dcsimg

RANT of the DAY

Viewing 11 posts - 1,001 through 1,011 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Wife calls out from the basement in that tone that makes your ears prick up this morning “Kevin….you need to come here”. Go downstairs to discover about half a cup worth of water in a small pool at the bottom of the basement stairs.

After investigation, I figured it was a roof leaf where the lower section roof of our side split meets the exterior wall of the higher portion of the house. The bottom of the stairs in the basement is directly below this divide of our house.

Roof was done in ’09 and has a 12 year ‘workmanship’ warranty. Placed a call to the roofing company and left a voicemail message. I’ll patiently await a callback at this point. Got a feeling they are off for the season, so it may not happen right away, and that’s probably fine.

Wife was in a bit of a panic, but I more or less figured out what may have happened. Yesterday and overnite we had that Texas storm system roll thru our way. It dumped about 5-6 inches of snow and then transitioned to ice then rain. The thing is, it was coming from the opposite direction from where 90 plus percent of our foul weather hits us from. So if the caulking/flashing had a breach in it, it may have in fact been like that for a while. And with the rain hitting us sideways right where that juncture is, sitting full of snow and then getting laden with rain, it caused what was a one-off amount of water to seep into the house.

I didn’t go into the attic yet, but I will go tomorrow likely to see further how bad it may be up there. I may have been leaking in little dribbly amounts for some time and only with the freak conditions of the past 24 hours did we see some real leakage from wherever the breach is. There’s a little ceiling damage at the stair tunnels at the joints, which I’ll see if it mostly dries up on its own.

Bit of a bummer, but it is what it is. Wish I had another rant instead of this one.

EDIT:

Is most training a CYA for them or supposed to be real learning for you.

Meant to ask you @Siberian, what’s CYA stand for. Can’t figure out what those acronyms might stand for.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

@Doobie if you had that much snow and then rain it may have just got over the flashing. I have seen that happen before.
    May have been a freak thing that never happens again.

Doobie

@Doobie if you had that much snow and then rain it may have just got over the flashing. I have seen that happen before.
    May have been a freak thing that never happens again.

Never thought of that. I’m going into the attic tomorrow to investigate further. Too sore and tired today.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I hate people who don’t use their turn signals.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Seems like some cars didn’t come with that option @Warren6810.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Siberian wrote:
    Meant to ask you @Siberian, what’s CYA stand for. Can’t figure out what those acronyms might stand for.

Not sure what Ed meant but I read “cover your ass”

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I just go nuts watching the plow truck driving down the road laying salt with the blade up. Yes i know its not much show but it still should be pushed to the side. The idea of melting 3 inches of now with salt is (*&^#%###$#*(

Siberian wrote:

Not sure what Ed meant but I read “cover your ass”

Thats what it is.

Doobie

Threads broken. Time for ROTD II.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Threads broken. Time for ROTD II.

It’s @yellaD thread.. Yella it’s time to open a new V2.0 RANT of the DAY as this one is broken. Yes it’s is broken.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

yellaD
    Pro

@chadm, can you close this thread? It’s BROKEN. thanks.

Here’s the link to the new one
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/rant-of-the-day-vol-2/

Viewing 11 posts - 1,001 through 1,011 (of 1,011 total)
  • The topic ‘RANT of the DAY’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.941 seconds