dcsimg

PSA

Viewing 20 posts - 501 through 520 (of 910 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Sometimes they make the concrete walls like that to narrow for big trucks. I have had some tight spots to get through them.
    I don’t know why this guy hit it with the rear axels .

Definitely not tracking straight. If it were he wouldn’t have hit whatever was in the curb lane.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Sometimes they make the concrete walls like that to narrow for big trucks. I have had some tight spots to get through them.
    I don’t know why this guy hit it with the rear axels .

Definitely not tracking straight. If it were he wouldn’t have hit whatever was in the curb lane.

this is why i hate driving next to big rigs, you never know what could happen.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I guess you have to judge how heavy the wood is before you try to lift it.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

@r-ice Interesting video with the crane there. I guess the most damage was likely done to the crane itself.

A Working Pro since 2004

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@r-ice Interesting video with the crane there. I guess the most damage was likely done to the crane itself.

yah they are pretty lucky it didn’t fall on the building. I thought they generally have an idea how much to cut and how much it is capable of moving.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I guess you have to judge how heavy the wood is before you try to lift it.

WOW, Guess they did not expect that much trunk to be that heavy.

I have pic’s of when they cut the tree out front of my home, glad that did not happen.

— Glenn Botting

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

A Working Pro since 2004

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fz09c4HgLNc?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

lol these are great for the beginners to learn from their mistakes, they must be expensive mistakes though.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/9zLTLBrfFZ4?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Here in our shop, every time I need to use the torches, we have to call for a hot work permit, and stop an hour before our shift ends, then security comes by every half hour for three hours after, and prior to giving the permit they inspect the area,

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here in our shop, every time I need to use the torches, we have to call for a hot work permit, and stop an hour before our shift ends, then security comes by every half hour for three hours after, and prior to giving the permit they inspect the area,

Wow makes you not want to use the torches if you have to go all through that.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I’m thinking maybe some crane operators need a better training course?
    The tree guys dropped a big tree on a neighbors house . I didn’t see it happen but they did have a crane. They got a whole new roof.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The tree guys dropped a big tree on a neighbors house . I didn’t see it happen but they did have a crane. They got a whole new roof.

Not sure about where you are, Ron, but here, in Ontario, a mobile crane operator is required to serve either a 5 or 6 year apprenticeship. His qualifications increase by load rating til he reaches the 1000 ton rating or whatever the maximum crane capacity he will be using. The operator is the crew chief. He is responsible for the entire operation; moving and assembling the crane on site, making the lift and disassembling for return. A large crane can take a dozen or more semis to transport.
    It’s a really tough learning curve, but worthwhile from a safety standpoint.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Not sure about where you are, Ron, but here, in Ontario, a mobile crane operator is required to serve either a 5 or 6 year apprenticeship. His qualifications increase by load rating til he reaches the 1000 ton rating or whatever the maximum crane capacity he will be using. The operator is the crew chief. He is responsible for the entire operation; moving and assembling the crane on site, making the lift and disassembling for return. A large crane can take a dozen or more semis to transport.
    It’s a really tough learning curve, but worthwhile from a safety standpoint.

I would think the same training would apply here also. I don’t know where all the crane videos were made but seems some didn’t learn enough!
    I would say maybe the weather, wind, ground stability and so on would come into play also. I think the cranes have a scale on them that tells the operator how much they are lifting. I am no expert by any means.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I was pretty shocked also at the amount of incidents recorded on on film. I would have thought it was a rare occasion. This video makes it seem that it happens quite often.

A total of 86 incidents involving the collapse or major structural failure of a tower crane have
    been identified as taking place between 1989 to 2009. These occurred as follows:

As per crane statistics from http://www.craneaccidents.com/statistics/
    Here are incidents worldwide until 2009.
    1989 – 1 Incident identified
    1990 to 1998 – No incidents identified
    1999 – 2 Incidents identified
    2000 – 3 Incidents identified
    2001 – 1 Incident identified
    2002 – 5 Incidents identified
    2003 – 3 Incidents identified
    2004 – 3 Incidents identified
    2005 – 10 Incidents identified
    2006 – 7 Incidents identified
    2007 – 18 Incidents identified
    2008 – 15 Incidents identified
    2009 – 15 Incidents identified

Seems like accidents are going up in frequency. Here also are the reason for the accident

• Erection/Dismantling/Extending of the crane – 29 Incidents (34%)
    • Extreme Weather – 15 Incidents (18%)
    • Foundation Issues – 2 Incidents (2%)
    • Mechanical or Structural Issues – 4 Incidents (5%)
    • Misuse – 6 Incidents (7%)
    • Electrical/Control System Issues – 1 Incident (1%)
    • Unknown Cause – 28 Incidents (33%)

A Working Pro since 2004

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

This was a hot topic around the Milwaukee area back in 1999 when they were building the MLB stadium, Miller Park for the Brewers. Three construction workers died. Horrible tragedy.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Wow makes you not want to use the torches if you have to go all through that.

I remember a place I worked for a number of years ago the maintenance tech would just fire up the welding equipment no matter what time of day it was and no matter if the area was clear enough to work.

@utopia78

Chris those are are some crazy numbers, especially the

• Erection/Dismantling/Extending of the crane – 29 Incidents (34%)

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I think we are also getting more on film as the exposure to more photographic tools are available, now everyone has a cell phone capable of high quality photo capture.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Jointer Safety

— Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I had a close call today with ripping some walnut. One piece, with a knot in it, decided that internal tension would close the kerf. One piece shot back from the blade as the cut finished and hit a piece of 3/4″ ply leaning against the wall.

I could feel it going by my leg missing me by a whisker.

Second pic is the new micro jig splitter and kerf keeper I went and bought. I was putting off buying this for a few weeks now but there it is ready to go. Easy installation, good instructions and it looks like a solid product.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 501 through 520 (of 910 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.336 seconds