dcsimg

PSA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 910 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

linseed oil, I am sure most of you guys know this but a regular reminder doesn’t hurt.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

A very timely reminder. Thanks @r-ice

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Watco Oil stains will do the same thing. My wife had stained something at home about 25 years ago when I was not home and threw the rags in the trash. We woke up in the middle of the night to a house full of smoke. We were lucky, it was just smoldering at the time and fortunate we were home. We ended up with a little smoke damage was all.

It was the first time she had stained something herself and had never noticed that when we had done it together that I spread out all of the rags to dry instead of tossing them in a garbage can. I did not think to check out what she had done with the rags. She is very careful about spreading them out to dry now.

It is definitely a danger, Coming from someone who has experienced it.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thanks for the info, I did not know about this.

Something to keep in mind. I added one of these to the shop as an extra precaution. I do not want to wake up to a fire.

Attachments:
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Thanks for the info, I did not know about this.

Same here, mind you I don’t do any wood staining but I do use other automotive chemicals and leave the rags outside of the garage until dry.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That was unbelievable, thanks for the PSA.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I can’t say that I’m the best at disposing rags after staining. The generally end up in the trash…after seeing this, I’ll take more care.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Any oil product, even wipe on Poly. The rag goes outside into a metal can with water in it.

Even the off cuts from fiberglass can smoke, even if you think they are cured.

A few years back the museum was doing a big reno and spraying foam and fiberglass. Had a huge fire, there was a pic on the news and it was said “cause of fire under investigation” I knew what it was right away.

The fiberglass overspray was swept up and put in a garbage can, witch went up in flames. Should have been put outside, way away from any building.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I usually dunk the rags in water before throwing them out.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

From now on I’m just burning the rags.

Doobie

Any VOC I either lay out to dry completely overnite putside weather and wind permitting, or toss in empty paint can with water and seal the can to be brought to the harmful chemical waste station.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Any VOC I either lay out to dry completely overnite putside weather and wind permitting, or toss in empty paint can with water and seal the can to be brought to the harmful chemical waste station.

what is a VOC?
    I just lay them out and let them dry, they dry super fast and you don’t have to worry about your house burning down.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Any oil product, even wipe on Poly. The rag goes outside into a metal can with water in it.

I didn’t know that about WOP. I’m usually careful about rags but now will take extra care.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

what is a VOC?
    I just lay them out and let them dry, they dry super fast and you don’t have to worry about your house burning down.

Voltatile organic compound, basically smelly solvent-ish stuff.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Holy crap I didn’t know about this, I’ve always thrown rags in the trash. Usually the outside trash but that’s just a plastic can with plenty of other flammables from normal household trash, Newspaper etc

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Actually it has to be Boiled linseed oil for spontaneous combustion, raw linseed oil is fine.

Oily rags are no joke!! We re-built a home for a client after there house burned to the ground…the cause was oily rags in the garage after he finished staining a door.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

what is a VOC?

Voltatile organic compound, basically smelly solvent-ish stuff.

Jie is right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatile_organic_compound

Oily rags are no joke!! We re-built a home for a client after there house burned to the ground…the cause was oily rags in the garage after he finished staining a door.

There was a house last year that blew up when the guys doing the floor didn’t ventilate enough. It’s pretty serious stuff what the off gasing can do.

Last year, I stained a fence with Penofin oil that runs between mine and my neighbors house about for 40 feet and continues another 60 feet to the end of our yards. The off gasing overnite was unreal. Both our houses stunk like crazy overnite just from the off-gasing wafting it’s way into our soffits and permeating into our houses. Real stinky sleep that nite.

Another excellent point to go along with this PSA @Doobie! When sanding old finish off of hardwood floors or old cabinets, the sanding can create heat and if the sawdust is in a container, the heat can get hot enough combined with the old finish and start on fire.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 910 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.163 seconds