dcsimg

prescription saftey glasses

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

hey guys,

now that summer is basically here and i do a fair amount of work outside sungalsses are a must. i wear prescription glasses.. however my sunglasses dont really stay on very well when working. so im stuck with wearing saftey glasses over my regular glasses.. its really uncomfortable and looks just plain stupid… i feel like i should be in a blueblocker add with a bunch of 90 yr olds… sorry leo (inside joke that kent will get).

anyhow i was looking at prescription saftey glasses saturday.. they can make them with transition lenses. im probably going to order some later this week.. does anyone else wear them? is it worth it?

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I never knew you could even get them .Once you get in your 40s your eyes start to get bad anyway . If I try to read anything with out glasses now it is a big blur 🙁

woodman_412

Jeff, I’m looking at getting some prescription safetys too. I was looking at some a couple weeks ago made by 3M. I have to get an updated eye exam before I get some though to make sure my prescription hasn’t changed. I’m finding that I’m needing my prescription glasses more when I’m working and that they don’t give good enough coverage for some things.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Mine are not safety glasses per say, but they have the poly carbonate lenses and do transition in the sun. Well worth it, I’m sure.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

true dan. ill be buying through sears they only have 2 models. but they have the best deal going right now 40% off. my last eye exam was a year and a half ago but my prescription hasnt changed in 7 years so im going to go with what i have.. the only reason i have trouble seeing is do to my glases getting too scratched up lol

kzcarp
    Pro

I’ve run prescription safety’s for the last 15 years. The basic black
    Elvis Costello frames. Never had tinted safety’s though. They are the least expensive frame at my eye doctors office, think I pay about 200. USD for a pair. Only got two eyes, gotta keep them safe.

kevin

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I do like Mark and use polycarbonate lenses for my “safety” glasses. I usually put a pair of side shields on them too. I don’t really like the transitions lenses. I seem to always be working in half light half dark and the stupid lenses always guess wrong. Transistions II were even worse and would get dark and stay that way for hours once I got inside. Couldn’t stand them.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I don’t need glasses, yet ! I can see a gnat at 100 yds out lol. What I have trouble with is fine print and seeing a tape clearly… for that I use reading glasses, gets to be a pita switching between reading glasses and safety glasses !

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Charles I had a pair of safety glasses that were plain for most the lenses but a dime sized area towards the bottom that had reading glasses magnification. I used them for a while before I had to have bifocals. At that point I couldn’t see out of either area.

woodman_412

I’m hoping to get an updated eye exam next week and then pick out some prescription safetys. I’ll let you guys know what I end up getting. I’m finding that my regular glasses just aren’t giving enough coverage and I’m getting a lot of dust in my eyes.

Dan

danpattison.com

kzcarp
    Pro

Check out page 11, Air Seal
    http://www.aearo.com/aosafetysrx.com/pdf/3M_2012_Catalog_SRx_Page_Final_rev3.pdf

Those are the stuff!

kevin

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

the weird thing for me is that based on my prescription and how much thinning i get done to the lenses their borderling saftey lenses anyway minus the side protection.. my current glasses give quite a bit of coverage.. the only problem with wearing saftey glasses over them is that it creates a wind tunnel effect which causes more dust to come up into my eyes.. its the projectiles thats more of a worry

cranbrook2
    Pro

I don,t have a problem seeing long distance but now when I try to read something on paper it is all blurry

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

John. L wrote:I don,t have a problem seeing long distance but now when I try to read something on paper it is all blurry

I’ve been saying for years, it’s not my eyes….. they keep making the print smaller !! 🙂

cranbrook2
    Pro

For the longest time now I stopped reading and I just recently realized it is because I couldn,t see the writing .I picked up a cheap pair of glasses at the dollar store and right away I couild see everything clearly after that .

redwood
    Pro

You guys need to be thankful if all you need is a pair of glasses.

About 8 years ago, I woke up and could not see out of my left eye. It was diagnosed as optic neuritis (a inflamation of the optic nerves). I was a outpatient at the hospital for a week so they could pump me full of steroids to reduce the inflamation. It had mixed results. I’m still legally blind in that eye, but have a little periphery vision. I have very poor depth perception because of it.

About 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with cateracts. They recommended that I wait as long as possible for surgery since I was already blind in one eye, why take any risk.

Last summer, the cateracts were bad enough that I could no longer safely drive. In the Fall, I had cateract surgery and all is pretty good again. I still need glasses and I’m still essentially blind in one eye, but it is so much better then the previous couple of years.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

cranbrook2
    Pro

My mother and father both had cateracts .I couldn,t imagine not being able to see 🙁

woodman_412

Hearing what you’ve gone through certainly does make me thankful Mark. Vision is something that’s easy to take for granted until you don’t have it anymore or it’s impaired in some way.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Luckily, my boys were working for me last summer. They drove me to work and put the drops in my eyes for the month after surgery.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Mark,
    Does working on the computer give you bad eye strain?

I had a couple of injuries to my eyes over time and long sessions on the computer give me fits.

Just to give people a thought about eye safety. Worst injury I had was when I had a fiberglass pole break and a tiny sliver of fiberglass stuck in my eye. I didn’t notice it for about a day. I had some burning but I just thought it was tiredness. I couldn’t get in to see anybody until 3 days later due to a weekend and holiday. When I did get in the doctor actually use a insulin syringe to dig out the fiberglass just like you would dig a splinter out of your hand. I could actually hear it as he scratched away at the fiberglass.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.522 seconds