dcsimg

Protecting your Boots

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

I had my boots out in the messy slush and wet snow today and the wax seemed to repel everything and keep the boots dry and clean. The Keen boots have a waterproof membrane in them so I’m not worried about keeping water away from my feet but I figure it will help the leather last longer to repel it rather than letting it soak in.

Dan

danpattison.com

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have always used beeswax on my boots, usually re-applying right before winter. It has worked well keeping them dry and protecting from snow and salt.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’ve used wax, oil and silicone spray. Nikwax is supposed to be a good product. I have a few samples, but not the leather waterproof, haven’t tried the others yet
    http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/productselector/productselector.php
    If you click on the “WebQuiz” at the top and get the answers correct (they give you clues) they will send you the featured sample. I think you can take the quiz every 2 months

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I always buy Redwing boot oil, I am not sure if thats better then anything else but it seems to work for me. I apply it about every other month. It keeps the boots waterproof and the dirt seems to wipe off easier.
    Whatever you do, do not buy never wet from Home depot for your boots, the guy that works for me tried them in his new redwings and they turned them a hazy purple.

I you click on the “WebQuiz” at the top and get the answers correct (they give you clues) they will send you the featured sample. I think you can take the quiz every 2 months

Thanks for the link to this website Charles. I have never heard of this company but they have some interesting products.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have never put anything on my boots

Salt used to melt snow can be murder on leather shoes — using something to repel it is a great idea. I usually do not treat my shoes at all — I probably should, but I usually wear through the tread long before the leather starts to look really bad.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I try to stay away from leather, I find synthetics are cooler.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I try to stay away from leather, I find synthetics are cooler.

They tend to breath a lot better than leather. But leather I find to me more durable.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve been using power on my feet everyday now and that helps with comfort.

woodman_412

You guys that use wax based products, how often do you usually reapply? I’m thinking I’ll probably do it every couple weeks or so through the winter. I like my new Keen boots so much that I want to keep them looking good. It’s hard getting them dirty when they look so great.

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

A lot depends on how much I wear them. I would say 2 – 3 weeks and more often it the area I am working is more abrasive to them.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I always apply a heavy coat of beeswax right before fall/winter then apply additional coats about once a month maybe a little more frequently depending on how bad the weather has been.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

It varies depending on how much I wear them, the conditions, etc. I can always tell when they need a new coat just by looking. Kinda like the old days when we shined shoes.

woodman_412

Thanks for the tips guys. I’ll probably try every couple weeks and see how that works. So far they haven’t been getting very wet since it’s been very cold here, just mostly snow and sawdust.

Dan

danpattison.com

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I had my boots out in the messy slush and wet snow today and the wax seemed to repel everything and keep the boots dry and clean. The Keen boots have a waterproof membrane in them so I’m not worried about keeping water away from my feet but I figure it will help the leather last longer to repel it rather than letting it soak in.

Dan, how is that wax holding up to the salt in the winter? I find that the salt is what hits my leather the hardest in winter.

Salt used to melt snow can be murder on leather shoes — using something to repel it is a great idea. I usually do not treat my shoes at all — I probably should, but I usually wear through the tread long before the leather starts to look really bad.

I haven’t worn mine a ton outside to face this issue, but I know my wife’s fancy boots are having to deal with it. I am starting to think some beeswax is a good option for protecting her boots as well… Do you guys have any brands in particular you favor?

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We have a lot of salt here and it seems to damage everything it comes in contact with.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

ill saddle soap every so often. I find that working with the steel and the drywall dust drying them out so fast i would put too much time in to protecting them.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

ill saddle soap every so often. I find that working with the steel and the drywall dust drying them out so fast i would put too much time in to protecting them.

I have used the saddle soap too. Is it good to use on boots and leather?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.530 seconds