dcsimg

Question on Pronunciation

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I like my Ryobi Tools no matter how you say it. I’m saving up for the better Bosch tools though.
    As I always say… you get what you pay for.

My first response was going to be “CHEAP”

I have no current experience with any YOBI (LOL) lime green/yellow tools. The only one I had ever owned was a 12V driver that was blue with the red writing. Never again. 😉

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Rye-Oh-Bee is how I pronounce it, never heard it any other way.

That is how I have always heard it pronounced .

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

It’s like God has removed part of their vocal cords, but I know that’s not really true, so what else is it in fact.

It’s the fact that their muscles are not use to making those sounds, it takes a lot of work to get out of that muscle memory that foreigners have had for their native tongue for so many years. Kind of like if we try to speak foreign languages.

For exampe, Germans do not have the sound that is made by the letters “th”. So words with that sound are difficult for them to say. Kind of like it is hard for me to spit out an “r” that rolls like other languages. They say that as long as someone learns a second language before the age of 11, they can speak it without an accent.

So, BOT, I say it the way others here do as well.

Did you watch the videos??? Did you hear how they say it?? There is no R sound in Japanese! It’s a sound they have to learn when they get here.
    I see you posted up Katakana a system of writing for American sounds, it is not Kanji the language that comes from Chinese. Where in Japan is you friend from?

Please look at it again. It is the Hiragana chart.

Here’s a chart with Hiragana and Katakana side by side

It’s the fact that their muscles are not use to making those sounds, it takes a lot of work to get out of that muscle memory that foreigners have had for their native tongue for so many years. Kind of like if we try to speak foreign languages.

For exampe, Germans do not have the sound that is made by the letters “th”. So words with that sound are difficult for them to say. Kind of like it is hard for me to spit out an “r” that rolls like other languages. They say that as long as someone learns a second language before the age of 11, they can speak it without an accent.

So, BOT, I say it the way others here do as well.

It’s like Sven says, foreigners pronounce things differently than us but the fact is there is a “r” sound in the Japanese language. I hope so since that is what I was taught in beginning and intermediate Japanese class I took in middle school

We will never pronounce things the way people from Japan will. No matter how fluent we get in the language. Just like a person from Japan won’t pronounce other languages correctly.

Try asking a person from Japan to pronounce the word “language” and see what they come up with.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man I have dated more women for Japan than you can image, I’m married to a Japanese national, we speak Japanese in our house.I heav spent a lot of time in Toyko& and Kanagawa. My name starts with a R………….

Exactly @DirtyWhiteBoy! Funny they can say the letter “L” but cannot pronounce words with L unless they really try.

She does a pretty good job in pronouncing L words for a Nihonjin.

This is a great video!

Man I have dated more women for Japan than you can image, I’m married to a Japanese national, we speak Japanese in our house.I heav spent a lot of time in Toyko& and Kanagawa. My name starts with a R………….

Dude, you may be more “Japanese” than I am Dirty even though I’m ethnically Japanese. I’m Sansei and cannot even speak the language. I even unknowingly say Sashimi and Karaoke incorrectly sometimes. I need to think like I’m speaking Japanese to say it correctly.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

the commercial i just saw pronounced it RE-O-BE, that is how I heard it anyway. it it is on TV it has to be true. Correct?

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

it it is on TV it has to be true. Correct?

That is only true for the internet. The TV lies.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Looks like I have been saying it wrong.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks like I have been saying it wrong.

I had been thinking that that’s where I’ve heard it pronounced “ree”, the HD commercials, and that’s about the only place.

It pains me to look at that much of that stuff.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

Probably similar to how Kyoto is pronounced Kee-oto. I don’t get the whole R debate in Japanese because I’ve heard lots of “r”‘s in japanese. They pronounce it differently, but so does every other language.

North American’s like to read things phonetically, which is weird because English is a mess phonetically. That’s why I still hear everyone refer to EYE-rack as the country we invaded 14 years ago. 14 years and we still can’t even say their damn name right. It’s a little embarrassing.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

the commercial i just saw pronounced it RE-O-BE, that is how I heard it anyway. it it is on TV it has to be true. Correct?

Yes it is. In our country we do not say it the same way they do in the country of origin. Just like we do not say mazda the same as they do in Japan.
    Hack in Japan they the Japanese people don’t call Japan, Japan.

Edit,, I just said Popeyes chicken to my wife and she didn’t know what I was talking about, a few seconds later she said it back to me in only a way a Japanese person could say popeye.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Just like we do not say mazda the same as they do in Japan.

So how do they pronounce Mazda in Japan? I figured that one would be pretty standard. I know in Japan they pronounce Acura differently than in the US.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So how do they pronounce Mazda in Japan? I figured that one would be pretty standard. I know in Japan they pronounce Acura differently than in the US.

Google youtubejp.com and then search for a Mazda commercial, you’ll be shocked. They way they say McDonalds is really funny!!!

Absolutely amazing at what you can learn here. Love to hit the lotto and just travel the world . It would be so cool to see and share in different cultures than the one I know

Google youtubejp.com and then search for a Mazda commercial, you’ll be shocked. They way they say McDonalds is really funny!!!

jiminmi
    Pro
    Shelby Township, MI

Re-o-be

Check out my YouTube channel at: www.youtube.com/channel/UC0_hiu0q4bHnGHtiJcG4sDw

Re-o-be

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/GLYaGWPlatI?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

That’s the Americanized version. Dirty would say it’s wrong.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Everyone around here pronounces it Roy-o-bee.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

try saying it this way….

crap-tools……………

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.582 seconds