dcsimg

Random Orbit Sanders

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

Anyone have any favorites in random orbit sanders?

I have an old Porter-Cable that I’ve used for years that I’ve had to replace a few parts on. I’m sure it’s not going to last forever so I’ve been looking around trying to decide what the replacement will be. The Bosch ROS20VSK looks like a good sander at a good price. The Bosch ROS65VC-5 looks interesting too but quite a bit more expensive.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

the economical Bosch is pretty nice, I carry it and am happy with it.

woodman_412

What is the vibration on the Bosch like Brian? That’s one thing that the Porter Cable isn’t great on and it’s been making me think about switching before the old one dies.

Dan

danpattison.com

I am torn between going the economical Bosch route vs. the higher end 200+ bosch… anybody have one of those nicer ones? is it worth it? does it finish better or does it just vibrate less…

John S

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I don’t feel like it vibrates to much. I have not run into anyone with the more expensive one to compare it to though. I have that and a Makita finish sander and am pretty happy with both.

woodman_412

Anyone had any experience with a dual mode orbital sander? From what I understand they can hog off a lot of material in the rough mode.

Dan

danpattison.com

Interesting topic. I was considering doing a “Tale of Three Sanders” for the local woodworking club.

My first ROS was a Bosch when they first came out. The first time I used it, I put my PC330 pad sander on the shelf, where it’s been for mostly 20 years. I’ve used it a lot, sometimes all days long. Pretty sure it’s no longer in production, though. I can still get parts, over the counter, at a number of local shops and service centers.

A few years ago, I got a great introductory deal on a a Festool ROS. It’s really nice. At a $59 price tag it was a no-brainer. Whether or not it would be worth a huge premium to my Bosch, I’m not sure.

I was at a show last winter and picked up a ROS20VSK Bosch for about half price with coupon and rebate. Even at half price, I’m disappointed.
    I prefer the trigger start on both the other sanders to the toggle switch on this one. It makes it easy to back off speed and move to a new area ow wood without creating a divot. But it’s better than the DeWalt I’ve used that radically speeds up under no load.

So in general,
    – Soft start
    – Trigger to control on-off and speed
    – Trigger lock on, when needed.
    – Velcro pad

wait a festool ros for 59? is that a typo? whattttt? and how in the world did you get the bosch ROS20VSK for half off ($35???) that is a steal!

how is the vibration on your new bosch ros?

John S

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I’ve used the dewalt random orbit sander but i have nothing to compare it with. Seems to get the job done well without much vibration in my opinion.

woodman_412

Anybody have a favorite sanding disc brand or type?

I tried the purple Sia discs the other day and they seem to work great. I’ve always used the blue ones in the past but the purple seem to last longer and cut faster.

Dan

danpattison.com

Dan,

I like the 65VC in this post: http://www.aconcordcarpenter.com/2011/06/new-bosch-tools-media-event-2011.html

Watch this short review I loved the sander – best seen yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwCYoYs0_BI

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

woodman_412

Thanks for the links Rob! I was wondering if the new Bosch was worth the extra money over the standard model that Bosch makes. Looks like it is.

Dan

danpattison.com

Thanks for the links Rob. I definitely appreciate your insight. Vibration is a bummer if you are sander all day. Big-time.

Besides the vibration, did you notice any performance boost in its finish/hogging abilities?

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i run a makita that i bought 10 years ago..ive had newer sanders but found they didnt work nearly as well.. the makita is starting to show its age though.. ill be replacing it with either a newer makita or a bosch i believe unless i can track down a metabo

as for sanding discs.. i like the sia ones. but their not always available.. i bought some freud diablo discs from home depot but their not worth the money.. gator discs that rona sells arent much better

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

Which Makita model do you have Jeff?

Mill Supply carries the purple Sia discs and they have good prices on them too. I bought a lot of my tools from Mill Supply when I lived in Halifax, they just set up a store in Charlottetown a couple months ago which was great to see.

Dan

danpattison.com

i have never heard of this sia discs…. do they just last a lot longer?

John S

woodman_412

Sia is just the manufacturer.

http://www.sia-abrasives.com/en/index.php

I have always used the blue discs which are usually labeled “Blue Line” and they worked well but I just tried switching to the purple and they seem to work even better. I paid about 48 cents per disc at my supplier so they are a good value too.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

both busy bee and richeleu in burnside sell them.. only thing is they never seem to have the grit i need

woodman_412

Do you shop at Mill Supply at all Jeff?

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

no. ive only been in there twice i think looking for something and the price was outlandish

one thing that really really irks me though on a jobsite in trim stage is when guys take the sanding discs to use for hand sandpaper.. a few times guys have done it and taken the last disc and not said anything.. i keep em on site for the sander when getting rid o blade marks after milling up mdf for jambs, extensions, and cleats. if its not sanded it doesnt go on the wall

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.856 seconds