dcsimg

Qep Lash leveling System for tile

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Skill,
    The straps are about 1/16″. So for marble or rectified ( straight square edge tiles) you may use the straps AS spacers. Many tile jobs use a 1/8″ so additional spacer work fine.

I think that’s the one downside with them is that it comes in one size . Other spacers come in different sizes and not needing other hand spacers .

Always willing to learn .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Skill,
    The straps are about 1/16″. So for marble or rectified ( straight square edge tiles) you may use the straps AS spacers. Many tile jobs use a 1/8″ so additional spacer work fine.

Phil,
    Thanks for the enlightenment on the MLT System. I will have to look into it for the next bathroom project that my SIL @r-ice will have down the road.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Skill,

Phil,
    Thanks for the enlightenment on the MLT System. I will have to look into it for the next bathroom project that my SIL @r-ice will have down the road.

if i am not moving this year, we can start it in the spring and just finish it, i’ll rent the tile saw

pgc555
    Pro
    Gilberts, Illinois

@skillman,
    How is that a “downside”. If you look at the picture @58chev posted you can see he has used additional spacers with the lash system? And if you look at my picture with the MLT, I used additional 1/8″ spacers with that as well. That is normal.

With levelingsystems , QEP , and other type there is no additional spacers needed . Just pick your size when buying and that’s it . You could use a spacer here or there @pgc555 but the whole floor or wall doesn’t require more .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

if i am not moving this year, we can start it in the spring and just finish it, i’ll rent the tile saw

@r-ice
    Let me know when you have the slab level enough for tile setting and well start that project.

With levelingsystems , QEP , and other type there is no additional spacer thes needed . Just pick your size when buying and that’s it . You could use a spacer here or there

At the time I bought the QEP system, I don’t think HD offered different sizes.

— Glenn Botting

pgc555
    Pro
    Gilberts, Illinois

@Skillman… The QEP “straps” are 1/16″ think so if you needed a larger grout line, you need additional spacers…. Here is the DATA sheet from HD….http://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-Lash-Tile-Leveling-Aligning-and-Spacer-Clip-Value-Pack-300-per-Box-99751Q/205757027?srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=42-137389092-2&cm_mmc=shopping-_-shopzilla-_-D23-_-205757027

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I bought the raimondi system.
    Once I start to work on the shower I’ll put up some pictures.

@Skillman… The QEP “straps” are 1/16″ think so if you needed a larger grout line, you need additional spacers…. Here is the DATA sheet from HD….http://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-Lash-Tile-Leveling-Aligning-and-Spacer-Clip-Value-Pack-300-per-Box-99751Q/205757027?srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=42-137389092-2&cm_mmc=shopping-_-shopzilla-_-D23-_-205757027

Your right i was mistaken about having different sizes . They do have small and xl size clip for thick sizes tiles .

I bought the raimondi system.
    Once I start to work on the shower I’ll put up some pictures.

Looking forward to your thoughts on them .

I started out trying the QEP lash and quickly switched to RLS. It has flat bottom plates, bigger wedges and is over all easier to work with.
    You still want to use a larger notched trowel and back butter on lager tiles. Also with RLS you can get 1/16″ 1/8″ 3/16″ thick clips. No need for spacers.

I too have used the RLS and had good results. Never tried the QEP.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I started out trying the QEP lash and quickly switched to RLS. It has flat bottom plates, bigger wedges and is over all easier to work with.
    You still want to use a larger notched trowel and back butter on lager tiles. Also with RLS you can get 1/16″ 1/8″ 3/16″ thick clips. No need for spacers.

As a DIY’er, I went with the QEP because it was what was available at the time. Now that I see that there are BETTER choices out there I would not recommend the QEP system solely based on the fact that the bottom is not flat. The next bathroom reno I will use the MLT System

— Glenn Botting

Would you say that 1/2 notch trowel would be the smallest size using leveling clips @pgc555 .

pgc555
    Pro
    Gilberts, Illinois

The size notch has more to do with the size of your tile and the flatness of the substrate. I use a 1/2 x 1/2 for large format tiles ( any tile measuring 15″ or larger on any one side ) But a 3/8 notch would be fine on smaller tiles… even with a lippage system…. PLEASE, DON’T interchange “tile LEVELING with LIPPAGE control systems”. The installer sets the tile as “level” as possible, The LIPPAGE systems just TWEEK the tiles. YES! a tile installation can be done with satisfactory results WITHOUT using an additional lippage system.

Doobie

Anybody know where they carry the MLT system here in Canada in the Toronto area?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Author

@Doobie
    According to the MLT website under distributors,

Distributors-Internet Sales/Canada

Rich Eckert
    General Manager
    Russo Trading Company

Riche@rtcproducts.com

Steve Sprung
    Sales Manager
    Russo Trading Company

Steves@rtcproducts.com

4235 North 127th St.
    Brookfield, WI 53005

855-782-8665
    262-432-0877
    262-790-2177 fax

http://www.rtcproducts.com <<<<< Check out the listed distributors HERE
    and there are 4 listed in the GTA area.

— Glenn Botting

The size notch has more to do with the size of your tile and the flatness of the substrate. I use a 1/2 x 1/2 for large format tiles ( any tile measuring 15″ or larger on any one side ) But a 3/8 notch would be fine on smaller tiles… even with a lippage system…. PLEASE, DON’T interchange “tile LEVELING with LIPPAGE control systems”. The installer sets the tile as “level” as possible, The LIPPAGE systems just TWEEK the tiles. YES! a tile installation can be done with satisfactory results WITHOUT using an additional lippage system.

I agree what you just posted . Great advice for anyone to read .

TNTSERVICES
    Pro
    Naperville, Illinois

Systems like this look really cool, but how do they not create air pockets under the tile?

When one is forced upwards to the height of the adjacent tile, wouldn’t “something” have to fill that void?

Sure the mortar sticks to the back of the tile, but when its lifted higher off of the subfloor, more mortar is necessary to maintain 100% bond.

First, the Lash system is junk and made for homeowners. Never use it. With that said, I would highly recommend Riamondi’s RLS system.

But to correct your conclustion, a wedge system doesn’t pull the tile you have set to the tile you are setting. The tile you are setting is actually going to get pulled down to the one you have set. Think of it this way. Lay a tile. Try to pull it up without using a marginal to pry it up. Notice how much force it takes to get it up. Now imagine what happens when you are laying a tile next to the one and sliding the wedge in. The new tile is being pulled down to the set tile. Many times you will get thin set to ooze out.

TNTSERVICES
    Pro
    Naperville, Illinois

Soaking the straps refers to a system called
    TLS. ( Tuscan Leveling System ) these are one piece straps . MLT are 2 pic. They are a combo of straps and plates. The straps are reusable. Only plates stay in the assembly

RLS also suggest soaking, but it is not required. It softens the plastic is all. Less breakage on the clips.

TNTSERVICES
    Pro
    Naperville, Illinois

As a DIY’er, I went with the QEP because it was what was available at the time. Now that I see that there are BETTER choices out there I would not recommend the QEP system solely based on the fact that the bottom is not flat. The next bathroom reno I will use the MLT System

Forget the MLT, you can get the RLS system far cheaper and no tool is required.

Soaking the straps refers to a system called
    TLS. ( Tuscan Leveling System ) these are one piece straps . MLT are 2 pic. They are a combo of straps and plates. The straps are reusable. Only plates stay in the assembly

RLS also suggest soaking, but it is not required. It softens the plastic is all. Less breakage on the clips.

How long do they want you too soak them for .

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.457 seconds