dcsimg

PSA

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 910 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Another excellent point to go along with this PSA @Doobie! When sanding old finish off of hardwood floors or old cabinets, the sanding can create heat and if the sawdust is in a container, the heat can get hot enough combined with the old finish and start on fire.

wow thats crazy, i never knew that. I always sand and vacuum it up and leave it. Might have to just let it chill outside the house.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It looks like we need to make a list of what needs to go in the burn pile.
    If you can burn..

@r-ice wow never knew that, thanks for the info, even though , I have always hung my rags outside when I have finished with them, usually clip them on a fence or some other spot to dry.

Another excellent point to go along with this PSA @Doobie! When sanding old finish off of hardwood floors or old cabinets, the sanding can create heat and if the sawdust is in a container, the heat can get hot enough combined with the old finish and start on fire.

wow thats crazy, i never knew that. I always sand and vacuum it up and leave it. Might have to just let it chill outside the house.

For sure…some go as far as disposing of the dust in a metal trash can so if it did ignite it wouldn’t melt the plastic can and catch something else on fire.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

They make automatic closing cans just for oily rags. They have a easily melted section on the lid lift that will melt and close the lid if it gets too hot, smothering the fire. Had a discussion of this a couple months ago at a safety meeting and our boss told us about an incident that happened at his last job. Someone was cleaning a machine and put the greasy rags in a bag and left them in a corner. The next day, the rags were burned to nothing. Luckily there wasn’t anything flammable in the area so only the rags burned.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Here is a new psa, always be careful in using your grinder. I saw this on a different site so I thought i’d pass along the safety here.

Safety First

Anonymous
    Inactive
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Here is a new psa, always be careful in using your grinder. I saw this on a different site so I thought i’d pass along the safety here.

It’s not so much “being careful” with your grinder as buying quality cutting disks. There are cheap disks out there that are made overseas and will shatter when using them.
    I read about this stuff all the time on the classic car forums.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It’s not so much “being careful” with your grinder as buying quality cutting disks. There are cheap disks out there that are made overseas and will shatter when using them.
    I read about this stuff all the time on the classic car forums.

And may I add; please don’t use a grinder without a guard ….. ever.

When you change a disc or wheel on your grinder, start the grinder with the new wheel under your bench and run it for a few minutes. If the new disc is defective, it will usually show up very quickly.

Check the integrity of a new wheel by balancing it on your finger and striking it lightly with a pencil or something fairly light and small. You will hear a clear, bell like tone from a good wheel. A defective wheel will give a dull, flat thud.

Make sure the rated speed of the wheel is greater than the free speed of your grinder.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

That I didn’t know about the potential risk when sanding old finishes. Good to know.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Ew. The grinder thing has always been a concern of mine. I use a grinder all the time for cutting vinyl. Never without a guard and safety glasses though. And making sure that if it did go, my guard is positioned properly to protect me.

And I did not know about the linseed oil

redwood
    Pro

I guess you guys haven’t read my article here on sealing decks, there is a big cautionary statement about taking care of your wiping rags.

True story, my lead guy stained decks on the side. One night he returned to our house (he lived upstairs over the garage) after staining a deck. Usually he properly takes care of his rags, but this night there was a heavy fog, so he just left them in the back of his truck. About 2AM, one of our neighbor, who lives above us, calls and tells us there is a fire. We rush outside to see the truck engulfed in flames. The truck is inching forward, underneath a large fir tree and moving towards my wood storage. Some of you have seen pics of my wood storage at the time. It was 12’wide, 20′ long and 10′ high, just loaded with high grade redwood. Thousands of dollars worth and nothing we could do but wait for the fire department. Cal fire had a station about a mile away and were called right away. Unfortunately, they missed our turn and ended up on the street above us. Remember, I was living in the mountains with narrow no through-way private streets. It took them some time to get their truck back to us and we could here them the whole time. We were sweating our asses off hoping they would get there before the tree and my storage were engulfed in flames.

Well they made it just as the tree started to catch fire. The truck had inched it’s way to within 2′ of my wood storage. The fire department was able to put the fire out before the tree was engulfed in flames. We lost some lower limbs, the storage was safe but the truck was totaled, nothing left, but scrap metal.

Take proper care of those rags. It’s no joke. Sorry about the long story, but it was one scary night.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I guess you guys haven’t read my article here on sealing decks, there is a big cautionary statement about taking care of your wiping rags.

True story, my lead guy stained decks on the side. One night he returned to our house (he lived upstairs over the garage) after staining a deck. Usually he properly takes care of his rags, but this night there was a heavy fog, so he just left them in the back of his truck. About 2AM, one of our neighbor, who lives above us, calls and tells us there is a fire. We rush outside to see the truck engulfed in flames. The truck is inching forward, underneath a large fir tree and moving towards my wood storage. Some of you have seen pics of my wood storage at the time. It was 12’wide, 20′ long and 10′ high, just loaded with high grade redwood. Thousands of dollars worth and nothing we could do but wait for the fire department. Cal fire had a station about a mile away and were called right away. Unfortunately, they missed our turn and ended up on the street above us. Remember, I was living in the mountains with narrow no through-way private streets. It took them some time to get their truck back to us and we could here them the whole time. We were sweating our asses off hoping they would get there before the tree and my storage were engulfed in flames.

Well they made it just as the tree started to catch fire. The truck had inched it’s way to within 2′ of my wood storage. The fire department was able to put the fire out before the tree was engulfed in flames. We lost some lower limbs, the storage was safe but the truck was totaled, nothing left, but scrap metal.

Take proper care of those rags. It’s no joke. Sorry about the long story, but it was one scary night.

Jesus, that’s one hell of a story, even though it was bad enough, it could have been much worse than it was,

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah I must of missed it when you first posted it, but stories like this helps showcase what we should be watching out for.

redwood
    Pro

yah I must of missed it when you first posted it, but stories like this helps showcase what we should be watching out for.

Well here you go.

http://bethepro.com/ultimate-guide-for-how-to-stain-a-deck/

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

Well here you go.

Great article Mark!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Well here you go.

Thanks, Mark, that article is a definite keeper. I’m going to be restaining my deck in the spring and staining a fence and gate I built this summer. All that information will be invaluable.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That grinder wheel was grousom!!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That grinder wheel was grousom!!

View post on imgur.com

here is one where protection was worn.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I wonder how this shield will work against that grinder blade lol

View post on imgur.com

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 910 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.385 seconds