dcsimg

Ratchet straps in back of truck not good!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

With our stage equipment we normally have a open spot to tie the loose ends back to the taut line but will be thinking of this thread next time we are loading, that’s for sure.

A Working Pro since 2004

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

When I had my pickup, straps were always in the back and I have never had a problem.

I did see a flatbed truck with a loose strap literally pull the rear axle out on one side with its own strap that was dangling off the side. It wrapped itself just on the inside of one tire until it had no more slack.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Don’t make the same mistake as me.

Straps always get rolled up and stored in the cab, not in the bed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow another one, I’m beginning to believe the space between the box and the cab developes a vacuum at high speeds

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I can see we could have a run at the surplus stores now. Everyone will want to buy an ammo box to bolt into the bed of their truck for strap storage.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I am kind of thinking it may be a good idea to fill that gap between the bed and cab with something to prevent this sort of thing? Maybe something like one of those foam noodles the kids play with in the pool?

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I had a rachet strap let loose while towing my boat this summer. I caught it pretty quick but the hook had already got ripped off dragging across the pavement at 65 miles and hour and the excess strap was trying to make its way to the axle to wrap around but I pulled over quick enough to avoid it. Luckily it got caught on the roller on the trailer for the boat.
    The straps are a great tool but can be dangerous.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Wow another one, I’m beginning to believe the space between the box and the cab developes a vacuum at high speeds

The incident that I witnessed, the strap was hanging of the side of the stake bed. It was not between the cab and bad.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Chance of it actually happen is probably extremely rare, but hey, people actually win lotteries.

Still, it seems leaving anything loose there is not a good idea, even just for the fact if you got into an accident they will all be flying, and probably into your cab.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I did see a flatbed truck with a loose strap literally pull the rear axle out on one side with its own strap that was dangling off the side. It wrapped itself just on the inside of one tire until it had no more slack.

That’s one heck of a strong strap to do something like that. I’m glad I’ve never been close to something like that happening. It can be scary enough when a Semi blows a tire on the highway!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have never trusted ratchet straps and probably never will. I hate using them .

Ogt92
    Pro
    San Antonio, TX

“Straps always get rolled up and stored in the cab, not in the bed.”

I actually have a tool bag sitting on my rear seat for the only purpose of holding my tie downs, bungee cords, etc. This paticular day I was just lazy asnd didnt roll it up and store it.

“Wow another one, I’m beginning to believe the space between the box and the cab developes a vacuum at high speeds”

I think you are absolutely right about the bed creating a vacuum that pulls the end of the strap up.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

My ratchet straps get beat up in the back of the truck. Its a shame you cant just buy replacement ratchets. When I say beat up I mean bent up. I make sure I take all of these out before snow storms too.

I have taken them apart, placed the pieces in a vise to flat them. Straight parts no problem but trying to replicate a factory bend or similar is tough. There is a very low tolerance and these things will jam or operate lousy.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

“Straps always get rolled up and stored in the cab, not in the bed.”

I roll mine and store in a box too.

yellaD
    Pro

I keep mine in a bad in the bed, not good from what I’ve read. I actually hate using them cuz mine are too long and therefore a PITA for everyday use. I’m interested in LV’s line of zip straps…

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I never imagined that a ratchet strap can do some severe damage to a truck.
    I hope everything gets sorted out with the insurance @Ogt92.
    My Straps are stored in the cab.
    When I use my straps I make sure the ends are secured or tied down to something that they dont flap around or get loose.

Reading about those incidents, did anybody thought about getting “Retractable Ratchet Tie Down Straps”
    They cost more but maybe save you some money and time in the long run.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

A couple of years ago, I had my trailer loaded with material for a kitchen reno, insulation jip and some lumber and so on , I had it all tied down with my ratchet straps, the loose ends were also tied in, but for some reason driving the end came loose, it got all chewed up and somehow ripped a couple of feet off the strap, luckily it could have been worse.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Reading about those incidents, did anybody thought about getting “Retractable Ratchet Tie Down Straps”

Those are nice, I have set on my tow truck that I use. Got tired of securing of running ends.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ve been looking for better ratchet straps, the ones I get from canadian tire aren’t very good. Anybody have experience with this brand? It seems like a really good brand and well thought out.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I’ve been looking for better ratchet straps, the ones I get from canadian tire aren’t very good. Anybody have experience with this brand? It seems like a really good brand and well thought out.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/YMLs_MUYzeg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

thats the brand i would get. european company – Wessel quickloader.

is there a ratchet, tie down, strap etc thread?! the search option never works out for me. maybe we can take it over there or open a new one.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.473 seconds