dcsimg

Ratchet straps in back of truck not good!

This topic contains 68 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • Author

msw1978
    Pro
    Vienna, MO

I was reminded of this today and thought I would share it. I was at our local Dodge dealership a while back and one of the employees told me of a guy who was about to have something like 6 thousand dollars of work done because of a simple mistake.
    He had thrown his ratchet strap in the bed of the truck and headed of down the highway. Somehow the strap got sucked between the bed and cab and got caught in the driveshaft. Well, it got wrapped around and ended up ripping the bed, smashing the window, and damaging the drive shaft and some more damage.
    I used to just toss straps in the back and go as well, not anymore.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

That is such a crazy story.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I have the strap attached to my racks.

redwood
    Pro

That’s pretty crazy. I keep a couple straps in my bed, but they would have to jump out, to get between the cab and the bed.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

Wow, that was disastrous!
    Reminds me of when my ex-boyfriend towed my truck using a heavy duty strap. When we turned a corner, the strap somehow got wrapped up in the tie-rod and bent it. I used to think that was bad, but after reading this story, I got off easy.

Pat

That’s pretty crazy. I keep a couple straps in my bed, but they would have to jump out, to get between the cab and the bed.

I’ve done this with my buddy’s truck and have never been concerned about this sort of thing ever happening… i suppose it would be better to throw the ratchet straps into the front seats with me, but I am also guessing the odds of this sort of thing happening again are pretty low?

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man that is weird. If it can happen I’m sure it can. I always store the straps behind the seat.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

this is just insane. I throw straps in the back of my truck all the time. And quicky tie downs. Never would have thought of this. Must have been a freak accident.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I can’t imagine what that would have been like driving down the road and have that happen. It would have scared at first and then that sinking feeling would have sunk in knowing it was going to cost me. Insurance would have helped.

redwood
    Pro

I can’t imagine what that would have been like driving down the road and have that happen. It would have scared at first and then that sinking feeling would have sunk in knowing it was going to cost me. Insurance would have helped.

I would think that this might me a insurable problem, sort of like a road hazzard.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Anonymous

Wowwy, What a freak thing to happen. I always roll them up in an open truck but mine has a topper so I don’t worry about it, On my open trailer I always hook them to the tie downs and tighten them up anyway. Just so I don’t lose any. And I always tie up the loose ends so they don’t flap around in the wind

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I always have then in the back of my truck. They do blow around a little. I would guess one was hanging over the front somehow. I will watch this in the future.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

That sounds like a crazy freak happening. Keep those ratchet straps under control!

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

woodman_412

Wow, I would never have thought something like that would happen. I have a tonneau cover on my truck so everything stays under wraps but the thought has crossed my mind when I’m driving with the tailgate down when I have a load of something. I usually tie up the lose end of the strap so that it doesn’t end up flapping around and getting caught on something.

Dan

danpattison.com

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Ouch, my spare holder got in a fight with me and I won a while back, ever since I’ve had the spare strapped in the back. I might have to make sure it’s still tight, that’s pretty crazy. Those HD straps are rated for a lot so I could see it doing a lot of damage and not snapping.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Now I’m glad I throw them in the bed box. Nuts what can happen given the right situation.

So I found this thread cause I googled what just happened to me. Looks like I got off lucky!

So my ladder was strapped to ky brand new (to me) 2011 tundra

I had excess strap hanging loose cause the wind loostened the knot tying up the excess strap. But it was blowing in tge wind and it wasnt that long.

Anyway. It got between the bed and box and I thought, great. Now its not bucking in the wind….

Not great.
    It got sucked into the 2 piece driveshaft at the hanger bearing and slip yolk.

Fortunately the ratchet let go, and it didnt suck in. It just melted and got all inside the yolk.

Thank god it didnt wreck my truck. Just lots of melted strap.

Terrifying. FYI

I keep mine in my crossbed box.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

So I found this thread cause I googled what just happened to me. Looks like I got off lucky!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the way you found us though.

Some of the smaller straps can be picked up by the wind. They don’t need to jump out per say, I think the aero dynamics can suck things up under the truck.

I had this happen to me and it made an awful noise. I pulled over and looked under and the strap was all wound around my driveshaft. Luckily no damage. They all go in the box now. I don’t know that this would happen the same way with the heavier, heavy duty straps.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.345 seconds