dcsimg

PSA: EPA ban on methylene chloride

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Kamster
    Pro

Just saw am EPA announcement about the ban on the retail sales of methylene chloride for household use. Ban takes effect 180 days from today.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-bans-consumer-sales-methylene-chloride-paint-removers-protecting-public

Mostly used in paint strippers and parts cleaners. You can check the list of products that contain methylene chloride on this page

https://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/search?tbl=TblChemicals&queryx=75-09-2

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Oh, no! About the best paint stripper I have found. I just hope the ban is not picked up by our environment police here.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Unbelievable,,,, Is this happening in the US?? The gobberment saving us from ourselves.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Just saw am EPA announcement about the ban on the retail sales of methylene chloride for household use.

Wow that will impact things, paint strippers and parts cleaners about to get less effective.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro

It does point out “A variety of effective, less harmful substitutes are readily available for paint removal.”. My question is, how less effective are those alternative products that don’t contain methelyne chloride at doing the same task(s)?

A lot of chemicals get banned, often because of their links to long term exposure causing cancer, but this one is apparently simply that you can even pass out and die while using it.

I dunno, doesn’t seem that nutty banning this one. A lot of folks, myself included, don’t necessarily read the labels or realize how serious what is said on labels about a product’s dangers.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

A lot of folks, myself included, don’t necessarily read the labels or realize how serious what is said on labels about a product’s dangers.

That’s mainly the reason products like this get to be banned.

I’ve used it safely for over 50 years and I will miss it if the ban is extended to Canada.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Kamster
    Pro

If you feel that you *need* to have a specific product then at least if you are in the US, you have 6 months to get any remaining stock from a retailer. Up here in Canada, who knows…

64 known deaths – that’s a lot

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

64 known deaths – that’s a lot

64 deaths is nothing,,, , 518 were killed with hammers and blunt objects. Should hammers be banned??? How many drown in swimming pools??? Should swimming pools be banned?? The gobberment playing mommy.
    Illegal opioids killed over 15,000 in the US in ’17 should they be banned,,, oh yea they are.

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s 64 people in 38 years LOL!!! That’s less than 2 a year. I would say methylene chloride is the least of our problems!!!
    https://saferchemicals.org/us-deaths-from-methylene-chloride/
    Nanny State!

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I am glad we really do not use strippers. I am waiting for a ban on Lacquer and Lacquer thinner. that will really be a sloo. I see the day when anything with VOC’s are banned.

They quit selling our favorite acoustical caulk this year and went to a non VOC type.

Doobie
    Pro

I haven’t even seen strippers in years, never mind smelling them up close, what do I care if they get banned. 😉

😆

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I see the day when anything with VOC’s are banned.

Yep slowly but surely they have been banning them little by little. Each ban and some other cleaner or product that used to work really well now no longer works right or takes a long time. You can tell the people doing the banning don’t work in the field.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I see the day when anything with VOC’s are banned.

Yep slowly but surely they have been banning them little by little. Each ban and some other cleaner or product that used to work really well now no longer works right or takes a long time. You can tell the people doing the banning don’t work in the field.

In a green certification VOC’s are a definite no-no. Everything is about low or no VOC’s.

I really like being able to have Lacquer dry in an hour or less if necessary. the water based finishes seem to take a day or more depending on weather.

I hope I have hung it up before the VOC’s are banned. It will not be fun anymore at that time.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I really like being able to have Lacquer dry in an hour or less if necessary. the water based finishes seem to take a day or more depending on weather.

Even Krylon paint takes longer to dry. They used to advertise dry to the touch in 10 min. No more.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Well my can of PVC primer smells good in the morning next to my coffee.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.489 seconds