dcsimg

Protecting your Boots

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

We have a lot of salt here and it seems to damage everything it comes in contact with.

yah salt over here during the winters cracks the boots, when the company supplied the boots we didn’t care as we had to change them out every 6 months anyways, now that i don’t get the boots. I try to replace the insoles every so often as well as the sole of the boot. I have to use all sorts of products to keep them looking shiny and new.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Whenever I buy new boots (or even regular shoes), be it leather or cloth, I paint the exterior with a good soaking of silicone waterproofer for tents. It’ll make the material stiffer but the water resistance is unreal. the ones that I did three years ago still beads water.

Except the ones you have to put shoe polish on, didn’t want to ruin the finish on those.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

We have a lot of salt here and it seems to damage everything it comes in contact with.

yah salt over here during the winters cracks the boots, when the company supplied the boots we didn’t care as we had to change them out every 6 months anyways, now that i don’t get the boots. I try to replace the insoles every so often as well as the sole of the boot. I have to use all sorts of products to keep them looking shiny and new.

Tell me about it! Salt will be everywhere once the plows start up. You would think they would have something besides salt that could be used.

A Working Pro since 2004

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Laval (the island north of Montreal) is using sugar beet extract this year, we’ll see how that goes.

yellaD
    Pro

Do you mean they’re using sugar beet extract instead of salt or for protecting boots?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Whenever I buy new boots (or even regular shoes), be it leather or cloth, I paint the exterior with a good soaking of silicone waterproofer for tents. It’ll make the material stiffer but the water resistance is unreal. the ones that I did three years ago still beads water.

Except the ones you have to put shoe polish on, didn’t want to ruin the finish on those.

don’t you have to put polish on the black boots? I mean all my boots need to be polished, I guess thats what I am doing this weekend, before the snow really gets going.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

If the boots are natural in colour I have used Neatsfoot Oil.

http://www.tannergoods.com/products/neatsfoot-oil

Best stuff out there to keep leather soft and supple.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Do you mean they’re using sugar beet extract instead of salt or for protecting boots?

To spread on the road after snow instead of salt, so hopefully no more ugly salt stains on boots.

don’t you have to put polish on the black boots? I mean all my boots need to be polished, I guess thats what I am doing this weekend, before the snow really gets going.

I only have one pair of black winter boots and I use polish on it instead of waterproofer (and only wear it on non-slushy days). All my other boots are natural/suede finish so they get silicone waterproofer.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

To spread on the road after snow instead of salt, so hopefully no more ugly salt stains on boots.

@jzmtl
    Now your boots will be red from the beets instead of white from the salt. LOL

They do use a brine on the highways here in Ontario.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

lots of different views and situations here. Pretty good read

When I get a new pair of boots ,wet then down, wear them till they are dry, then use mink oil. They really form to the foot while the leather becomes soft and comfortable

For real leather boots I prefer boot oil. Redwings have a boot oil that keeps the leather soft and water resistant. For mixed materials boots I use the waterproofing spray.

Also if I am going to be in snow or mud I use Tingley shoe covers…or shoe rubbers…

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@jzmtl,

that would be interesting if the red stays in the beet concoction lol.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

@jzmtl,

that would be interesting if the red stays in the beet concoction lol.

If that happens I’m sure we’ll hear on it news, luckily I live on the other side of the island so I won’t have to find out first hand.

If it works out all the better though, I could never get the good grass to grow on the strip next to the sidewalk.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

For real leather boots I prefer boot oil. Redwings have a boot oil that keeps the leather soft and water resistant. For mixed materials boots I use the waterproofing spray.

Also if I am going to be in snow or mud I use Tingley shoe covers…or shoe rubbers…

I do like the Red Wing boot oil. I have been using it on my Keen boot sense day one. And they still look new when I clean them up.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I know this thread is a bit older but its the right one to bring back to life.
    So I recently purchase some Keen Pittsburgh Boots and will get some Braddock’s soon too.
    What can you guys suggest to protect/seal the boots/shoes for extreme dry & hot weather, harsh sun, high UV light, dust and sand, sometimes a bit rain too. during the winter they will see some colder temps with snow.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I know this thread is a bit older but its the right one to bring back to life.
    So I recently purchase some Keen Pittsburgh Boots and will get some Braddock’s soon too.
    What can you guys suggest to protect/seal the boots/shoes for extreme dry & hot weather, harsh sun, high UV light, dust and sand, sometimes a bit rain too. during the winter they will see some colder temps with snow.

Mine came with a waterproof coating and I don’t do anything to protect them . The bottoms will ware off them before anything on the top fails.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Keen Pittsburgh Boots

hmm the sole and the back seem to be synthetic material. i don’t think that portion will need much spray or protection. The leather part you could use neatsfoot like @58chev said.

I do wonder how well the water repellent spray that home depot sells would work on the uppers.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have tried lots of things over the years, ended up with going back to mink oil. More of a natural product and probably the base for most name brand products. I did have good results with “Dubbin”, not sure if it is still on the shelves though. As I get older I find that the traditional natural things work really well. There is a reason they have stood the test of time. Sometimes they have to be applied a bit more often though. I try to avoid anything with silicone in it. For no particular reason other than I have been trying to avoid things with silicone in them as I get older. That being said, I do have a spray can of silicone spray they I use on things now and then.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I remember back in the day when all you had was black or brown boots, once a week they would have to be “polished” to a shine using Kiwi boot polish. Without the polish you boot leather soon cracked and split no to mention start to let in the wet.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I remember back in the day when all you had was black or brown boots, once a week they would have to be “polished” to a shine using Kiwi boot polish. Without the polish you boot leather soon cracked and split no to mention start to let in the wet.

yah most of my boots right now are pure black and leather, that is why during the winter i have to polish it up quite a bit to prevent the salts and stuff from cracking them. Kiwi boot polish is what i use on the pure black leather boots.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.541 seconds