dcsimg

Protecting cast iron from rust

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

I haven’t tried it yet. Still working on a tube of Waxilit from when LVT carried that. If anyone tries the Conservator’s Wax please let us know how it works.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

i use car wax, works well thus far

How long would the car wax lasts ?

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

<P>i use car wax, works well thus far</P>

<P>How long would the car wax lasts ? </P>

It depends on how thickly (how many coats) you put on, how hard it is, and then how much you use the table and wear it off. I’ve used my table for a spot for a quick glue-up (dumb) and dripped glue on it (dumber). Then had to take a razor blade to get the glue off and that takes some wax off.
    Wax is cheap at $10 a can and it lasts. Keep a dedicated can for your tables and leave the application rag in the can. Some people give it a quick wipe every few weeks. I’m more likely to do it every three months, or at least twice a year – once in the fall and once in the spring – one in prep for Winter and once after cleanup in the Spring. I spend a lot less time in the shop when it’s cold since it’s not heated.
    Since it’s so humid where we are, more often is better. Hot days and cool nights can actually form dew on a table.
    (Hope you didn’t get any of the recent high water.)

Nothing wrong with Johnson or MinWax paste wax. Does the job just fine. Neither one contains silicone, unlike turtle wax. Silicone is a no-no on your table top surface, if you move wood across the cast surface, the silicone will transfer to your wood and wreck your finish.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

if you move wood across the cast surface, the silicone will transfer to your wood and wreck your finish.

Very good point.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This is what happens when you use a silicone based wax on your table saw and it transfers to the wood. When you go to finish, you get what is known as “fish eyes” and it ruins the finish. Not a nice feeling when you’ve put so much work into a project.

Even trying to sand it out is difficult. I’d stay away from any of the automotive waxes and stick to the Johnson’s or MinWax (up here in Canada).

if you move wood across the cast surface, the silicone will transfer to your wood and wreck your finish.

Very good point.

Attachments:
    BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

This is what happens when you use a silicone based wax on your table saw and it transfers to the wood. When you go to finish, you get what is known as “fish eyes” and it ruins the finish. Not a nice feeling when you’ve put so much work into a project.

Even trying to sand it out is difficult. I’d stay away from any of the automotive waxes and stick to the Johnson’s or MinWax (up here in Canada).

Very good point.

Thanks for pointing this out. I would have never though of such consequences.

BryanT

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

paste wax, double coat..

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

geordie99

Will it produce “fish eye” like geordie99 mentioned above?

BryanT

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

geordie99

Why do you constantly ask questions that have already been answered ? Geordie answered that in the post you replied to just over an hour ago… don’t you read the posts ?

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

geordie99

Why do you constantly ask questions that have already been answered ? Geordie answered that in the post you replied to just over an hour ago… don’t you read the posts ?

I think you answered your own question, we’ve had this discussion in the past as well, several times, I have asked the same thing, several times. Some people will never get it.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

I have a cast iron, in my shop.
    Never seen fish eyes yet..

2 coats rubbed real good, not smeared on like peanut butter..

OK…..@BryanT – you guys have lost me. Please tell me that you aren’t looking for “fish eyes” on the cast iron table.

@jaydee
    is right in using paste wax – no silicone base. But if he is looking for fish eyes on his cast iron table, he’ll never find them………

Where you will get “fish eyes” is when you use a silicone based wax – NOT paste wax on your cast iron table. The Silicone wax will transfer to your wood, as you move it across your saw or whatever cast iron surface you have applied the silicone wax to.

When you apply a finish to the wood, THAT is when you will see the formation of the “fish eyes”. It’s on the wood, NOT the cast iron table.

Thought I had explained that ok in my original post but again, maybe not…

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-12-15/entertainment/8903180494_1_varnish-silicones-fish-eyes

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

fish eyes on your project after finishing…

Table saw does fish eye when I spill my beer on it.
    But it rolls right off.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I have used Renaissance wax on black powder firearms and it is wonderful stuff. I have also used a product called Ballistol. It really works well for rust prevention. It comes in either liquid or aerosol. It was developed by the Germans back during the world wars.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

OK…..@BryanT – you guys have lost me. Please tell me that you aren’t looking for “fish eyes” on the cast iron table.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

OK….. @BryanT – you guys have lost me. Please tell me that you aren’t looking for “fish eyes” on the cast iron table.

I don’t like fish eyes but my son gobbles em up.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

OK…..BryanT – you guys have lost me. Please tell me that you aren’t looking for “fish eyes” on the cast iron table.

They say that fish eyes are a delicacy and taste good, But I don’t see myself trying them.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

OK…..BryanT – you guys have lost me. Please tell me that you aren’t looking for “fish eyes” on the cast iron table.

They say that fish eyes are a delicacy and taste good, But I don’t see myself trying them.

Yeah, I rather look at my food than have my food look at me

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

Thank you for sharing.

fish eyes on your project after finishing…

Table saw does fish eye when I spill my beer on it.
    But it rolls right off.

LOL.

BryanT

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.519 seconds