dcsimg

RANT of the DAY

Viewing 20 posts - 961 through 980 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author
    Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Since I retired and moved, my sleep has improved tremendously. I’m sure stress has a lot to do with those things. I was at a point that I didn’t even want to go to bed. If I was lucky I got 5-6 hours of restless sleep. Woke up constantly. I’d get up and you could shoot me and I would probably feel better.

Fast forward and now I regularly get 7 hours sleep, much less waking up and I feel a ton better in the morning then I used to. Not perfect, but night and day compared to before.

I still long for the days of my youth when I slept 9-10 hours of perfect sleep.

I am sure that my sleep deprivation is stress related as well. Still at least 10 years away from any sort of retirement though. The Christmas break has been a great time to catch up on sleep and naps. Tomorrow we get back to the grind.

Regarding sleep, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Basically your jaw and tongue relax and wind up blocking your airway – you kind of wake up but not wide awake. This results in a very restless sleep. What a difference after getting a CPAP machine which uses air pressure to keep the airway open. Great sleep now whereas I was always tired before.

Since I retired and moved, my sleep has improved tremendously. I’m sure stress has a lot to do with those things. I was at a point that I didn’t even want to go to bed. If I was lucky I got 5-6 hours of restless sleep. Woke up constantly. I’d get up and you could shoot me and I would probably feel better.

Fast forward and now I regularly get 7 hours sleep, much less waking up and I feel a ton better in the morning then I used to. Not perfect, but night and day compared to before.

Glad things are that much better Mark. My cousin had a job with one of the largest plumbing company’s around. He did a lot of commercial bids after years in the field. He retired at 50 or coupe yrs over. Since then he has lost weight, blood pressure down, sleeping well. Amazing what work will do to a person

Glad things are that much better Mark. My cousin had a job with one of the largest plumbing company’s around. He did a lot of commercial bids after years in the field. He retired at 50 or coupe yrs over. Since then he has lost weight, blood pressure down, sleeping well. Amazing what work will do to a person

and besides 7 hrs at your age is like 9 when you were young. This point of life we can’t afford to sleep through to much of the day

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Regarding sleep, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Basically your jaw and tongue relax and wind up blocking your airway – you kind of wake up but not wide awake. This results in a very restless sleep. What a difference after getting a CPAP machine which uses air pressure to keep the airway open. Great sleep now whereas I was always tired before.

I went in for a sleep study and they results said sleep apnea isn’t my problem. Usually takes me 2 or 3 hours to fall asleep then I usually sleep between 45 minutes and 2 hours, then awake for a half hour to an hour, then repeat that the rest of the night.

Like Mark said, I am sure that some of it is stress related. Some of it is also my shoulder – it aches when I lay down and if I roll over onto it then it wakes me up pretty quick.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Some of it is also my shoulder – it aches when I lay down and if I roll over onto it then it wakes me up pretty quick.

Try some yoga and the Thai massage lady,,, oh they are the bast!!!

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

ahh thats no good chad. Good luck sleeping with the mask.

I dont sleep much myself mostly its shutting the brain off “adhd” but the “RA” doesnt help either. I am happy when i get a good 5 hrs. Speaking of which i should go lay down now and try to get that 5 hrs — night

redwood
    Pro

. Some of it is also my shoulder – it aches when I lay down and if I roll over onto it then it wakes me up pretty quick.

Well that was part of my problem, as well. Shoulder and hips. If I stayed in one position too long, I’d wake up in pain. I guess my brain was too stupid to keep moving while I was asleep.

The only thing really bothering me now is my right hip and even it is not as bad as before. Maybe it’s the altitude.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

Chad. I feel for ya. That sounds like a rough go with your sleep and also the added complication with the shoulder. Are you resigned to this, or are you still working on getting some resolution?

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Chad. I feel for ya. That sounds like a rough go with your sleep and also the added complication with the shoulder. Are you resigned to this, or are you still working on getting some resolution?

The doctor said that about the only thing that can be done for my shoulder is a replacement because the shoulder is bone to bone with a fair amount of damage to the humeral head and the shoulder socket. To complicate things my rotator cuff is not fully functional either. The biggest reason I am putting off the surgery (besides finding a way to pay for it lol) is that I wouldn’t be able to work for 3 to 5 months depending on how quickly I would progress through physical therapy…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

and the Thai massage lady,

I have to second the massage therapy on the shoulder. If find someone that knows what they are doing it can really help.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

The doctor said that about the only thing that can be done for my shoulder is a replacement because the shoulder is bone to bone with a fair amount of damage to the humeral head and the shoulder socket. To complicate things my rotator cuff is not fully functional either. The biggest reason I am putting off the surgery (besides finding a way to pay for it lol) is that I wouldn’t be able to work for 3 to 5 months depending on how quickly I would progress through physical therapy…

Shoulder surgery is not something to jump into that’s for sure. It can be good or come out bad. I have seen a few men that it has ruined. Cant lift there arm’s above chest height now.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

58Chev I hope you can find some relief. OTC sleep aids scare me, so please be careful if you try those.

ThanX, Not sure what to do. Today was no different up at 2AM for a bit, then up again at 5AM. Finally crawled out of bed by 5:45.
    Back to regular routine tomorrow with work.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Not sure how it works in the US, in Ontario if a doc decides you need a CPAP machine, you need to stick to using it and bring in the sdcard with the results. They have the ability to send results or lack of to the DMV have your license revoked.
    I have a few friends that have had this happen to.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

58Chev I hope you can find some relief. OTC sleep aids scare me, so please be careful if you try those.

ThanX, Not sure what to do. Today was no different up at 2AM for a bit, then up again at 5AM. Finally crawled out of bed by 5:45.

maybe and don’t kill me for suggesting it. It’s time to start working out, do an hour of work out and get all tired for sleep and have extra energy for the next day. I find I have been sleeping better when I’ve done an hour or so of extra muscle movement

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Rain in December…

Seriously, it needs to stop. It’s been raining for a week and we still have a few days of it.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

Shoulder surgery is not something to jump into that’s for sure. It can be good or come out bad. I have seen a few men that it has ruined. Cant lift there arm’s above chest height now.

Well that is true, but I couldn’t lift my arm above my chest before surgery.

I had shoulder surgery back in the stone age days (before arthroscopic) , put it off for a couple of years. I couldn’t even begin physical therapy for like 3 mos. and it was really almost a year before I could pretty much do everything again. My other shoulder has shown symptoms of needing something done, but I’ll just wait, as it seems to be a lot better since I retired.

Now my lead guy had 3 shoulder surgeries in 2 years and is still not right. He actually needs to have another one.

I have no idea what replacing a shoulder involves, can’t be good though. I was lucky that during my rehab we were on a very large project that I only needed to manage, not physically work on. Bad part was that I packed on 25 #’s of weight, that to this day I haven’t been able to shed.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

. I have seen a few men that it has ruined. Cant lift there arm’s above chest height now.

That is where I am at – my right arm doesn’t lift above my chest and the last 2 fingers on that hand are constantly numb.

Well that is true, but I couldn’t lift my arm above my chest before surgery

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Have you tried melatonin? It doesn’t work for everybody but for those that it works on, it’s pretty effective.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Seriously, it needs to stop. It’s been raining for a week and we still have a few days of it.

Just be glad it is not snow and ice. Think of how much would have accumulated.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 961 through 980 (of 1,011 total)
  • The topic ‘RANT of the DAY’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.152 seconds