dcsimg

Recommend an appliance brand?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 78 total)
  • Author

About to buy some new appliances for my house to replace old ones. The budget is under $2000 for fridge, under $1000 for the range, and around $500-700 each for washer/dryer. So far it seems like Samsung and Kitchenaid are the best for this price range for the kitchen appliances, although the Kitchenaid stoves are a little over budget. And Samsung and GE seem like the best bets for the washer/dryer. I was trying to keep a consistent brand through the kitchen appliances (dishwasher will be replaced next year), but the washer/dryer brand can be different.

I thought some of you would have good feedback either from your own homes or what you put into customer’s homes when remodeling. Thanks in advance!

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

don’t get caught up on staying with a single brand. We are going through this right now and all the appliances are so closely matched I personally don’t think it matters.

Samsung has some really neat options these day. Maybe too many that go to the “gadget” side of things. JennAir just released a stove that is fully tablet ready…

It’s a amazing how many brands actually cross over. It’s only a handful of manufactures making all these products.

All I know for certain is that Bosch and Miele make some of the best dishwashers. The more money, the quieter they get (generally for the bosch) We are going for a Bosch.

Other then that it comes down to the features you want and the price you want to pay. Bottom freezer, ice maker, water dispenser etc. Then find out where/who does the service.

We are going for a full fridge and full freezer side by side combo from Electrolux

On the stove, I would drop the budget on the fridge and up the budget on the stove. We love to cook and find better stoves have better controls, better ovens etc. And we use it EVERYDAY. It’s the one appliance in our house that will not have a budget constraint on it.

reading back, kinda vague. But I don’t think you can just blanket a statement like “XXXX makes the best appliances” just like you can’t say XXX makes the best tools”

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Thanks @thedude306, maybe I was thinking I needed to stay with one brand too much. I know you can’t really say XXXX is the best appliance or tool, but am just looking for any thoughts on reliability or features, so your advice is great. Thanks.

With all the options out there I would think budget plays a big part in appliances model and brand .

Always willing to learn .

I’ve had my Fridgidaire side by side refrigerator and glass top 7 burner convection oven. They are really good machines and I’ve had them for coming up on five years. My washer is GE and dryer is Whirlpool. My dishwasher is a very loud and OLD Whirlpool. But the dishwasher works great. I’ve had my house for thirteen years and I think the dishwasher was maybe two years old when I bought the house.

About to buy some new appliances for my house to replace old ones. The budget is under $2000 for fridge, under $1000 for the range, and around $500-700 each for washer/dryer. So far it seems like Samsung and Kitchenaid are the best for this price range for the kitchen appliances, although the Kitchenaid stoves are a little over budget. And Samsung and GE seem like the best bets for the washer/dryer. I was trying to keep a consistent brand through the kitchen appliances (dishwasher will be replaced next year), but the washer/dryer brand can be different.

I thought some of you would have good feedback either from your own homes or what you put into customer’s homes when remodeling. Thanks in advance!

Hello , We just changed some appliances also. We had originally stuck to one make , bad choice, even worse was the client call service we had from the brand Amana , I would never buy another one of their products.

We just bought a L G for the fridge, its the standard freezer bottom and fridge on the top, with the optional ice maker , I hooked it up.

My wife had done a lot of research on the fridge it is the only manufacture that has a 10 year compressor warranty, it has been a year with the fridge it is a 23.?? cube foot. I can get you the model # if need . It was bought at the sears liquidation warehouse, it is a brand new fridge. also it works great. we love it.

and the stove was just changed it is a L G also, once again the wife did research on it and it was highly rated,
    that was bought at Home Depot, they had a great deal on it, it also was new.

the dishwasher was an old Samsung that came with this house , wife thought it needed replacing, so she is the boss, this is a Kitchen aid, and this is also brand new we have had it for about 1 and a half years. works great, it was bought at a smaller appliance specialty store.

If you need part numbers or prices I will gladly find them for you, good luck on your search.

The fridge was around 1200. and the range was around 900. the dishwasher was about 850.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I’ve had good luck with kenmore and bosch appliances.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

i havent bought many appliances, Picked up some cheapies last year. While not loaded with features No issues as of yet. The amana stove isnt the most highly rated but has a good warrantee

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Here is what I learned about kitchenaid appliances. Their bigger appliances are not made by the same company as their smaller appliances they are manufactured by whirlpool I think it was. Now I love my small counter top kitchenaid appliances but it definitely made me think twice about buying a larger appliance. Nothing against whirlpool

Whirlpool owns Kitchenaid and Maytag, so all 3 products technically are made by the same company. But if the Kitchenaid engineers are using better quality components or better testing before releasing the product, maybe the end results are not the same as them just sticking different labels on the same appliances inside.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I sounds like you’ve gotten recommendations for each of the popular brands out there… Which I would expect.

I don’t have a specific brand to recommend, as most all national brands should be reputable.

I would stay away from models in the bottom third of the process range in any given brand. The only appliances I’ve had bad luck with were the cheapest of the cheap. Believe me, they are junk throughout.

Also,consider a warranty on them. This should help alleviate any concerns about durability.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I was considering the warranty. Lowes has an extended warranty for 5 years for $96 each when you buy more than one appliance together. Seems like a small price for peace of mind. Especially with all the circuit boards and computers inside devices now. I fixed my parent’s washer multiple times to avoid service calls, but that was all relays and switches that I could debug and replace with my multimeter. The new ones where everything is one one control board costing hundreds of dollars annoys me since I like being able to fix things myself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Appliances have grown as a market so much that it is difficult to know what is good or not. If you deal with them a lot you probably already know what to look for. If not it pays to do your research because you may have your major appliance a long time.

Doobie

We bought a GE french door fridge about a year and a half ago and just love it. Even though it has the same cubic size as our old one, it is way better laid out and we fit stuff so much better in it.

A few months ago we replaced our very old and basic electric stove with a GE gas stove. The old one still worked and was in great shape, we just wanted to go with gas. Very happy with it and the convection oven bakes and cooks so much better.

One of the things you’d hear if you speak to appliance repair guys is the more electronics, the more you’re apt to have issues. The other sad thing is that they say that the way they make most appliances, anything beyond ten years of regular use nowadays, you are in your gravy years.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Almost all of my Kenmore stuff lasts at least 20 years. Always had good luck with them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Bill, you’re lucky that you haven’t bought appliances recently.

New energy star ratings are killing compressors and motors. Electronic boards are failing. I think ten years is a stretch, everyone is telling us 5-8 on the good stuff and maybe ten on the REALLY expensive stuff. Crazy.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I keep seeing Bosch appliances online but I have never ever seen any of them in stores .I don’t even know if they are available here in Canada .

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have a Amana fridge that is about 9 yrs. old and it is rusting from the inside out. Any idea what’s causing this? It has worked perfect but its starting to look bad. I touch it up but keep getting more places appearing.

Bill, you’re lucky that you haven’t bought appliances recently.

New energy star ratings are killing compressors and motors. Electronic boards are failing. I think ten years is a stretch, everyone is telling us 5-8 on the good stuff and maybe ten on the REALLY expensive stuff. Crazy.

You may be right on that Brad.

We had our 9.5 years old Amana compressor fail on us.
    First it stopped working at night, it was in good shape, so we had the repair man come in, mother board, plus visit 419$ later. After that it stopped 4 months later, this time it was the compressor.

So you could be right.

@crotalusco
    , your right about the rating on the Amana
    Had it for 15 months and then the burners started to fail.
    It only came with a 1 year warranty,

When I called the service center, they were no help at all. Regardless that all our other appliances were all Amana.

That is one reason why I will never purchase another Amana product

I know that the warranty was over, but at the time I was single and very rarely used the stove. Plus it was only 3 months after the warranty,

Kenmore was the standard for years . Then Home Depot and lowes came pushin other brands really forceing growth in different makes and models in my opinion for the market besides Sears and local appliance store .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.474 seconds