dcsimg

Preferred Joinery

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

I have both Dominos and am hooked. Once you get used to using it, it really is a game changer.

I’ve never used dowels, so while I know how they work, I don’t want one anyways.

I have used prior to getting a Domino, Kreg pocket hole jig, Porter Cable biscuiter, Leigh FMT and Leigh D4 Pro. I’ve kept all these tools and they still get used occasionally and still have their place as a preferentisl method, but the Dominos gets to come out and play 90 plus percent of the time since i got ny first one.

I’m curious as to what you think about the Seneca WW domiplates, shims and cutters for the Domino? The endmills that allow your 700 to cut smaller mortises are intereting?

I still prefer M&T for the few pieces of fine furniture I do, that said I do have a biscuit jointer, and a Kreg jig both of which see occasional use where appropriate.

Will

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The nicest looking joint for me is still the dove tail. I don’t really care if they are hand cut or mechanical. Both take a certain skill set. That being said I prob wouldn’t do them on my own pieces. Just to much time involved.

If I can get a decent glue joint I still use the good old screw to fasten. Seems to work on lots of items.

My Kreg jig has been used a LOT since I’ve gotten it. I’m on my 3rd order of screw I think and I’m ordering in 1000 piece lots. I still can’t get rid of the slight alignment issue when I use them but for 90% of what I do with them is doesn’t matter.

My domino is an absolute pleasure to use and I think it’s the beez knees. But it’s expensive. 1000$ plus just to start and then get a vac and dominos. The joints are incredible strong and open up a world of possibilities. Can be used like a M&T for most furniture.

If I was doing it again I might start with the Mafell dowler. It’s pretty cool too.

For cabinet work, I think the good old biscuit rules the roost. I think it’s the clamex?? they have for break down furniture is pretty cool.

For anything I’ve ever made, all the above has been more then strong enough for a joint. The surrounding would fails first in my experience.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

My Kreg jig has been used a LOT since I’ve gotten it. I’m on my 3rd order of screw I think and I’m ordering in 1000 piece lots. I still can’t get rid of the slight alignment issue when I use them but for 90% of what I do with them is doesn’t matter.

When I do face frames with the kreg jig I use a piece of melamine under it laying on the work bench. Lay the 2 pieces you are joining on it and I use the vice grips with the pads and clamp it to the melamine on top of both the pieces being joined. Then run the screws in.
    I always come out good doing it this way.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

obviously i use different joinery depending on the project or goal. But if i had to pick one that i use the most it would be pocket holes

Doobie

My domino is an absolute pleasure to use and I think it’s the beez knees.

I’ll second that!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

obviously i use different joinery depending on the project or goal. But if i had to pick one that i use the most it would be pocket holes

I definitely have a soft spot for my Kreg. There are times when it’s not desirable, but it’s just sooo dang easy to use that I keep coming back for more.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The nicest looking joint for me is still the dove tail.

I like the look of the doves tail too and it is as strong as any if not stronger.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have both Dominos and am hooked. Once you get used to using it, it really is a game changer.

I’ve never used dowels, so while I know how they work, I don’t want one anyways.

I have used prior to getting a Domino, Kreg pocket hole jig, Porter Cable biscuiter, Leigh FMT and Leigh D4 Pro. I’ve kept all these tools and they still get used occasionally and still have their place as a preferentisl method, but the Dominos gets to come out and play 90 plus percent of the time since i got ny first one.

I’m curious as to what you think about the Seneca WW domiplates, shims and cutters for the Domino? The endmills that allow your 700 to cut smaller mortises are intereting?

I don’t think he would’ve used them as he has both of them. Wouldn’t the seneca bits put more wear and tear on the machine itself?

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have not tried to much joinery yet. I haven’t made anything which requires M & T or Dovetails. I have a 2 Kregs jig. I have the Kreg R3 & the K2 Kreg jig I think it is K2 Kreg jig. Would it be classed a vintage tool. I have a biscult jointer. I think I have used it 2 or 3 times to help with alignment on boards for glues up. It didn’t go well so I have used in 6 or 7 years.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have not tried to much joinery yet.

I don’t do any fancy joinery either. I do more simple stuff.

Dirty

Doobie

I don’t think he would’ve used them as he has both of them. Wouldn’t the seneca bits put more wear and tear on the machine itself?

Yes. I believe that.

yellaD
    Pro

Didn’t someone say they had one of these?
    http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/mafell/MAF-DD40P.html

It can dowel 3/16″ up to 5/16″.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I don’t have one but I may have bought it if I didn’t have my domino and my FSN OFA for shelf pins. It’s a pretty versatile machine.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Did a mitered frame for a cork board today. Wife tried the dowelmax for the first time – she is not handy.

She found it perfectly easy, and there are no visible connectors, unlike a keg jig

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Didn’t someone say they had one of these?
    http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/mafell/MAF-DD40P.html

It can dowel 3/16″ up to 5/16″.

would you consider the duo dowler over the festool domino? i mean the end set up would be cheaper to the dowels as you can make the dowels.

I’m more of an old school kinda guy. I like butt joints & 45 degree joints but I do like to use pocket screws. I feel there pretty strong & I haven’t had one fail on me yet.

Doobie

I looked at getting a duo doweller before getting my first Domino. Determined that the Domino was superior in many respects. After getting used to the Domino and it’s functionality over time, I believe a duo doweler would have been a wasted purchase for me if I also owned a Domino.

yellaD
    Pro

Yeah, for sure it woud be redundant, expensive too! Just wondering what if you didn’t have any Domino joiners, this would be buying one cool (and expensive) tool, vs two amazing (and expensive) tools? From all I’ve researched and heard from users, the Domino is the best. I’ve not heard such glowing reviews for the DD, is it because of scarcity or “inferior”?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m more of an old school kinda guy. I like butt joints & 45 degree joints but I do like to use pocket screws. I feel there pretty strong & I haven’t had one fail on me yet.

The pocket is as about as fancy as I get too.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.452 seconds