dcsimg

Reclaimed Hardware/Coat Hooks

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I found these coat hooks in one of my Grandfather’s tool box. I will use these hooks for a project someday. I just need to find the perfect board.

Attachments:

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I found these coat hooks in one of my Grandfather’s tool box. I will use these hooks for a project someday. I just need to find the perfect board.

Good old coat hooks are really worth saving. New ones are garbage unless you want to spend a fortune. I save every one I can find.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Good old coat hooks are really worth saving. New ones are garbage unless you want to spend a fortune. I save every one I can find.

These are good ones for sure. I have bought those new ones that are garbage. I wish I knew where these came from.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

They look like wrought iron. Nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

wrought iron.

I am not sure if there are not. They are pretty heavy for the size of them.

Greg

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Nice find, even more special is that they came from your grandfather’s tool box.
    Definitely will make a nice project,

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

id like to know how old they are ?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Here’s a bit of useless trivia….from my limited knowledge of “hooks” The short ones, which appears to be what you have, are cast iron. Those are not really coat hooks, coat hooks are longer with a little more room between the hooks. Those short ones are called “harness hooks” and also sometimes called “barn hooks” or “tack hooks”. And the style of your hooks are “acorn hooks”… the tips look like inverted acorns.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

the tips look like inverted acorns.

Never noticed that before.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Nice find, even more special is that they came from your grandfather’s tool box.

It is a nice find. I just remember that the tool box was my Grandfather’s brothers and was given to my Grandpa when is brother passed away. I am not sure what was in was Grandpa or is brother’s.

Your right it will make a nice project for sure.

That would be nice to know. But I have know idea.

Here’s a bit of useless trivia….from my limited knowledge of “hooks” The short ones, which appears to be what you have, are cast iron. Those are not really coat hooks, coat hooks are longer with a little more room between the hooks. Those short ones are called “harness hooks” and also sometimes called “barn hooks” or “tack hooks”. And the style of your hooks are “acorn hooks”… the tips look like inverted acorns.

@sprokitz I don’t think this useless trivia. It makes some more sense to me now. I would say that these hooks belonged to my Great Uncle. My Grandpa’s brother had a love for horses as did my Grandpa. My uncle always had riding horses. So these hooks could have been his tack room or barn. This help me clear up where they came from. Thanks very much

Greg

It is a nice find. I just remember that the tool box was my Grandfather’s brothers and was given to my Grandpa when is brother passed away. I am not sure what was in was Grandpa or is brother’s.

@sprokitz I don’t think this useless trivia. It makes some more sense to me now. I would say that these hooks belonged to my Great Uncle. My Grandpa’s brother had a love for horses as did my Grandpa. My uncle always had riding horses. So these hooks could have been his tack room or barn. This help me clear up where they came from. Thanks very much

I bought some curved whiskey staves at Rockler two weeks ago to make a curved coat rack with an arched curved shelf for my Wife. She has a horse and has ridden her entire life along with almost making it into the Olympics, she broke her back when she was training with the team. I digress, I never thought much about the actual hangers till I just read this, awesome idea. I will check out some local antique shops, lots of horsey people here in Farmington. Can’t wait to see this project!

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I bought some curved whiskey staves at Rockler two weeks ago to make a curved coat rack with an arched curved shelf for my Wife. She has a horse and has ridden her entire life along with almost making it into the Olympics, she broke her back when she was training with the team. I digress, I never thought much about the actual hangers till I just read this, awesome idea. I will check out some local antique shops, lots of horsey people here in Farmington. Can’t wait to see this project!

Good luck with your search for hooks. I am still waiting to find that perfect board mine. I am still undecided how I want to make it.

Greg

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Good luck with your search for hooks. I am still waiting to find that perfect board mine. I am still undecided how I want to make it

Good luck with the projects. Let me say, the only reason I know what little I know about hooks is I was searching for some antique reproduction hardware for a project and stumbled on a site that had 100’s of different style hooks. That’s where I learned the difference between barn/tack hooks and those made for coats/hats “school house hooks” Anyway I looked for that site for you guys but couldn’t find it. If you search “rustic cast iron hooks” on Amazon, you can find a decent selection of repro hooks

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Very nice vintage hooks Greg. I have a vintage 1930’s coat rack that has a broken one that I’ve never been able to find a replacement for. About 25 years ago a friend of mine at the time brought me to one of his sources for antique parts and such to find its exact replacement, but we didn’t have any luck. The prices they want for hooks like that was nuts too. Never did resume my search for one. I just look at it now as adding ‘character’ to the piece instead. Lol!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Very nice vintage hooks Greg. I have a vintage 1930’s coat rack that has a broken one that I’ve never been able to find a replacement for. About 25 years ago a friend of mine at the time brought me to one of his sources for antique parts and such to find its exact replacement, but we didn’t have any luck. The prices they want for hooks like that was nuts too. Never did resume my search for one. I just look at it now as adding ‘character’ to the piece instead. Lol!

Thanks Kevin. That is a nice coat rack. That is too bad you can’t find a replacement hook. I guess it is like looking for a needle in haystack. I am sure the prices are crazy. Have you thought of maybe welding it or even try JB Weld. I do agree it does add character. Maybe one day you will find a hook.

Greg

I anyone wants to do a project like that, a company called Renovator’s Supply has all kinds of that old style hardware: https://www.rensup.com/

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Those look just like the ones I used a couple of years ago for my front hall coat rack project. Shouldn’t be too hard to find; I’ll keep an eye out for you.

Attachments:

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I anyone wants to do a project like that, a company called Renovator’s Supply has all kinds of that old style hardware: https://www.rensup.com/

Thanks for the link Lon. I had forgotten about this place. We got a sales flyer or three every year form them at the cabinet shop.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Thanks Kevin. That is a nice coat rack. That is too bad you can’t find a replacement hook. I guess it is like looking for a needle in haystack. I am sure the prices are crazy. Have you thought of maybe welding it or even try JB Weld. I do agree it does add character. Maybe one day you will find a hook.

I never had the broken off piece. I acquired it that way. Paid $30 for the rack from a client who was selling it.

Those look just like the ones I used a couple of years ago for my front hall coat rack project. Shouldn’t be too hard to find; I’ll keep an eye out for you.

That one is not quite the same nor does it have the aged patina that is needed. Wouldn’t look right unless I replaced all of them.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I never had the broken off piece. I acquired it that way. Paid $30 for the rack from a client who was selling it.

That one is not quite the same nor does it have the aged patina that is needed. Wouldn’t look right unless I replaced all of them.

Since you bought it that way. I would just leave unless find a matching hook some day.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.125 seconds