dcsimg

pvc adhesive and column wraps

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Once again, like kurt, the cortex screws and plugs are the bomb.

See I keep learning…. What are the plugs??? Do you cut em from the stuff you’re using?? Where does this cortex come from?? The big A??

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

You order your plugs with your material. FastenMaster makes them. they come in a box with the screws, a special driver bit and the precut plugs to match your material. @dirtywhiteboy

they have them for multiple brands of materials:
    Cortex Screws for AZEK Trim
    Cortex Screws for Koma Trim
    Cortex Screws for Versatex Trim

Attachments:

<P>You order your plugs with your material. FastenMaster makes them. they come in a box with the screws, a special driver bit and the precut plugs to match your material. @dirtywhiteboy </P>
    <P>they have them for multiple brands of materials:<BR>Cortex Screws for AZEK Trim<BR>Cortex Screws for Koma Trim<BR>Cortex Screws for Versatex Trim</P>

Those things look awesome, to bad they dont make something similar for wood.for wood fences , just to hide the screw heads, but im guessing to much movement in wood ??

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I an not sure but you may be able to get them for IPE.

@redwood
    would probably know better.

redwood
    Pro

Unless you are doing a really high end fence, you wouldn’t probably use the cortex plugs. There are a number of manufacturers that sell screws that have color coated heads, even trim head. Fastenmaster is one of them, Starborn Ind. is another.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Unless you are doing a really high end fence, you wouldn’t probably use the cortex plugs. There are a number of manufacturers that sell screws that have color coated heads, even trim head. Fastenmaster is one of them, Starborn Ind. is another.

Right, thanks for getting back so quickly. Guess it was just a thought. Looking carefully at the screw head, wouldn’t hold very sturdy in wood.

The one that you mentioned Mark would have a better hold. I typically have the deck screws. Oh well just fishing for ideas. For my fence.

Thanks again guys @kurt@welkerhomes.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You order your plugs with your material. FastenMaster makes them. they come in a box with the screws, a special driver bit and the precut plugs to match your material.

So they carry all the different colors of Trex decking?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I am nit sure about Trex, but I can get them for TimberTech and Azek for sure.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Those things look awesome, to bad they dont make something similar for wood.for wood fences

Wooden plugs are easy to make yourself. We do it with a plug cutter and a table saw.

Those things look awesome, to bad they dont make something similar for wood.for wood fences

Wooden plugs are easy to make yourself. We do it with a plug cutter and a table saw.

Do you make them the same as say for interior hardwood railing, I have done those. What’s a plug cutter??

Nice caps in your avatar 🙂 do they sell them online

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Do you make them the same as say for interior hardwood railing, I have done those. What’s a plug cutter??

Nice caps in your avatar 🙂 do they sell them online

The plug cutter is the bit used in the drill to cut the right size plug
    The hats were promo givaways.

woodman_412

I tried a test joint yesterday on the PVC. I cut a mitre and joined it with the Trim Tight along with a regular screw and a pocket hole screw. Once the glue set up it made for a rock solid joint. I think I’ll use that method for all the window and door trim. I also used masking tape as a temporary clamp when putting it together which worked well.

Dan

danpattison.com

Nice caps in your avatar :) do they sell them online

The plug cutter is the bit used in the drill to cut the right size plug
    The hats were promo givaways.

Nice give away, good for you they look great. Never seen those cutters before, would I be able to get them at the big box stores if I needed one.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So I had 2 adhesives at my disposal the manufacturers’ Kleer pvc GLUE with a brush and then the acrylic tube.

I decided to use the brush applied to board joints and the acrylic I use in the lock miters of the columns and as a nail filler. I honestly dont see it as adding much strength but it can only help.

My brain really struggled with the home made newel posts and built up layers. I put solid dimensional lumber as backing in places where I would be attaching my railings. And I tried to allow movement joints among the pieces.

Hopefully it worked out.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Never seen those cutters before, would I be able to get them at the big box stores if I needed one.

I don’t know about that at the Big Box?? It could be more of a wood working store thing or the big has all that stuff.

We use the coretex screws and plugs as mentioned earlier for fascia, soffit, etc. We usually leave a 1′ x 1′ L piece on the corners of the fascia for expansion. A decent caulking joint at the ends. It’s what is recommended by the manufacturer to do.

As for columns, I have done quite a few using bond and fill, which is a white epoxy. It’s expensive, but it fills all the gaps in, and looks seamless. Better than clear or white PVC cement. It’s BONDED.

Now, with that being said, we have had just one post/column blow. It’ll make a helluva noise, like a baseball bat hitting the house when it goes. BANG!

And it won’t be broken on the seam.

I’m still a wood guy. I have found a suitable alternative using quarter sawn Sipo and a 2 part exterior opaque polyurethane…if the client so chooses.

The finish on pvc IMO sucks. It gets dirty way too easy. Not much of a maintenance free finish when you are constantly cleaning it with bleach and such.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Nice caps in your avatar :) do they sell them online

I have a set of plug cutters that you can use in a cordless drill, they work great. I have used them to plug screw/lag holes in deck railing posts before.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/3804779569533483206?lsf=seller:1135568,store:5922339760903948026,lsfqd:0&prds=oid:1623866914137905615&q=cookie+cutters&hl=en-US&ei=vrG-VcXhMcLve__LgtAJ&lsft=gclid:CMCsnqDQi8cCFY2RHwodnYULhw

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I always tell folks who want to use pvc.

You don’t have to paint it, but eventually you will want to.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I always tell folks who want to use pvc.

You don’t have to paint it, but eventually you will want to.

I agree, most of the time I’ve used PVC it was painted right off the get go.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I saw this at Lowe’s the other day, they have started carrying the Azek Products.

I had never seen the glue with the product previously. The supplier I have purchased it from Previously did not stock the glue.

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.149 seconds