. The old days where appliances routinely lasted 20 years is long gone.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

Kenmore was the standard for years . Then Home Depot and lowes came pushin other brands really forceing growth in different makes and models in my opinion for the market besides Sears and local appliance store .

Kenmore was never it’s own product. Different manufacturers made their products for Kenmore.

Appliances are now like power tools, they are not made with longevity in mind. The old days where appliances routinely lasted 20 years is long gone.

Ditto on that big time.

Samsung is a name that I heard is very problematic. Then again, Maytag was another one that despite their clever advertising was a load of bullocks and was also POS stuff. Even the semi-dubious agancy Consumer Reports kept reporting such over many years in my recollection.

Here’s something I try to do in the foray of the sales plethora when it came to appliances, go talk to the source of reliable experience with repairs. Try to talk to appliance repair places and ask them who are the the main brands they repair. It’s an internet search of local places that do appliance repairs in your neck of the woods, and a quick conversation with what you hope is the right person to talk to, and hopefully you can connect with some informed individuals and can get an idea of who is constantly on their service list and who is rarely. Hang up and call back doing this tactic if “Becky Sue” answers the phone. (Unless Becky Sue happens to know her stuff.lol)

I suggest this as manufacturers have differently comprised units insofar as their components from one region or country to the next one. Meaning, that I may have a great XYZ company products in my area/country, but in another country/region, XYZ build them with different parts and such and it is totally different. Yes, they do this, and all to frequent, and by intent.

Think about it. It is a very unregulated activity to most extent making appliances and we have varying levels of many facets in appliance usage and what is the norm from one country to another insofar as all the elements that deal with such and which brands you are competing against in a given market. There’s a lot of other factors that steer their efforts in this regard, and if you were working in such a company and running the show and needed to ‘make more profits’ you would do the same. It’s just the way things work basically.

They have a multitude of different variables based on all sorts of different factors, they just do what they have to do to get an incremental amount of more profit and sit on their hands til they’re compelled to do otherwise which they usually have already developed half a dozen different plans to do such at a moments notice depending on what direction they decide to take based on another set of what may be sudden variables for what ever rerason. The list is endless as to where they go.

Manufacturers play on this more than you would think. They prey on this. I took marketing in college decades ago, and although I never went into that field, this to me is how I discern it now based on my knowledge and experience. FWIW.

Enough of my semi rantin’

One thing I did pick up quite clearly doing such talking to repair guys, and by no means is this 100%, stay away from front end load washers. They’re not worth it and have huge incidences of being problematic or outright failing long before their reasonable times. If its not the gasketing that causes leaks or mildew issues, its the electronics. Big price tag fixes, and some of them are repetitive issues sucking money out of you. It is basically a fad, OR they’ve baited us for better units later on.

There is a sucker component in wanting to repair something that is so innovative and beautiful to the the wife who can’t fathom replacing the washer with something that doesn’t match the dryer that still works just fine, you end up a slave to the combo.

Come on, when do you invite your friends for a brewskie to your laundry room? People lose sight that these are utilitarian machines. The industry is trying to make them fashion statements and in so doing are pulling/suckering the masses into having a ‘chic’ laundry room.

The simpler and basic the machine, the better it is basically and what I’ve surmised out of all the info and experiences that have been shared with me in regards to appliances. Have your brewskies elsewhere basically and keep your laundry room a laundry room.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The simpler and basic the machine, the better it is basically

I agree with that 100%. Why buy complicated, that is just more stuff to fail.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

I don’t know much about appliances, but I have heard that simple is better. More features = more to break. And that was coming from a repair man.

Simple is better. My wife keeps on buying fancy coffee makers. From Scrappy Tire (Canadian Tire). They seem to last about 2 to 3 months before they give up. I always keep the old reliable cheap black and Decker around, cost 25$ on special and has lasted 3.5 years so far and still going strong.

So yeah sometime simple is better

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

When we built our house 20 years ago, I did some research on brands. At that time, the best bang for our buck was:

Fridgidaire refrigerator
    Whirlpool washer and dryer
    Tappan gas range
    We got a free dishwasher, so I did not research that

After 20 years, only the washer was replaced, and that was 3 years ago.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Bosch is sold over here. I see the new Bosch appliances in the new finished homes.

Now I can add to this by saying that Bosch appliances are sold at my local Lowes. What do ya think about that??

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Now I can add to this by saying that Bosch appliances are sold at my local Lowes. What do ya think about that??

Good deal, I’ll check my local Lowes to see if we have them too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Good deal, I’ll check my local Lowes to see if we have them too.

I could see that Samsung was a huge contender in Lowes.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.532 seconds