dcsimg

Preferred Joinery

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author

This comes over from a discussion about uses for the colt router, and sort of became a thread in itself

joint, a Domino joint or a lap joint, for that matter in a carcase, a face frame or a door?

IMO the question of relative strength is moot. The choice of joint is a personal one and reflects the most esthetically pleasing or fastest or most convenient for each job.

I have had pocket screw joints fail, in cedar. I have also had M&T failures where I made them too tight and it blew apart

I used to think the old fashioned joints were best, and that dominos, nails, kregs, and even dowels were somehow cheating. Then I did a few projects with dozens of M&T joints and realized it stopped being fun.

Now I mostly use a dowelmax for doweling on almost every project, and dont turn my nose up at nails and screws (at least in certain applications) and find the Kreg great where it will be hidden (like in face frames)

I would love a domino, but not at that price for my usage. If ever someone makes a similar version, but at non-festool prices, I will consider it. Kind of like I wont pay for a rotax, but will pay for a bosch sander at under 1/4 the price

What joinery do you like to use, and when?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks for getting this one started, Eric.

Because I do a lot of traditional designs, I tend to M & T and dovetail joints. For less traditional stuff I lean towards biscuits.

Reasoning is purely habit and convenience. I have a biscuit joiner and a good supply of biscuits and I do enjoy the more traditional joinery for relaxation.

For M & T joints I use the TS, Drill Press and hand tools. With the new Colt, I will be using that more for mortises.

For dovetails, I have used the bandsaw and handtools. Never tried them on the TS or with a router.

My budget has not allowed me to venture into Domino or Kreg territory.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Well, you probably know my answer if you have watched my videos. I love doing hand cut joinery. Mainly because I need the practice. Though I am not above doing it with power tools too. It all depends on what I feel like at the time, the joint I am creating, and weather I feel up it is something I want to try, or if I want to stick to another method I am accustomed to.

I think things like pocket screws and dominos are all viable ways of joining wood together, though I do not use either method. My goals right now are to learn the basic skills with basic tools. Part of me is still stuck in the 18th century and part of me is a technoholic.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

For dovetails, I have used the bandsaw and handtools. Never tried them on the TS or with a router.

I have a porter cable dovetail jig, and have never even taken it out of the box. Bothers me every time I think of it, but I never seem to have time to take on the learning curve and doing a few test joints to get my eye in

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I use pocket screws and biscuits the most. If I had a domino, it would be domino. Price is usually never at the top five reasons I buy a tool. If it is expensive, I know I just need to save more.

Being that I am more carpenter than woodworker, I don’t invest in the tools I want as much I would like. More carpenter for work and woodworker for pleasure.I built a few doors for my house and I made them using M&T with nothing but a table saw. They turned out great but if I had that domino XL, that is how I would have joined them together.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Depends on the product for me. When doing fine woodworking, I like to hand cut my dovetails so that I can fuss over them endlessly. I also like to drawbore my tenons when I use M & T when applicable. I have also been experimenting with pegged rabbet joints in drawers as well when I don’t have time to dovetail (or when it’s not in the budget for the customer).
    When face framing, which I don’t do a lot of, I am amenable to the Kreg pocket hole jig, but not for cabinet doors. For those I use floating panels with stub tenon and groove mostly, a remnant of watching Woodsmith Shop for too long.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I have the Domino, and I typically only use it for fine work where I want to make sure I’m hiding a fastener or for a joint that I know is going to take a lot of load. If a 18 ga brad will do the job that’s what I do, if not I will use a pocket hole, then the Domino. Really depends on the project. I saw a video once of a guy doing interior trim and joining all of his mitres with Dominos, you won’t catch me doing that especially getting paid by the foot.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

It depends on the project. I use a lot of biscuits, love my Kreg jig, dovetail joints (machine and hand cut), box joints….

I would also love to have a Domino but the price is pretty steep.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Doobie

I have both Dominos and am hooked. Once you get used to using it, it really is a game changer.

I’ve never used dowels, so while I know how they work, I don’t want one anyways.

I have used prior to getting a Domino, Kreg pocket hole jig, Porter Cable biscuiter, Leigh FMT and Leigh D4 Pro. I’ve kept all these tools and they still get used occasionally and still have their place as a preferentisl method, but the Dominos gets to come out and play 90 plus percent of the time since i got ny first one.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Pretty much the same as others use. I think different methods for different things. I love my kreg jig. I like m&t joints.
    I wonder why Bosch hasn’t come up with a domino machine?
    I’m sure it would be great quality and much cheaper. Maybe a patient issue?

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I like all different types of joinery , they all have their place .I also really appreciate European and Chinese joinery .

redwood
    Pro

As I was mostly a exterior contractor most of my life, I did not really use fancy joinery. Miters with glue and screws mostly. I built a few fancy gates where I used a biscuit joiner a bit and pocket screws with the Kreg jig for a lot of things. I picked up a domino after going to a Festool Clinic. I was sold.

As much as I think I would enjoy dovetail and M&T joinery, I just don’t seem to have the time. Maybe in my next life.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

yellaD
    Pro

I am into M+T and hand cut dovetails, mainly because I don’t have all the tools and jigs to do pocket holes, dominos, double dowellers. If I had any or all of those goodies, I’d use it but would still be fine tuning by hand. I watch and read a ton about Japanese woodworking, absorbing only some….

It depends would be my response. Kreg pocket holes with face frames, dowels on occasion, miters, lap joints, M&T, and box joints. Waiting to do some dovetails on the next project with drawers.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’d love to be able to say that I do a lot of M&T joinery, but I just don’t have the need for it very often. Typically, I’ll use my Kreg jig or some type of through screwing depending upon how the two pieces meet.

I do reach for my biscuit joiner occasionally, but that is almost always for alignment reasons as opposed to achieving a strong joint.

I wonder why Bosch hasn’t come up with a domino machine?
    I’m sure it would be great quality and much cheaper. Maybe a patient issue?

This has come up here before..and I believe the issue is patent related. That said, if you’ll recall when Fein’s patent ran out on their OMT, the market was quickly flooded. I would think that at the patent expiration date approaches that companies will begin to develop their own version of the domino. Patents only apply to selling an item…not doing research and development on a similar version scheduled for release after a patent expires.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I used to think the old fashioned joints were best, and that dominos, nails, kregs, and even dowels were somehow cheating.

How is it cheating??? The Japanese have been doing it for thousands of years and they are not cheating.

Kind of like I wont pay for a rotax,

I don’t know anything about the rotax but the Festool ROTEX 150 is worth every penny. Sanders is one tool that Festool leaves everyone else in the dust.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

@roninohio

The Domino came out somewhere in mid-late 2000, patent duration means it’ll have 20 years so we’re only about ten years out until it expires unless Bosch figures a way out to make a machine that cuts little loose mortises in a similar format.

Otherwise you can build a router based alternative to a Domino:

And that’s with the Colt, too.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s a nice twist on the horizontal mortiser. Most shop built machines I have seen use some sort of a fixed router arrangement and movable work holder.

That is kind of a biscuit joiner on steroids.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

eventually i will pick up a domino, was going to do it this year but life just got in the way. I prefer the domino way over all other ways because it is easier lol. and i like easy.

Doobie

Otherwise you can build a router based alternative to a Domino:

Clever. Slower, less flexibily, but clever nonetheless.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.510 seconds