dcsimg

Question about base cabinets

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

The builders of the property where I work did some goofy stuff.
    For example, they installed 33″ sinks in 30″ cabinets.
    I remove the base cabinets when I remodel a kitchen, and I leave the wall cabinets. I just paint the wall cabinets.

One thing I can’t stand that they did was put the dishwasher on the wrong side of the sink base. But if I put the dishwasher where it should be, the wall cabinets won’t line up perfectly.

My question is: if the sink lines up well enough with the bridge cabinet above it, does it really matter if the other base cabinets are different widths than the wall cabinets above them?

Pat

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That would have to be the owners decision . Is it proper, no. Would I do it on purpose? no . I have seen it done though. You could always remove the cabinet over the sink .

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I agree with Ron, it’s proper to line up the base and wall cabinets. It’s not always possible, though, as you are finding out. I think that as long as the base and wall cabinets are the same total length, differences will not be so obvious.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

My question is: if the sink lines up well enough with the bridge cabinet above it, does it really matter if the other base cabinets are different widths than the wall cabinets above them?

It always looks better if they do line up.
    What side the dishwasher is on is subjective. I’ve had customers request it be in the left side of the sink. While the norm is on the right.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie
    Pro

It always looks better if they do line up.
    What side the dishwasher is on is subjective. I’ve had customers request it be in the left side of the sink. While the norm is on the right.

I had to install our dishwasher on the left side of our sink. It’s not a big deal really. You get used to it.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The position of the dishwasher as well as the garbage disposal seems to be personal preference.

We have had homeowners that insist that the dishwasher be on the right and others the left. the n garbage disposal is the same way. I think it is just what you are used to or what you grew up with.

I don’t think there is really a right or wrong.

Doobie
    Pro

The position of the dishwasher as well as the garbage disposal seems to be personal preference.

We have had homeowners that insist that the dishwasher be on the right and others the left. the n garbage disposal is the same way. I think it is just what you are used to or what you grew up with.

I don’t think there is really a right or wrong.

The garberator was another item I had to install where it was my second choice in the smaller sink of our double sink rather than the larger main sink. There was just no way to configure under the counter otherwise due to where the drain went into the back wall without ripping all that out and moving it over. Can’t say it ended up bothering me though.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I looked at an old remodel I had done and saw why I hadn’t put the dishwasher on the other side of the sink. The sink definitely would not have been lined up with the bridge cabinet above it. I had forgotten.

What I had done was I left the dishwasher where it was, replaced the 30 inch sink base with a 36 inch and replaced the peninsula with a 24 inch base cabinet. It all looked good because I didn’t use filler strips like the original builder had done.

Pat

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I looked at an old remodel I had done and saw why I hadn’t put the dishwasher on the other side of the sink. The sink definitely would not have been lined up with the bridge cabinet above it. I had forgotten.

What I had done was I left the dishwasher where it was, replaced the 30 inch sink base with a 36 inch and replaced the peninsula with a 24 inch base cabinet. It all looked good because I didn’t use filler strips like the original builder had done.

What kind of counter tops do you use when you remodel the kitchens?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Hey DWB! I used postform Wilsonart countertops with backsplash and waterfall edge.

That was a mistake, because I had to raise the countertop so the edge would clear the drawers. I should have gotten the valencia edge. It would have been a better fit. 🙁

Pat

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Here’s a few photos of the kitchen. I still need to secure the dishwasher and get a plumber out to relocate the gas pipe for the stove because it won’t let the stove sit back far enough.

Pat

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Hey DWB! I used postform Wilsonart countertops with backsplash and waterfall edge.

That was a mistake, because I had to raise the countertop so the edge would clear the drawers. I should have gotten the valencia edge. It would have been a better fit. 🙁

Did you use a 3/4″ build up on top of the cabinets before installing the tops? That is a pretty standard way to raise them up to clear the drawers and almost always done with most countertop styles

http://www.mal-o-sen.com/sticks_fastening.html

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Did you use a 3/4″ build up on top of the cabinets before installing the tops? That is a pretty standard way to raise them up to clear the drawers and almost always done with most countertop styles

http://www.mal-o-sen.com/sticks_fastening.html

We usually just put a full sheet of ply on the cabinets and call it a sub top.

Dirty

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

We attach 3/4 build up to the tops to make them flush with the cabinet. Alas makes the tops look better on the finished ends.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

I believe the 3/4 buildup has to do with California code. Apparently they do not allow1 1/4 granit, too heavy.

In Canada we are allowed 1 1/4 be it stone or laminate so the buildup is part of the countertop. Stone goes right on top of the boxes.

Served apprenticeship in Bavaria in 1977

Eric

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

Doobie
    Pro

In Canada….

Whereabouts in Canada are you Eric?

I’m in Ajax just outside of Toronto. Lots of Canadians on this forum from all over. Mostly in Ontario but quite a few in Quebec as well are here. While this is a Bosch North American USA initiative forum/site there are a disproportionately amount of Canadians versus Americans here.

@oldcountrywoodworks

Stop by this dedicated Intro thread they have setup here at our ‘Be The Pro’ forum for new members to say hello and tell us some more of what you do Eric.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourself-v4-0/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Stone goes right on top of the boxes.

The stone can go right on top of the boxes and it is done on the very cheap projects. Most stone in quality homes is set on the subply that goes on top of the boxes.

Dirty

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.471 seconds